Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think there's actually one plane (with one flight number) that flies MEL-SYD-LAX, and a different plane (with a different flight number) that flies SYD-SFO.

I read the GPU thread and the consensus seems to be that, one way or another, if only the short leg clears then you can get the GPU back. I'm willing to risk it.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
I think there's actually one plane (with one flight number) that flies MEL-SYD-LAX, and a different plane (with a different flight number) that flies SYD-SFO.

I read the GPU thread and the consensus seems to be that, one way or another, if only the short leg clears then you can get the GPU back. I'm willing to risk it.
Ah yes. Forgot about the LAX leg and which plane "goes all the way through".
Old May 19, 2014, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aacharya
Wouldn't MEL-SYD clearing not use up the GPU? Or are the rules not clear on this leg, since it's the same equipment as SYD-SFO?
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
The rule, as written, says that if any BF/GF segment clears then the upgrade is consumed. If there is an exemption for this particular route that's great but it isn't in the published rules.
Old May 19, 2014, 1:36 pm

A relative gifted us his award miles for first class seats DEN-HNL. I picked out seats months ago during booking and have the confirmation, but this morning noticed that while those seats are still listed for the return flight, our flight out the assignments are gone and now all the seats except for 1 are grayed out. He called customer service and was told we'll get seat assignments at the airport. Is there any hope of us getting the seats we originally picked out? TIA
Old May 19, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AllesonWonderland
A relative gifted us his award miles for first class seats DEN-HNL. I picked out seats months ago during booking and have the confirmation, but this morning noticed that while those seats are still listed for the return flight, our flight out the assignments are gone and now all the seats except for 1 are grayed out.
That is very odd (though not surprising). When is the flight and what happens when you try to pick seats?

Pick seats if you can at OLCI.
Old May 19, 2014, 1:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AllesonWonderland
....I picked out seats months ago during booking and have the confirmation, but this morning noticed that while those seats are still listed for the return flight, our flight out the assignments are gone and now all the seats except for 1 are grayed out. He called customer service and was told we'll get seat assignments at the airport. Is there any hope of us getting the seats we originally picked out? TIA
Was there a change in aircraft type? This may be the underlying issue.

While there is reason to be concerned, there is also reasons not to panic or assume the worst.
Old May 19, 2014, 3:48 pm

It's the 1130a direct flight on 6/5. There hasn't been an aircraft change, as far as I can tell. I went ahead and chose the only available seat for us. (It was what we had picked earlier.) So, now if you look at 'view seats' on United's site like you're buying a new ticket, it shows none available in first class. On our reservation the seat has been assigned to my hubby, and I have the dashes for no seat assignment.

I planned to try to select our seats again at OLCI, also we're flying into DEN the night before, so I could swing by the United counter to see if they can help at that time. It would just be a shame to try and surprise my husband with the upgraded flights and then find out we're not sitting anywhere near each other. (Or, since now I've selected the seat for him, he has a spot and I'll have to hang out in Denver instead of Hawaii. Hahahaha)
Old May 19, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Is E-Cert returned (promptly) if itinerary is cancelled within 24 hrs?

Got disparate answers from two agents; was either one correct? The scenario was this: The BHs need to got to a final destination in the Upper Midwest, say BBB, requiring a mainline flight SEA-ORD then UX to BBB & return. We each had a $250 e-cert (the result of a fiasco earlier this year) & as I understood, we had to book separately to apply the e-certs. Question 1: Was I right about this? So I started: went to expert mode, noticed that SEA-ORD was R0, but all other legs were R>0, applied the e-cert & finalized the booking at which point there was a pop-up offering a buy-up to F which I declined & eventually (once the booking was confirmed) upgraded with miles for which Leg1 was waitlisted, while Legs 2,3,4 were confirmed. Ms. BH (also a 1K & in her "over entitled" mode) wasn't too thrilled about the possibility flying E+ SEA-ORD if a waitlisted upgrade didn't come through, so I offered to see what the buy-up might be. Went through the process as before, but this time opened the pop-up & found that there was a $ value quoted for each leg of which SEA-ORD was $199. Hmmm, the e-cert was enough to cover that, so accepted & then went on the upgrade her remaining legs w/ miles. Well, so far so good. Upon reflection, I thought maybe I'd do the same, so called the 1K Desk to see how that could be done. Agent 1 said something to the effect that I don't see that $199. I'd have to charge you something like $750 plus a $200 change fee. Huh, I said, I just want to apply the e-cert, can I get it back & start over? Answer was, not immediately, might take several(?) days even if you could do it. OK, HUCA, went through the scenario w/ Agent 2 who said that, once applied, the e-cert was not returnable. So reflected a bit more & decided to take chances on the wait-list since a 4 hr flight in domestic E+ "ought" to be tolerable despite being in an A320 w/ a slimline seat, or maybe not. Question2: Was either agent correct since all of this occurred within an hour of the original booking, hence within 24 hrs?
Old May 19, 2014, 5:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BH62
Is E-Cert returned (promptly) if itinerary is cancelled within 24 hrs? Got disparate answers from two agents; was either one correct? ....
In general cert are not automatically returned and some certs are single use only and you we get resistances to return those even within the 24 hour window.

... The scenario was this: The BHs need to got to a final destination in the Upper Midwest, say BBB, requiring a mainline flight SEA-ORD then UX to BBB & return. We each had a $250 e-cert (the result of a fiasco earlier this year) & as I understood, we had to book separately to apply the e-certs. Question 1: Was I right about this? ....
Customer inconvenience certs do require separate PNRs in this case.

So I started: went to expert mode, noticed that SEA-ORD was R0, but all other legs were R>0, applied the e-cert & finalized the booking at which point there was a pop-up offering a buy-up to F which I declined & eventually (once the booking was confirmed) upgraded with miles for which Leg1 was waitlisted, while Legs 2,3,4 were confirmed. Ms. BH (also a 1K & in her "over entitled" mode) wasn't too thrilled about the possibility flying E+ SEA-ORD if a waitlisted upgrade didn't come through, so I offered to see what the buy-up might be. Went through the process as before, but this time opened the pop-up & found that there was a $ value quoted for each leg of which SEA-ORD was $199. Hmmm, the e-cert was enough to cover that, so accepted & then went on the upgrade her remaining legs w/ miles. Well, so far so good. Upon reflection, I thought maybe I'd do the same, so called the 1K Desk to see how that could be done. Agent 1 said something to the effect that I don't see that $199. I'd have to charge you something like $750 plus a $200 change fee. Huh, I said, I just want to apply the e-cert, can I get it back & start over? Answer was, not immediately, might take several(?) days even if you could do it. OK, HUCA, went through the scenario w/ Agent 2 who said that, once applied, the e-cert was not returnable. So reflected a bit more & decided to take chances on the wait-list since a 4 hr flight in domestic E+ "ought" to be tolerable despite being in an A320 w/ a slimline seat, or maybe not. Question2: Was either agent correct since all of this occurred within an hour of the original booking, hence within 24 hrs?
A couple of things
Just because 1 person got an upgrade often at a particular prices does not mean another person will get the same offer.
Certain discounted upgrade offers are web site only offers and agents will not see them.

In general (you need to read the specific T&Cs) customer inconvenience certs are one time use only -- not returnable. Occasionally it has been reported some agents might try to re-issue but I suspect that is against policy.

for more (you are not alone), see
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...in-24-hrs.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...to-please.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...in-24-hrs.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rs-ecerts.html
Old May 19, 2014, 7:16 pm

Can I get a refund of frequent flyer miles on a booked reservation? My husband has a broken kneecap and will be in a cast for 6 weeks and cannot travel.

Last edited by l etoile; May 19, 2014 at 7:23 pm Reason: Removed extraneous quote
Old May 19, 2014, 7:41 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by LynnLou
Can I get a refund of frequent flyer miles on a booked reservation? My husband has a broken kneecap and will be in a cast for 6 weeks and cannot travel.
Sure, but if you are not Plat or higher status there will be fees involved @:-)
Old May 19, 2014, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Sure, but if you are not Plat or higher status there will be fees involved @:-)
With a note from a doctor all but $50 of that fee should be refunded after the fact. :-:
Old May 19, 2014, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
With a note from a doctor all but $50 of that fee should be refunded after the fact. :-:
Thanks, good to know, may well be dropping to Gold next year
Old May 20, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite + a bunch of nothings thanks to covid
Advice appreciated

After some assistance about what to do in this scenario:

Flying on an NZ issued ticket, originally 2 x pax in booking, PNR has subsequently been split into 2 PNRs.
Itinerary is CHC-AKL-LAX-PIT-LAX-AKL-CHC, with the LAX to PIT (return) segments on UA.

PNR was split due to husband confirming recognition upgrades from E to C for the LAX-AKL segment on NZ. When this occurred I called NZ to pay $ to amend my ticket to business class for that leg so we would be together. As part of that process I have been placed in first PIT-LAX on 24 May, while husband is still in E (as per original ticket).

I called NZ (as the issuing carrier) to ask about paying $ to upfare PIT-LAX for husband. They said can't do it, and to try calling UA. Called UA, they said call NZ, and that the option they could see was to attempt to use miles + copay to upgrade.

No confirmable upgrade space available, and even if it was the united website only shows an option of 30,000 miles + $600 co-pay (it is treating PIT-AKL-CHC as one segment, not the separate portions). So stupid to attempt that given he is already upgraded on the leg to AKL and the request would only be valid on the UA PIT-LAX segment anyway.

So the way I see it the options are:
1. miles + $ upgrade request over phone to see if they can do the required segment only. Not in favour of this as we have no UA status (NZ Gold) and would have to buy most the miles to get the chance of confirming the upgrade (unlikely?).
2. See if a paid upgrade is offered at checkin (web, mobile, kiosk etc). Is this possible on an NZ issued ticket that involves international travel after this leg?
3. Ask if we can share the seat (eg swap half way through flight). Would this even be permitted? It was suggested an an option by NZ.
4. Give up the seat (by offering to one of the 2 people seated next to him in E+) and, in effect, pay for service but not receive it.
5. One of us takes the flight in F and the other sits in E+ (But we generally have a deal not to accept upgrades for only one of us...)

Can anyone help with advice for a way around this? Quite happy to pay the fare difference, but no one seems to want the money at the moment!
Old May 20, 2014, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by nzchick
Can anyone help with advice for a way around this? Quite happy to pay the fare difference, but no one seems to want the money at the moment!
OK, since no one chimed in so far, here's what I'd try, with no guarantees

Get UA PNR from NZ, go to UAL, put in your last name and PNR and hope that you will get what I normally get when looking at my reservation, namely ability to request u/g segment by segment.

Hope this helps, buy have zero experience with other carriers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.