Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Issues using UA Gift Certificates - [discontinued]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA Gift Certificates Usage

Gift certificates as described here are extremely difficult if not impossible to use on UA.com. UA has discontinued this product and is now routing people to the new UA Travel Registry.

UA states (Nov 2016)
Give loved ones the world
We've decided to discontinue the United gift certificate program
, so gift certificates are no longer available for purchase. You can redeem any existing gift certificates and check your balance on the Check Gift Certificate Balance page. You can still help your family and friends get to where they want to go by purchasing gift miles. On the Buy Miles page, simply select “Give Miles” and log in to your MileagePlus account to get started.

We also invite you to check out united.com gift registry to see if your favorite traveler is registered to receive the gift of United flights.​​​

In order to use your existing gift certs, you will need to call in for ticketing.

Credit to 1KChinito
You can make a reservation online and select:

1. Other forms of payment in payment information
2. Cash in drop down menu if available --- "Pay in Person" is the name for the option now
3. Click purchase

A record locator will be created. You can then call UA with your record locator and your gift card information. This way, your airfare is locked and CSR has a much easier time to retrieve your itinerary instead of creating a new one, saving a lot of time and possible fare increase as you have experienced.

An UA CSR taught me this trick because I was in the middle of making a reservation and was unable to use my gift card. She walked me through the above 3 steps. My reservation was complete in a few minutes.

You may have to babysit your reservation until it is ticketed because it may take several weeks for UA to issue your ticket.
Print Wikipost

Issues using UA Gift Certificates - [discontinued]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 7:40 am

Vanishing Gift Certificate Balance - CSR Runaround

I have a gift certificate that was purchased in February of 2015. I used part of that certificate in 2015 and promptly forgot about the rest. Finding the certificate, I attempted to use the balance on a new booking last month, only to be told that there was no balance left. I've spent about four hours on the phone with CSRs, and submitted two online requests. The CSR's tell me to submit it online, and the online response is to call customer support. No one is able to tell how/where the balance of the gift certificate went, and I suspect shenanigans on the part of UA.

Do I have any additional options for trying to resolve this with UA prior to contacting the NYS Attorney General or other consumer protection group?

It's not a huge amount of money, but it's not peanuts either. The way that UA handled the discontinuance of gift certificates makes me suspect that some executive decided to sweep the balance of unused certs to a quarterly earnings line.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Does this link report anything?
Old May 9, 2018, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That link says the gift certificate number is invalid. I have the original receipt from buying the ticket but it just lists the payment type as "Misc Document".
Old May 9, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by skimple
That link says the gift certificate number is invalid. I have the original receipt from buying the ticket but it just lists the payment type as "Misc Document".
Call back and specifically ask for that department handles UA Gift Certificates. That department is located in the Philippines. In addition to gift certificate number, you need to provide your email address and verify your identity. They will not discuss any information with you if certificate belongs to someone else.

It is best to have them issue your ticket so certificate will be applied properly.

Good luck and please come back and let us know your result.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Unfortunately you're not entitled to anything for the debacle, but if you raise enough hell with them you could probably get a free drink chit or a small monetary value GC. Had a similar issue with UA in the past, I complained about it and they sent me a $50 gift certificate. Best of luck!
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:49 am

Is there a trick to cashing out an e-gift certificate or use it for something else? Thank you
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCHF
Is there a trick to cashing out an e-gift certificate or use it for something else? Thank you
Unless e-gift certificate is something other than ETC or Travelbank, no there is no way to use for anything other than a flight.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Unless e-gift certificate is something other than ETC or Travelbank, no there is no way to use for anything other than a flight.
So ETC and Travelbank can be used for other things? Thank you
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCHF
So ETC and Travelbank can be used for other things? Thank you
No, they cannot be used for other things. I assume you are referring to either ETC or Travelbank funds.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
I assume you are referring to either ETC or Travelbank funds.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Gift Certificate T&Cs
Gift Certificates can be used for air travel purchases, including tickets, taxes and surcharges, made on united.com only. Gift Certificates cannot be used toward checked baggage service charges or non-ticket purchases, including but not limited to Economy Plus®, Premier Access®, Award Accelerator®, Premier AcceleratorSM and Personal Miles®.
Valid for use on flights operated by United and United Express® only.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The T&Cs quoted are silent on the question of whether the gift certificate could be applied to MUA co-pays or ToD upgrades. Any ideas whether these could be applied in practice?

-James
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
The T&Cs quoted are silent on the question of whether the gift certificate could be applied to MUA co-pays or ToD upgrades. Any ideas whether these could be applied in practice? ....
As those are generally fees, no.
If you actually upfared, maybe.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by j2simpso
The T&Cs quoted are silent on the question of whether the gift certificate could be applied to MUA co-pays or ToD upgrades.
It looks pretty clear to me that it's tickets, taxes, and surcharges only.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Can’t combine gift certs??

Bought bunch of them for myself when they were still sold for my AmEx Platinum airline benefit.
I am now told I can’t combine them. Seemed to be mass confusion and no one seems to know but I tried 3 different people and all told me same after putting me on hold 10 minutes each. They claim web services handles this and they can’t do it.
Super annoying.

Anyone that has been able to successfully do this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.