Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Issues using UA Gift Certificates - [discontinued]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA Gift Certificates Usage

Gift certificates as described here are extremely difficult if not impossible to use on UA.com. UA has discontinued this product and is now routing people to the new UA Travel Registry.

UA states (Nov 2016)
Give loved ones the world
We've decided to discontinue the United gift certificate program
, so gift certificates are no longer available for purchase. You can redeem any existing gift certificates and check your balance on the Check Gift Certificate Balance page. You can still help your family and friends get to where they want to go by purchasing gift miles. On the Buy Miles page, simply select “Give Miles” and log in to your MileagePlus account to get started.

We also invite you to check out united.com gift registry to see if your favorite traveler is registered to receive the gift of United flights.​​​

In order to use your existing gift certs, you will need to call in for ticketing.

Credit to 1KChinito
You can make a reservation online and select:

1. Other forms of payment in payment information
2. Cash in drop down menu if available --- "Pay in Person" is the name for the option now
3. Click purchase

A record locator will be created. You can then call UA with your record locator and your gift card information. This way, your airfare is locked and CSR has a much easier time to retrieve your itinerary instead of creating a new one, saving a lot of time and possible fare increase as you have experienced.

An UA CSR taught me this trick because I was in the middle of making a reservation and was unable to use my gift card. She walked me through the above 3 steps. My reservation was complete in a few minutes.

You may have to babysit your reservation until it is ticketed because it may take several weeks for UA to issue your ticket.
Print Wikipost

Issues using UA Gift Certificates - [discontinued]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:48 pm
FTA

Best Way To Use Gift Certificate

Have a $100 certificate that will expire around summer. I usually fly with miles but couldn't find a way to combine the GC with miles, is there a trick? Is there a trick to extend the expiration date like buying a fully refundable ticket and then cancelling? If all else, whats the best way to sell it? All the major GC buying companies require your driver's license and no way I'm doing that.

[Moderator edit]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 21, 2019 at 9:22 am Reason: Per FT Rule 15
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:14 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
FTA, assuming that you are referring to a United gift certificate (or travel crertificate), I edited your post above, and the thread title in order to focus on the proposed use of the certificate which would be allowed by the program terms. Use of the certificate in other ways could result in serious consequences, including penalizing or closing affected MileagePlus accounts. (See https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...tificates.aspx [last bullet point of the terms and conditions page].)

Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 20, 2019 at 8:43 pm Reason: correct typo
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Give it to a friend or family member.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:45 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by jj1983
Give it to a friend or family member.
They all use miles too
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If you never buy a non-award ticket, the GC is useless.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FTA
Have a $100 certificate that will expire around summer. ...
Is this a UA Gift Certificate ?
If so, when was it acquired?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:12 am

Not GC combine with miles, but you can certainly book one direction with cash (pay with GC included) and book the other direction with miles.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Would it not work for buying an economy plus seat?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:14 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is this a UA Gift Certificate ?
If so, when was it acquired?
Got it a few years ago, expires in a few months

Originally Posted by njcommodore
Would it not work for buying an economy plus seat?
its only $100
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA Gift Certificates were discontinued over 2 years ago and require manual processing by a phone agent. Not available for online usage. See the wiki for how to use.

However, you can not use a combination of miles and "cash" to purchase a ticket. You might be able to use the GC to pay the fees for a mileage ticket.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 24, 2019 at 6:02 pm Reason: missing word
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:05 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by FTA
Is there a trick to extend the expiration date like buying a fully refundable ticket and then cancelling?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You might be able to the GC to pay the fees for a mileage ticket.
Update. Couldn't use the gift certificate to pay for mileage ticket fees but I did buy a refundable ticket and cancelled within 24 hours. Immediately got a email saying I'd be refunded with a ETC but the ETC never came. Called United a few days later and they immediately emailed the ETC no problems. Expiration date is 1 year from the flight date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.