Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Issues using UA Gift Certificates - [discontinued]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA Gift Certificates Usage

Gift certificates as described here are extremely difficult if not impossible to use on UA.com. UA has discontinued this product and is now routing people to the new UA Travel Registry.

UA states (Nov 2016)
Give loved ones the world
We've decided to discontinue the United gift certificate program
, so gift certificates are no longer available for purchase. You can redeem any existing gift certificates and check your balance on the Check Gift Certificate Balance page. You can still help your family and friends get to where they want to go by purchasing gift miles. On the Buy Miles page, simply select “Give Miles” and log in to your MileagePlus account to get started.

We also invite you to check out united.com gift registry to see if your favorite traveler is registered to receive the gift of United flights.​​​

In order to use your existing gift certs, you will need to call in for ticketing.

Credit to 1KChinito
You can make a reservation online and select:

1. Other forms of payment in payment information
2. Cash in drop down menu if available --- "Pay in Person" is the name for the option now
3. Click purchase

A record locator will be created. You can then call UA with your record locator and your gift card information. This way, your airfare is locked and CSR has a much easier time to retrieve your itinerary instead of creating a new one, saving a lot of time and possible fare increase as you have experienced.

An UA CSR taught me this trick because I was in the middle of making a reservation and was unable to use my gift card. She walked me through the above 3 steps. My reservation was complete in a few minutes.

You may have to babysit your reservation until it is ticketed because it may take several weeks for UA to issue your ticket.
Print Wikipost

Issues using UA Gift Certificates - [discontinued]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Refunds is the department you need but I believe the main avenue of contact there is web, not phone. And I'm betting against you getting a refund. Sorry.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Why not just apply it to your next flight?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:36 pm

for people who is having the gift certificate problem,
let's complaint to the new United CEO website: https://unitedairtime.com/
Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:23 pm

the whole united gift card/gift bank system is a disaster. all my valid gift certs are showing up as invalid. and even though in my account where it clearly states i have a balance in my united travel bank, when i reach the checkout page it shows a zero balance.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
These certs are really screwed up. When you buy one, look at the certificate number--it is a six character PNR followed by a ticket number beginning in 016.

The problem comes when you don't use the cert all in one shot--say I bought a $159 ticket with a $200 cert and had $41 in residual credit. If I try to use the same cert number next time around, I always encounter an error message.

Why? Because a new ticket number is issued for the residual credit. The problem? UA doesn't send out an e-mail with the new certificate number! So you have to call and ask for it.

What a pain. At least the travel credits don't have that problem.
This same thing happened to me and I did not get the new cert to my email. What is the phone number you called to get the new certificate number?

I called the online-web support and they could not retrieve the new certificate number.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:42 pm

Bump, is anyone else running into these issues?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'm having this trouble as well. What number did you dial to get this sorted out? United has passed me from representative to representative and no one seems able to look into this issue for me.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:52 pm
She

Having this problem right now. Trying to book some flights and use up some gift registry dollars I have but when I get to the payment page it shows as $0 Available Funds
Has anyone ever been able to get this resolved?
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
United to "Reinvent" Gift Certificates

Maybe a good thing considering how poorly they handled gift certificates in the past. Lessons could be learned from Southwest and Alaska. Both handle gift cards flawlessly IMO.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...tificates.aspx
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
would be nice to see physical gift cards in supermarkets and drug stores (like WN does).

i'd probably still pay for all of my travel with the MP credit card because of the built-in trip protection, but 5% quarterly cashback from various credit cards at retailers that sell gift cards is cool too.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Interesting how they just cut them off abruptly like that. I wonder if they were found to be violating some sort of gift card law(s) somewhere.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by channa
Interesting how they just cut them off abruptly like that. I wonder if they were found to be violating some sort of gift card law(s) somewhere.
United did claim a 5-year expiration. Though that would be against the law in California...
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by channa
per the webpage
You can still redeem any existing gift certificates
it is just
gift certificates are temporarily not available for purchase
Neither should create any issues.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes it does. I buy $25 airline GC when I fly on FlexPerks awards, and get those $25 reimbursed. Until they fix this I lose that $25 benefit. Let's hope they fix before 4/13, when I have my next UA Flexperks flight

Last edited by CaptainMiles; Mar 13, 2016 at 6:14 am
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Of course they're going to honor existing certificates, that would create a huge problem for them if they didn't.

But not selling future ones? That is definitely suspect. Gift cards/gift certificates have huge breakage and are normally profit centers for merchants. There must be a reason they stopped selling them abruptly, because it is likely costing them some money to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.