Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Issues using UA Gift Certificates - [discontinued]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA Gift Certificates Usage

Gift certificates as described here are extremely difficult if not impossible to use on UA.com. UA has discontinued this product and is now routing people to the new UA Travel Registry.

UA states (Nov 2016)
Give loved ones the world
We've decided to discontinue the United gift certificate program
, so gift certificates are no longer available for purchase. You can redeem any existing gift certificates and check your balance on the Check Gift Certificate Balance page. You can still help your family and friends get to where they want to go by purchasing gift miles. On the Buy Miles page, simply select “Give Miles” and log in to your MileagePlus account to get started.

We also invite you to check out united.com gift registry to see if your favorite traveler is registered to receive the gift of United flights.​​​

In order to use your existing gift certs, you will need to call in for ticketing.

Credit to 1KChinito
You can make a reservation online and select:

1. Other forms of payment in payment information
2. Cash in drop down menu if available --- "Pay in Person" is the name for the option now
3. Click purchase

A record locator will be created. You can then call UA with your record locator and your gift card information. This way, your airfare is locked and CSR has a much easier time to retrieve your itinerary instead of creating a new one, saving a lot of time and possible fare increase as you have experienced.

An UA CSR taught me this trick because I was in the middle of making a reservation and was unable to use my gift card. She walked me through the above 3 steps. My reservation was complete in a few minutes.

You may have to babysit your reservation until it is ticketed because it may take several weeks for UA to issue your ticket.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

I bought a $200 UA gift certificate about 10 days ago so I could [hopefully] get the $200 back from Amex, since I have Platinum card. I purchase it, and never get a confirmation e-mail. I see a "pending" $200 charge on my Amex for four days, then it goes away, turns out UA didn't issue it? So I try again, and this one gets e-mailed, but this time, I can't use it when I try a few days later!!! So yesterday, I spend 45 min on the phone with web support, and they need to do it manually, for a $25 fee (). Finally they agree to waive the fee, and all is allegedly done. The flight was booked yesterday, through web support, for a flight tomorrow. Of course, I don't get confirmation e-mail, and the UA website says my ticket hasn't been paid for. So, after 45 min on the phone, I get transferred to the 1K desk, because apparently they are the only ones that can fix the problem. But of course, they can't fix it themselves, they need to put me on hold while some other desk fixes it.

Total time wasted on purchasing and redeeming gift certificate - almost 3 hours of aggravation.

Also, how much comp. should I be entitled to for this debacle? This was a very straightforward process - booking flight from IAH to LGA, and using gift certificate. no fancy itinerary, nothing!
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Also, how much comp. should I be entitled to for this debacle?
$0

You can ask for more and you might get some but you are entitled to nil.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
I'd be really surprised if you received anything for this sort of complaint.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I had no trouble issuing and using a $200 cert just two days ago (thank you AMEX Plat!)...sorry you had issues.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:23 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
I had a gift cert that wouldn't work online... I had to spend 30 minutes on hold with web support, they finally just issued me a tcva ecert for the same amount.

I didn't ask for any additional compensation.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I had no trouble issuing and using a $200 cert just two days ago (thank you AMEX Plat!)...sorry you had issues.
the 1K lady told me that this happens often, but that they track these issues and that it would be sent to some department to try and avoid this problem in the future. She had a Texas accent, so I didn't say anything untoward, towards shares.

Originally Posted by bajrbajr
I had a gift cert that wouldn't work online... I had to spend 30 minutes on hold with web support, they finally just issued me a tcva ecert for the same amount.

I didn't ask for any additional compensation.
Yes, but yours was handled properly. I wasted almost 3 hours total, to book a simple one-way from LGA to IAH! What really gets me is the fact that the first reservation wasn't booked properly, and that if I hadn't checked it yesterday, I would have lost it as it was only placed on "Hold". The 1K lady said the first lady (from India) did not do anything wrong, that it was all computer problems.

I would think UA would recognize the importance of giving comp in situations like these, otherwise a customer will think "why the hell fly with these guys, if it takes 3 hours and much frustration to book a direct one way flight?"
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:55 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
the 1K lady told me that this happens often, but that they track these issues and that it would be sent to some department to try and avoid this problem in the future. She had a Texas accent, so I didn't say anything untoward, towards shares.
Oh, well, thank god you didn't offend SHARES! She might've hung up and reported you to the FB.. FA... CI.... what was the relevance of this again? None.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:31 am

United Gft Certificates - worthless for most international flights?

Hi,
I tried to book an international roundtrip flight on United.com using their Gift Certificate. I found a good itinerary via Orbitz flight search, but United search engine could not find it for some reason, so I called and booked this itinerary over the phone. Everything looked good, until I mentioned that I wanted to use $200 Gift Certificate and then pay the rest with credit card. The lady put me on hold, talked to her colleagues and then said I could not use GC because this flight was partially operated by another airline (part United, part Lufthansa). So I had to pay the full price (>$2k) with credit card.
My question is - Did anybody have the same trouble with them? Is it possible, for instance, to make them accept their GC and get a $200 refund to credit card? Or some other good suggestions?
To me this looks wrong - they already got money for the GC, and they don't let me pay with it? Makes it worthless in most cases for international travel.
---
P.S. I read Terms & Conditions - Valid for use on flights operated by United Airlines and United Express only - this does not say anything about booking, just using "on flights".
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Andyh80
Hi,
I tried to book an international roundtrip flight on United.com using their Gift Certificate. I found a good itinerary via Orbitz flight search, but United search engine could not find it for some reason, so I called and booked this itinerary over the phone. Everything looked good, until I mentioned that I wanted to use $200 Gift Certificate and then pay the rest with credit card. The lady put me on hold, talked to her colleagues and then said I could not use GC because this flight was partially operated by another airline (part United, part Lufthansa). So I had to pay the full price (>$2k) with credit card.
My question is - Did anybody have the same trouble with them? Is it possible, for instance, to make them accept their GC and get a $200 refund to credit card? Or some other good suggestions?
To me this looks wrong - they already got money for the GC, and they don't let me pay with it? Makes it worthless in most cases for international travel.
---
P.S. I read Terms & Conditions - Valid for use on flights operated by United Airlines and United Express only - this does not say anything about booking, just using "on flights".
Haha- "on flights" means exactly that, towards the purchase of a flight. United has had this same certificate policy for as long as I can remember.

Now you know
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:31 am

Well ... I booked a United flight on United.com. Some segments are operated by Lufthansa, their partner. IMHO, they must accept their gift certificates for this kind of purcahses.
I am asking people if they were successful paying with GC for multi-carrier flights, where United was the primary airline?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by Andyh80
Well ... I booked a United flight on United.com. Some segments are operated by Lufthansa, their partner. IMHO, they must accept their gift certificates for this kind of purcahses.
I am asking people if they were successful paying with GC for multi-carrier flights, where United was the primary airline?
No, they don't. The gift certificates are valid only on purely-UA operated itinerary. I had no problem using them for SFO-HKG on a UA-operated, UA-marketed itinerary.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by unavaca
No, they don't. The gift certificates are valid only on purely-UA operated itinerary. I had no problem using them for SFO-HKG on a UA-operated, UA-marketed itinerary.
Except the T&Cs don't say that it has to be on a purely-UA operated itinerary. It says its only valid for UA flights. So presumably, the GC could be used to pay for the portion of the itinerary that was on UA.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Except the T&Cs don't say that it has to be on a purely-UA operated itinerary. It says its only valid for UA flights. So presumably, the GC could be used to pay for the portion of the itinerary that was on UA.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...tificates.aspx

"Valid for use on flights operated by United Airlines and United Express® only."

Shrug.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by unavaca
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...tificates.aspx

"Valid for use on flights operated by United Airlines and United Express® only."

Shrug.
Right, no mention of itinerary. Just flights.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Sometimes I've been able to split an itinerary so that a code share segment is on one part, while the other part is straight UA/UX. Then, I can use the e-cert on the pure UA/UX segment.

I've done this in North America with AC and US code shares and in Asia with NH, but never TATL . It might not price out to your advantage in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.