FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536472-have-simple-question-about-united-airlines-mileageplus-ask-here-2014-thread.html)

Ocn Vw 1K Mar 24, 2011 1:27 pm

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Older posts may be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-ask-here.html

TokyoBJJ Dec 31, 2013 11:38 pm

Hello all,

First time posting. Question: 2014 is here and some miles didn't post yet from a recent trip that would have put me over my PQM for the next status. My PQM have just reset from the year change. Is there a grace period or something or did they have to hit before year end?
Thanks in advance!

WineCountryUA Jan 1, 2014 12:04 am

Welcome to FT!,TokyoBJJ

Originally Posted by TokyoBJJ (Post 22060344)
..... Question: 2014 is here and some miles didn't post yet from a recent trip that would have put me over my PQM for the next status. My PQM have just reset from the year change. Is there a grace period or something or did they have to hit before year end? ....

yes, miles when posted will credit to the year they were earned. So when they post, your status will be updated.

TokyoBJJ Jan 1, 2014 1:50 am

Thank you for the reply, Happy New Year to you!

DanielS856 Jan 1, 2014 8:44 am

Question on aircraft routes

Where can I find out which aircraft are flying which routes on UA, or even code share partners? I am flying to Munich soon and wonder if I can book routing which allows me to fly in a 747. I'm not picky about connections, routing, or some marginal additional cost. If you have recommendations on where to find such information, or opinions on the best large aircraft from the Washington DC are to Europe, please let me know! The more business class seats available, the better chances of my SWU getting honored ;) Thanks in advance

EmailKid Jan 1, 2014 9:24 am

Originally Posted by DanielS856 (Post 22061597)
Where can I find out which aircraft are flying which routes on UA, or even code share partners? I am flying to Munich soon and wonder if I can book routing which allows me to fly in a 747

Well, due to some well documented problems UA was having with 747s, the only 747 flight currently NOT flying from SFO is LAX-Australia.

But, LH is flying 747-800, the new Intercontinental ex IAD IIRC, and you can call UA to have one of your SWUs converted to be used on IAD-FRA, but only certain fares apply and you only clear at the airport.

Oh, and it's called GPU post merger ;)

WineCountryUA Jan 1, 2014 10:36 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 22061774)
Well, due to some well documented problems UA was having with 747s, the only 747 flight currently NOT flying from SFO is LAX-Australia. .....

747 base is SFO but there a few non-SFO 747 flights like NRT-HNL

January schedule of UA widebodies

With OZ flights going to 777s, rumors is ORD will be getting some 747s in the future.

EmailKid Jan 1, 2014 11:22 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 22062112)
747 base is SFO but there a few non-SFO 747 flights like NRT-HNL

Correct. As is NRT-BKK until 3/29/2014, but I was replying to question about flying to MUC.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 22062112)
With OZ flights going to 777s, rumors is ORD will be getting some 747s in the future.

Correct again. I you looked at schedules (IIRC looked around May or June), schedule reflect UA 747 ex ORD to Europe, but

Originally Posted by DanielS856
I am flying to Munich soon

DanielS856 Jan 1, 2014 1:07 pm

Thanks All. Very helpful. I was thinking that there might have been some website out there that listed flights and routes by aircraft type. The UA widebody schedule was interesting. I wonder if other Star Alliance airlines have such a list? I'm not actually (I was loose with "soon") flying to MUC until late June, so routing through Chicago may work. I will be heading over the pond to other locations a time or two before the MUC trip and would like to go with the best chance of a GPU being honored. Then again, I may go with a Airbus A340 out of EWR on LH or a 777 out of IAD with a GPU conversion. So many choices ;). Thanks again

EmailKid Jan 1, 2014 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by DanielS856 (Post 22062973)
would like to go with the best chance of a GPU being honored. Then again, I may go with a Airbus A340 out of EWR

Well, your best bet then would be UA flight that has R class available at time of booking for TATL flight. Your A340 would require a Paper GPU for that specific flight, and it would ONLY clear at airport, if at all @:-)

And of course no upper deck on A340 ;)

rmannion Jan 1, 2014 4:34 pm

Is there some kind of trick to getting 45W Macbook Air power adapters to work in Economy seating in properly-equipped planes? On a recent PS flight, my adapter (just the 2-prong portion) kept falling out since the seat cushion interfered with the adapter being flush and secure in the power outlet. On other flights where the seat cushion wasn't an issue, it's been hit or miss, working about half the time. I'm guessing using an extension cord could help for cases where the adapter isn't secure - would anyone have any recommendations on a short 2-prong extension cord?

Baze Jan 1, 2014 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by rmannion (Post 22064085)
Is there some kind of trick to getting 45W Macbook Air power adapters to work in Economy seating in properly-equipped planes? On a recent PS flight, my adapter (just the 2-prong portion) kept falling out since the seat cushion interfered with the adapter being flush and secure in the power outlet. On other flights where the seat cushion wasn't an issue, it's been hit or miss, working about half the time. I'm guessing using an extension cord could help for cases where the adapter isn't secure - would anyone have any recommendations on a short 2-prong extension cord?

It sounds like you removed the long cord from the adapter that has 3 prongs and are just using the 2 prong one that goes right on the adapter. An easy solution is to put the long cord with 3 prongs back on then go to any hardware store and by a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter like this.

DanielS856 Jan 1, 2014 4:50 pm

Why no upper deck on A340? First only? Ohhh, you mean that there ISN'T an upper deck! LOL

WineCountryUA Jan 1, 2014 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by DanielS856 (Post 22064162)
Why no upper deck on A340? First only? Ohhh, you mean that there ISN'T an upper deck! LOL

Yeap, you got to go to the A380 to get UD on an Airbus (even then it isn't the same as UD 747)

GregMM Jan 1, 2014 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Baze (Post 22064143)
It sounds like you removed the long cord from the adapter that has 3 prongs and are just using the 2 prong one that goes right on the adapter. An easy solution is to put the long cord with 3 prongs back on then go to any hardware store and by a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter.

I'd just skip the adapter, the 3rd prong should help keep the plug from falling out.