Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We’ve identified an issue where customers are intentionally manipulating our website to set up award reservations and attempt to ticket with an account that does not have enough miles to complete the ticket. We will not honor these reservations.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Hi everyone,

We have a quick update related to the manipulation of united.com to book award tickets with insufficient miles that occurred last month. Specifically, we are closing new MileagePlus accounts that were assumed to be set up with the express purpose of attempting to redeem award tickets without the required number of award miles.

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

UA: SFO - HI $80 return 23th/31th (Oct)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:58 pm

Hi everyone,

We’ve identified an issue where customers are intentionally manipulating our website to set up award reservations and attempt to ticket with an account that does not have enough miles to complete the ticket. We will not honor these reservations.

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Of course, change "not enough miles" to "not enough money on their credit card" and you arrive at the same end result: No ticketing. So how is this quote even noteworthy? You wouldn't honor tickets in either situation.

Unless of course we are spinning this away from the real story: How everyday-type people had two concurrent windows open on their computer, refreshed each of them only to find another hole in the I.T. system of a major U.S. corporation.

My love / hate relationship with UA continues to widen. Aaron, thanks as always for contributing and being part of the community, but, feel free to toss us a few tid-bits beyond what U.S.A Today might print.. Let's have a dialogue about the real problems (and solutions I've mentioned in at least two other threads relating to UA I.T)
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by DBCme
Of course, change "not enough miles" to "not enough money on their credit card" and you arrive at the same end result: No ticketing. So how is this quote even noteworthy? You wouldn't honor tickets in either situation.
Some people have ticketed and wanted to know if it would be honored, Not me but some people have been asking.

I just want to roll my eyes at some of the comments on facebook stating they didn't manipulate the system. I did attempt to recreate but no matter how tried, it didn't work. It takes a lot more than an accidental refresh to make it work. Sure i game the system but to get mad because they didn't get away with it is beyond me. Here's some quotes

Stephen Liao
Glad you're blaming customers for glitches in YOUR system! We are intentionally manipulating YOUR website? Did I become some sort of overnight hacker? Please. Keep blaming us for your mistakes. Hey, Southwest, I'm coming back!
Like · · 16 minutes ago
4 people like this.

Liz Specht I didn't know hitting "refresh" was hacking. I guess I'm more computer-savvy than I thought.
Like · Reply · 13 minutes ago
Mikey Del Rosario
If you guys don't honor my flight this will be your fate! http://youtu.be/CAP-Xj4Fz18

The Most Intense Taekwondo Fight Ever
www.youtube.com
ALL the smashing posts from internet : http://smashingcorner.com
Like · · Share · 8 minutes ago near Chicago, IL

Last edited by CDKing; Oct 14, 2013 at 5:47 pm
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:38 pm

I don't understand why having more than one window open and/or refreshing would cause a glitch and certainly not such a severe one.

Has this happened before?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Some people have ticketed and wanted to know if it would be honored, Not me but some people have been asking.

I just want to roll my eyes at some of the comments on facebook stating they didn't manipulate the system. I did attempt to recreate but no matter how tried, it didn't work. It takes a lot more than an accidental refresh to make it work. Sure i game the system but to get mad because they didn't get away with it is beyond me. Here's some quotes
Yes, I think most people on both sides can look at each other and say, "C'mon did you really expect:"
UA: ("we would honor the ticket")
Customer: ("I actually thought this would work")

For this perspective this thread should be closed. The I.T issues that surfaced as a result do raise some real concerns. First thing that comes to mind is: Imagine what someone with advanced computer skills might be able to do? (a real or perceived threat)
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by twtrvl
I don't understand why having more than one window open and/or refreshing would cause a glitch and certainly not such a severe one.

Yes -- since the CO days.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:05 pm

UA's website and IT department is a mickey mouse operation...end of story

UA honored the "free" tickets from a few weeks ago so it is not surprising they are not honoring these.

Bottom line...these bugs should have never happened. These are major defects, not just the "my seat won't stick" type of issue. The IT department needs to be cleansed, I don't care whether they are from PMCO or PMUA .
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Some interesting comments in this blog:
United Airlines Site Glitch Results in Nearly Free Flights — Again
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by twtrvl

Will happen again and again unless your properly code temporarily variable and cookies to allow multiple instances not to share the same information. Basic coding 101.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:18 pm

Update -- Looks like the loophole has been closed. The page now throws an error on refresh.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA G
It's threads like these that make me embarrassed to be FTer.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by zrs70
I read the first page of this thread and no more. I hope in the subsequent pages, others have spoken up with my perspective.

I am really disappointed in FT if I understand the thread correctly. This isn't simply a case of a mistake fare. It sounds like lots of futzing with the browser to create a free/taxes only ticket.

Not nice. Not ethical. Not ok.

Please let me know if I am misreading/ misjudging. But it sounds like FT is really lost its soul here.
Quoting myself.

Shameful response by FT on this one.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: *G, oneworld Sapphire
The loophole is definitely not closed, FYI. Just got to the payment screen for an AUS-BOM return (which I won't book, since I'm sure it won't be honored) for 53 USD.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: CO/DL
giving me errors every time.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LeaveYourDailyHell
The loophole is definitely not closed, FYI. Just got to the payment screen for an AUS-BOM return (which I won't book, since I'm sure it won't be honored) for 53 USD.
Yes, it's closed, you won't see the error message til you enter payment for the taxes.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I decided to give a December trip a shot around 9:50 CT, no expectation that it would actually be honored. It worked, took the CC info, has been sitting on the blue 'Please wait' screen for over half an hour since then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.