Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We’ve identified an issue where customers are intentionally manipulating our website to set up award reservations and attempt to ticket with an account that does not have enough miles to complete the ticket. We will not honor these reservations.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We have a quick update related to the manipulation of united.com to book award tickets with insufficient miles that occurred last month. Specifically, we are closing new MileagePlus accounts that were assumed to be set up with the express purpose of attempting to redeem award tickets without the required number of award miles.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

UA: SFO - HI $80 return 23th/31th (Oct)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: Hertz PLAT, Mile Runner, Blue Screen.
the reason they are not ticketing is because "there are insufficient miles in the account" the first few people were lucky, the rest of us aren't getting our tickets ticketed. - without adding the miles in that is..
the system now will not issue the ticket until there are sufficient miles in the account. please correct me if i'm wrong.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rcarentals
the reason they are not ticketing is because "there are insufficient miles in the account" the first few people were lucky, the rest of us aren't getting our tickets ticketed. - without adding the miles in that is..
the system now will not issue the ticket until there are sufficient miles in the account. please correct me if i'm wrong.
I don't think anyone got ticketed. Am I wrong?

Last edited by Bacopa; Oct 13, 2013 at 8:30 am
Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold) / SPG Gold / Intercontinental Ambassador / AMEX Platinum
UA: SFO - HI $80 return 23th/31th (Oct)

I don't think anyone was ticketed.

How ever I do know someone booked a fare last night for today, early AM. Wondering if that individual made it past security and onto the plane
Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
So if you click the cancel/refund button, does it give you "back" the 40,000 miles you never had?? You gotta love SHARES....how many of these type of "glitches" have we had in the last 6 months???
I don't know....I'd say SHARES is doing what it's supposed to. Not ticketing invalid (hacked) itineraries. All this nonsense is happening in the website, before it ever get to SHARES. And while it may be a bug...from what I've read so far, it's not the result of someone trying to normally ticket a reward or travel, but rather hacking, to manipulate the system.
Kind of amusing really. we now have 120+ posts of ... 'What did you do? Where did you click to? How can I do that? . It built a inerary for me!!......ohh gee...it didn't ticket."
Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by xzh445
I don't know....I'd say SHARES is doing what it's supposed to. Not ticketing invalid (hacked) itineraries. All this nonsense is happening in the website, before it ever get to SHARES. And while it may be a bug...from what I've read so far, it's not the result of someone trying to normally ticket a reward or travel, but rather hacking, to manipulate the system.
Kind of amusing really. we now have 120+ posts of ... 'What did you do? Where did you click to? How can I do that? . It built a inerary for me!!......ohh gee...it didn't ticket."
Correct -- i've encountered it a few times in the CO days (when trying to book multiple types of tickets) so it's not news. Just bad website programming.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I don't think anyone expects that any of these will actually ticket. I certainly dn't.
I don't think it matters. The fact that so many are trying to scam the system... I thought better of this forum.

I suppose you are suggesting that if it actually did ticket, those who purchased would cancel - because it's all just a an exercise?

Originally Posted by gohan403
Whatever you do dont call UA this time!!!! Lol...
Boo. The ethics here are really bothering me.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
That was amusing. I think I'm dne... time for bed.
I wonder how many of the self proclaimed business owners/executives on this forum would find it amusing to have people
A) Hacking their website to steal or
B) Using website Cycles for their amusement? ......... on THEIR site?

Originally Posted by zrs70
I don't think it matters. The fact that so many are trying to scam the system... I thought better of this forum.

I suppose you are suggesting that if it actually did ticket, those who purchased would cancel - because it's all just a an exercise?
^ +1

Last edited by xzh445; Oct 13, 2013 at 9:31 am
Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: United 1P; AA Gold; National EE; SPG Plat; HH Gold; Fairmont Plat
I have booked tickets before where UA hasn't deducted the miles for 24 hours; I could have then booked other tickets but they wouldn't have ticketed even while generating confirmation numbers as there would be insufficent miles to ticket automatically and the person assigned to ticket manually would never ticket them. This is the same thing...
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by zrs70
Boo. The ethics here are really bothering me.
Then don't follow the thread?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:38 am

doesn't work, afaik.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by sis22
I don't think anyone was ticketed.

How ever I do know someone booked a fare last night for today, early AM. Wondering if that individual made it past security and onto the plane
If they weren't ticketed they got nowhere near security without a BP. No BP will issue without a valid ticket behind it so I doubt they got on the plane

-RM
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:20 pm

it also says "1 Reward: $90,000" i wonder what that means...
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by patriots12
Then don't follow the thread?
Encouraging and condoning unethical behavior? Boo on you.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold) / SPG Gold / Intercontinental Ambassador / AMEX Platinum
Any idea on how long we have before the tax payment is non-refundable? Just want to cancel. While it was fun while it lasted, doubt these tickets will be honored at all............
Old Oct 13, 2013, 5:13 pm

It's always done this. It's showing just the taxes and not the fare because some state's been lost when you hit back. I'm sure it's a bug in the presentation layer that's formatting the information for the screen, not the booking engine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.