Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Issues using UA Gift Certificates - [discontinued]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA Gift Certificates Usage

Gift certificates as described here are extremely difficult if not impossible to use on UA.com. UA has discontinued this product and is now routing people to the new UA Travel Registry.

UA states (Nov 2016)
Give loved ones the world
We've decided to discontinue the United gift certificate program
, so gift certificates are no longer available for purchase. You can redeem any existing gift certificates and check your balance on the Check Gift Certificate Balance page. You can still help your family and friends get to where they want to go by purchasing gift miles. On the Buy Miles page, simply select “Give Miles” and log in to your MileagePlus account to get started.

We also invite you to check out united.com gift registry to see if your favorite traveler is registered to receive the gift of United flights.​​​

In order to use your existing gift certs, you will need to call in for ticketing.

Credit to 1KChinito
You can make a reservation online and select:

1. Other forms of payment in payment information
2. Cash in drop down menu if available --- "Pay in Person" is the name for the option now
3. Click purchase

A record locator will be created. You can then call UA with your record locator and your gift card information. This way, your airfare is locked and CSR has a much easier time to retrieve your itinerary instead of creating a new one, saving a lot of time and possible fare increase as you have experienced.

An UA CSR taught me this trick because I was in the middle of making a reservation and was unable to use my gift card. She walked me through the above 3 steps. My reservation was complete in a few minutes.

You may have to babysit your reservation until it is ticketed because it may take several weeks for UA to issue your ticket.
Print Wikipost

Issues using UA Gift Certificates - [discontinued]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by brocelo
So I used my gift certificate on an old flight but for some reason the purchase never went through. Fast forward to today I cant use my gift certificate over the internet and over the phone. Am i SOL?
If your old flight was not ticketed, do you have a record locator? UA CSR can pull up that record locator and see its history and determine why it was not ticketed. CSR can easily remedy the situation. Is this itinerary for the future or has passed already?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:30 pm

data point:

called on 10/1 to apply a gift certificate for a flight on 10/24.
ticketed on 10/7.

still waiting for another reservation to be ticketed.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
You can make a reservation online and select:

1. Other forms of payment in payment information
2. Cash in drop down menu if available
3. Click purchase

A record locator will be created. You can then call UA with your record locator and your gift card information. This way, your airfare is locked and CSR has a much easier time to retrieve your itinerary instead of creating a new one, saving a lot of time and possible fare increase as you have experienced.

An UA CSR taught me this trick because I was in the middle of making a reservation and was unable to use my gift card. She walked me through the above 3 steps. My reservation was complete in a few minutes.

You may have to babysit your reservation until it is ticketed because it may take several weeks for UA to issue your ticket.
All true, except I have a $700 Electronic Gift Cert, I was attempting to use a portion of it on an all UA flight. The web desk instructed me (as above) to book it using the cash, pay at UA airport desk option, then explained that my cert will show up and replace the cash payment. That was a month ago (my flight is in March 2017), it is still showing cash, pay at UA site. When I called, an agent said there are notes on the reservation explaining that I will be using the gift cert, and that at "some point" it will cover the cost and not to worry ??
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by mauld
All true, except I have a $700 Electronic Gift Cert, I was attempting to use a portion of it on an all UA flight. The web desk instructed me (as above) to book it using the cash, pay at UA airport desk option, then explained that my cert will show up and replace the cash payment. That was a month ago (my flight is in March 2017), it is still showing cash, pay at UA site. When I called, an agent said there are notes on the reservation explaining that I will be using the gift cert, and that at "some point" it will cover the cost and not to worry ??
I would call UA now and follow up. It should not take a month to ticket.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Strange as it may seem, checking today "Magically", my ticket is fully booked with payment method stating 'Alternate Payment'. Could someone from UA be monitoring this site
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by mauld
Strange as it may seem, checking today "Magically", my ticket is fully booked with payment method stating 'Alternate Payment'. Could someone from UA be monitoring this site
Good to know. Check your add/collect amount, if any, making sure it is correct. If you have a credit balance remaining on your gift cert, you should receive an email from UA with new credit balance and new gift cert number.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I tried to buy a gift certificate and the link appears to be down. From reading this thread this may have been an issue in the past.

Does anyone know if this is a web glitch or if they are no longer available for purchase?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
I tried to buy a gift certificate and the link appears to be down. From reading this thread this may have been an issue in the past.

Does anyone know if this is a web glitch or if they are no longer available for purchase?
UA states
Give loved ones the world
We've decided to discontinue the United gift certificate program
, so gift certificates are no longer available for purchase. You can redeem any existing gift certificates and check your balance on the Check Gift Certificate Balance page. You can still help your family and friends get to where they want to go by purchasing gift miles. On the Buy Miles page, simply select “Give Miles” and log in to your MileagePlus account to get started.

We also invite you to check out united.com gift registry to see if your favorite traveler is registered to receive the gift of United flights.​​​
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Can I gift my US Gift card to anyone?

I sent myself a United gift card a couple years ago for $100. The gift card was sent to myself from myself and has a gift card number assigned to it.

can I send the email with the gift card number to anyone and they can use it? Or is it only allotted to me because I sent it to myself originally?

Thanks
Eric
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You can give it to anyone you like. I always send gift cards to myself and hand them out personally.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by elg26
can I send the email with the gift card number to anyone and they can use it? Or is it only allotted to me because I sent it to myself originally? ....
While new GC purchases have been discontinued, existing GCs will be valid for 5 years after purchase. See the thread's wiki for the redeeming instructions.

As for transferability, the T&Cs says they are fully transferable.

Gift Certificates are fully transferrable until redeemed. However, Gift Certificates may not be sold by anyone other than United. Any Gift Certificate sold by a party other than United is void, and United reserves the right to take any or all of the following actions in connection with a third-party sale of a Gift Certificate: 1) invalidate the Gift Certificate and associated ticket; 2) cancel any remaining portion of the traveler’s itinerary; 3) refuse to board the traveler or carry the traveler’s baggage; 4) assess the traveler for the actual value of the ticket; 5) delete miles in the traveler’s MileagePlus account or take any other action permitted by the Rules for MileagePlus Program; and 6) take legal action against the traveler or third-party seller of the Gift Certificate.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While new GC purchases have been discontinued, existing GCs will be valid for 5 years after purchase. See the thread's wiki for the redeeming instructions.

As for transferability, the T&Cs says they are fully transferable.
thanks. Do you know if there are issues with United gift card balance page? I decided to check the balance online since I have 5 different ones and I want to check which one still have balances. But when I do it they all say the number is invalid....

I was pretty sure I least had balance on a couple of them.... they aren't expired....Does Invalid mean No Balance?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by elg26
I was pretty sure I least had balance on a couple of them.... they aren't expired....Does Invalid mean No Balance?
It is a common issue if your card is more than a year old. You need to call in and get your balance. If you save your emails, you can search original and subsequent emails from UA. Each time you use your card, UA sends you an email with remaining balance.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Glad I found this thread. I had a 3-year old electronic gift certificate that I didn't think I had used, yet when trying to check the balance online, received an error message that the number was invalid. I called the 1K line and the agent wasn't knowledgeable about them. Then I called web support and the guy knew immediately what I was talking about. Since I was ready to book the ticket, he handled everything from there.

The travel is in about 10 weeks. At the end of the call, he told me that there were 73 such tickets in queue that had to be issued, and that there are 2 people who do this each day. He then said because these are handled based on date of departure, it would likely be a while before the ticket was issued. He told me that if the ticket isn't issued before a week prior to departure, to call web support and ask for the ticket to be processed.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:49 pm

I can confirm everything FlytheTail reported. I had a 4.5 year old cert that I wanted to use plus paying the remainder on a credit card. They told me I could expect ticketing anytime between now and 7 days before departure in Oct.

My reservation was held using Farelock. After I finished talking to the agent, I found that the lock was still set to expire so I called back. The second agent modified the hold to expire on the day of departure, ensuring that I'll get the locked fare when it's eventually ticketed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.