Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We’ve identified an issue where customers are intentionally manipulating our website to set up award reservations and attempt to ticket with an account that does not have enough miles to complete the ticket. We will not honor these reservations.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We have a quick update related to the manipulation of united.com to book award tickets with insufficient miles that occurred last month. Specifically, we are closing new MileagePlus accounts that were assumed to be set up with the express purpose of attempting to redeem award tickets without the required number of award miles.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

UA: SFO - HI $80 return 23th/31th (Oct)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It seems that on some screens I see "pay by check" withut a cash option. I'm also being given a fare lock of $0 rather than being able to purchase. I think they're changing the site while this is going on.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Well... I didn't get a free ticket, but I got a heckuva deal on a Biz seat DFW-MDE-DFW with stops in SAL on Avianca/Taca. $836.90 RT leaving in Jan. and returning in Feb. Cheap AND no having to deal with CBP at IAH and recheck my bags.

Oddly, there were no biz class offers using miles on UA. Every offer with biz was either partially or fully on a partner. No IAH-BOG segments were offered at saver rates. Very odd. UA biz class was over $1200, so I'm happy.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by zrs70
Please let me know if I am misreading/ misjudging. But it sounds like FT is really lost its soul here.
I don't think anyone expects that any of these will actually ticket. I certainly dn't.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I don't think anyone expects that any of these will actually ticket. I certainly dn't.
Agree. And saved me about $100 by not going out drinking at bars all night tonight. Thanks UA and OP
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:05 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by DBCme
Agree. And saved me about $100 by not going out drinking at bars all night tonight. Thanks UA and OP
+1, lol...
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond,United Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum,Hertz President Circle
just booked a one-way flight ..it didnt ask me for credit card...it booked me an automatic award trip in "Y" class.... their website is a total mess right now
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deadly_scorpion
just booked a one-way flight ..it didnt ask me for credit card...it booked me an automatic award trip in "Y" class.... their website is a total mess right now
Did you book or was it just a zero dollar fare lock. When I got that it turned out to be fare locked and not in the ticketing queue.

I suspect some of what we're seeing is the implementation of the end of the 'Pay with cash' buttn.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by deadly_scorpion
There are likely 2 different outcome if one successfully get a confirmation.
Outcome 1: A ticketed revenue ticket, if you refresh the revenue tab prior to refresh the award tab.
Outcome 2: An award ticket on hold (if not enough miles), if you refresh the award tab prior to refresh the revenue tab.

This is not a deal. Those have seen low mile quote will get hit by the same amount in cash on their credit card. Those who have not enough miles will have their tickets canceled eventually.

Last edited by newballs; Oct 13, 2013 at 2:58 am
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:33 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold) / SPG Gold / Intercontinental Ambassador / AMEX Platinum
Confirmation anyone?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:37 am

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by newballs
Ok. This is not a deal at all. Will just cancel myself. The backend of .bomb is fine. Not a mistake rate.

This reservation is not ticketed. Complete this purchase now.
Your account balance of 5,175 is not sufficient to redeem this award. The mileage purchase option is not available for this ticket. Contact united.com Support at 1-800-396-1751 for additional redemption options.

We will hold this reservation until midnight Mon., Oct. 14, 2013 in San Francisco, CA (SFO).

SFO - HNL: 5J
HNL - PNI: 1F
PNI - GUM: 1F
GUM - NRT: 1J
NRT - PVG: ---
PVG - NRT: ---
NRT - SJC: ---

1 Award 300,000 miles
Ticket Taxes/Fees $78.10
Total Price 300,000 Miles and $78.10
Was this the text of an email you got or a message that was displayed on the site ?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kaushik123
Was this the text of an email you got or a message that was displayed on the site ?
Message on the website, in "Manage my reservation"->"View reservation"
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:41 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

This thread is really starting to irritate me.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 6:00 am

still working - why havn't they stopped it?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 6:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by george021q
still working - why havn't they stopped it?
It looks like a problem with session management on .bomb. Deploying a fix that is a) that deep and b) to such an active website (ie MUCH testing is required) will probably take weeks at maximum priority.

My guess is they will just manually block them. It seems the tickets don't auto ticket - so some safeguard is working correctly.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 7:59 am

It looks like a problem with session management on .bomb. Deploying a fix that is a) that deep and b) to such an active website (ie MUCH testing is required) will probably take weeks at maximum priority.

My guess is they will just manually block them. It seems the tickets don't auto ticket - so some safeguard is working correctly.
Did Anyone get an actual final confirmation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.