Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
There are many unanswered questions as to how various types of changes will be handled. And even when we have some data points, the answers vary widely depending on agent draw - some report changes granted generously, others report rejection.

And yet people keep asking these questions as if there is some universally correct "answer" to what are at this point unanswerable hypotheticals.

So the best answer right now to these sorts of questions really is, "we don't know, please let us know what happens when you try."
Yeah, but if people don't even know the issue, they don't know to provide the data point.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by transparent
In my case, yes. Why?
gathering information to draw conclusions. New ticket numbers definitely imply ticket reissue I believe (which is what one would expect, not just a revalidation)
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by jasonvr
gathering information to draw conclusions. New ticket numbers definitely imply ticket reissue I believe (which is what one would expect, not just a revalidation)

but surely this doesnt matter because original date of tkt reservation will remain in the record?
i had a tkt changed just today and it says issued feb 6th.
however in the record it says date created jan 14th and miles are as previous -so dont think this should be an issue..
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
but surely this doesnt matter because original date of tkt reservation will remain in the record?
however in the record it says date created jan 14th and miles are as previous -so dont think this should be an issue..
It means they reticketed you but did not reprice the ticket. This is useful information. There was much (eduated) speculation prior to the devaulation that a reticketing would result in a reprice.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:54 am

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3 Feb. 2014

Happily report to you that I was able to get an agent to exchange my ticket on my return LH light from I to O without any extra miles nor taxes not the fee.

Background: it was ticketed as part of F redemption from BKK-(TG O)-FRA-(LH I)-IAD. A FC seat became finally available on my return flight date Feb 16. I snatched the last seat!! Woohoo! Mind you the ticket was originally issued back in May last year. It wasn't ticketed before UA announcement for the additional mileage.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:31 am

Hi!

Which source is more true: award charts or calculator?
For example: JFK -(LX, E)-> ZRH -(LX, B)-> TXL

The calculator shows price of the mixed cabin = 57.500 miles (used United award chart -> Saver/Business), but SWISS (LX) is a partner airline and route doesn't include travel on United. I don't understand this calculation.

I think that this route should be priced at the StarAlliance mileage award amount: it's equal to 70000 miles (because ZRH->TXL in Business).
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:40 am

Hi everyone,

.............. Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines

Originally Posted by wyoon
Happily report to you that I was able to get an agent to exchange my ticket on my return LH light from I to O without any extra miles nor taxes not the fee.

Background: it was ticketed as part of F redemption from BKK-(TG O)-FRA-(LH I)-IAD. A FC seat became finally available on my return flight date Feb 16. I snatched the last seat!! Woohoo! Mind you the ticket was originally issued back in May last year. It wasn't ticketed before UA announcement for the additional mileage.
UA Insider said three times "cabin ... can't change":

(cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
(cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
(carrier and cabin can’t change)

Does he mean maximum redemption level of award can't change? If you redeemed a F award, it would seem logical based on past practice (i.e. changing to higher cabin levels as they open up), that you should be able to change to the highest allowed cabin on your award when the seats become available?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Kacee
Always.

If I get the sense the agent isn't with me, or not on top of his/her game, I politely thank him/her and move along. Too many horror stories on here about itineraries getting completely messed up.
+1

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
It is still an issue, ticket is good one year from issue, so the new ticket's clock should start Feb 6. This was why I asked the question whether additional changes can be made to prolong the life of the original price.

The second question I asked several pages ago was if change can be made more than once, whether the following is possible:
a) change 30 April LAX-NRT to 30 June LAX-NRT, get a new ticket; then b) change 30 June LAX-NRT to 30 June SFO-ICN (and if old price still valid, this could lead to additional changes such as change 30 June SFO-ICN to 15 September SFO-ICN....

Last edited by PanAmWT; Feb 6, 2014 at 3:03 am
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
duplicate please delete

Last edited by PanAmWT; Feb 6, 2014 at 3:02 am
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:18 am

Increase in ff reqts: just international:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...ited-travelers Is this affecting just international routes?

Not worrying about Delta-- their requirements already seem higher.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both UA's and DL's increases were announced last year and there are several existing threads discussing the increases. There is no new "news" here (notice the article is dated from December). Here is the existing thread for UA's increases -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eb-2014-a.html
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Wonder where OP has been during the last few weeks' burn-burn-burn booking frenzy...
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by BF263533
Does he mean maximum redemption level of award can't change? If you redeemed a F award, it would seem logical based on past practice (i.e. changing to higher cabin levels as they open up), that you should be able to change to the highest allowed cabin on your award when the seats become available?
That's my read as well. In other words:

Scenario 1: BKK-(TG O)-FRA-(LH I)-IAD

If change LH I to LH O, no reprice because you already paid a one way first class award;

If change TG O to TG I (don't know who will do that), will trigger reprice.

Scenario 2: BKK-(TG I)-FRA-(LH I)-IAD

If change LH I to LH O, will trigger reprice because now you are redeeming a one way first class award;

If change TG I to LH I (don't know who will do that), no reprice
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:37 am
RNE

Originally Posted by transparent
Haha.. in this case, was trying to avoid LHR... the only place in the world so far I have been forced to go through a nude-o-scope...
Ah, nostalgia. As a kid, I always wanted a nude-o-scope! Anyway, I too try to avoid LHR because of, well, it's LHR. And FRA's not much better. I miss SkyTeam. Ah, nostalgia.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
:-::-::-::-::-::-::-:

If I am booked ATH-MUC-YYZ-BOS on Lufthansa, then Air Canada from YYZ to BOS...

Can I switch to ATH-MUC-BOS, all on Lufthansa, and get rid of the extra Air Canada leg??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.