Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by tlawrence85
'Direct' flights are not the same as non-stop flights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight

"A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop over at an intermediate point."
Non-Stop -- A flight between two airports with no stops / no other airport involved.

Direct flight -- a flight booked as a flight between two airports BUT will involve a scheduled connection (landing/departure) at another airport. The same plane may or may not be used for each segment of the flight. {On UA, generally does not involve the same aircraft and may use a different type of airplane}

Why done
  • So that the direct flight shows as a competitive option vs non-stops in third party online booking sites.
  • Conservation of flight numbers, due to shortage of 4-digit flight numbers, this allows for more flights without using more flight numbers

For UA, mileage credit is the same for a non-stop and a direct flight. You "lose" out of the extra flight miles.
With the change from credit being based on fare and not flight miles, there is no difference in earning method from direct flight vs non-stop
On PQFs, each segment counts as 1 PQF -- this is a change from how PQS was done
Possible resolution is to see if the direct flight can be split into the separate flight segments -- some times this is possible, other times it is not.

There can be seat assignment issues on direct flights especially if aircraft type is different.
Upgrades will not clear on direct flights in advance unless upgrade space is available on both flights. Gate upgrades will process based on the individual flights.

Related thread
Direct Flight Seat Selection Bug?

Selecting Seats/Upgrade Issues on Second Leg of "Direct" Flight Itinerary

Solution for seat assignment missing on direct flight

Upgrade Individual Flights on direct flight
Print Wikipost

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It sounds like you're under the mistaken impression that the same flight number means the same plane. "Direct" flights nearly always include a plane change (at least on United - I can't comment on other airlines). Caveat emptor.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Can the 2nd segment of a direct flight depart before a delayed arrival of the first segment? That entails 2 planes with the same airline/number in the air at the same time.

I've never seen that happen, but I have missed connections on direct flights. The second closed the door before the first segment landed.

It seems fraudulent to allow a missed connection on a "direct" flight. If I'm on the flight, I'm on the flight. It is bizarre that a passenger can be on the same flight landing and watch the same flight takeoff, etc.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by johnden
Can the 2nd segment of a direct flight depart before a delayed arrival of the first segment? That entails 2 planes with the same airline/number in the air at the same time.

I've never seen that happen, but I have missed connections on direct flights. The second closed the door before the first segment landed.

It seems fraudulent to allow a missed connection on a "direct" flight. If I'm on the flight, I'm on the flight. It is bizarre that a passenger can be on the same flight landing and watch the same flight takeoff, etc.
I think you just said it more succinctly than I did. This is exactly what I'm talking about, only in my case the 2nd flight was delayed. Plus it seemed obvious to me that the LGA-SFO-SEA flight should've/could've been marketed correctly and honestly as a 1 stop flight.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Can the 2nd segment of a direct flight depart before a delayed arrival of the first segment?
Yes.

That entails 2 planes with the same airline/number in the air at the same time.
When that happens, they add a letter as a suffix. Thus, you will have, for example, United 42 and United 42 Tango (I seem to recall them using the T suffix back from the Channel 9 days).
Old May 3, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others

We on FlyerTalk should know that Direct and nonstop are not the same. Direct means only that the flight carries the same flight number and nothing more. That many people misunderstand that is unfortunate.

Nonstop is clear and unambiguous. if an airline sells a nonstop, then delivers stops, you might have grounds to use such words.
Old May 3, 2015, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It sounds like you're under the mistaken impression that the same flight number means the same plane. "Direct" flights nearly always include a plane change (at least on United - I can't comment on other airlines). Caveat emptor.
Don't think this is a UA specific thing, but a thing they only do in the U.S. Every other place I know of, a direct flight is a stop on the same plane. For example, AC does YYZ-YVR-SYD, same flight number, same aircraft (save for irrops or something - but it's always scheduled that way).

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Direct means only that the flight carries the same flight number and nothing more. That many people misunderstand that is unfortunate.
Direct is more a marketing thing. For example, if UA sells a "direct" flight with the same flight number, even with an aircraft change, on BOS-SFO-SYD, as an example, that will generally show up on the GDS and online travel sites higher than another connection which is BOS-YYY and YYY-SYD, even with the same connection time and travel time.
Old May 4, 2015, 4:20 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The sad truth is that there is no regulation on the term "direct" United should really be calling these "continuing" flights and not direct.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
When the carrier operates a "direct" flight as 2 separate flights, with separate gates, crews, airframes, flight plans, etc, there is no benefit to the airline to have a "direct" flight.

The only benefit is to deceive customers into believing it is a non-stop flight.

In general I do not think it is ethical for a business to create a transaction where the only purpose is to deceive their customers. Seems like the practice should stop in 90% of cases. Either a lot of people are tricked (and makes this a profitable business decision) or the airline is just indifferent to their customers. Either way this kind of practice is frowned upon in almost every industry.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by diburning
The sad truth is that there is no regulation on the term "direct" United should really be calling these "continuing" flights and not direct.
That is really not true. Direct flight are defined as carrying the same flight number from origin to destination. the definition originated with rail travel when virtually all trains had stops and/or equipment changes along the way, but 'direct' meant that a passenger would ahem the same ticket and no train transfer process, even though they might move from one train to another.

For some reason in recent years people have become confused and begun to think 'direct' means 'nonstop'. It never has meant that, and maybe never will.

Continuing and connecting have been used synonymously, but continuing has never, AFAIK, had a formal definition, so announcements will often refer to direct flights as "..with continuing service to xyz".
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:33 pm

What is going on here

how is the outbound leg less miles than the return leg and would i change planes in SFO before or after arriving at LAX?

Last edited by EWRMAN; Jul 29, 2015 at 4:44 pm
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Since your outbound PHL-SFO-LAX flights have the same flight number it is considered a direct flight, and miles are calculated as though it was PHL-LAX non-stop.

Yes; you will likely have to change planes in SFO and LAX.

SunLover
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by SunLover
Since your outbound PHL-SFO-LAX flights have the same flight number it is considered a direct flight, and miles are calculated as though it was PHL-LAX non-stop.

Yes; you will have to change planes in SFO.

SunLover
thanks very much. Going to delete image now. as far too big.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AC 25K
How are flights with stopovers calculated

I am scheduled to fly UA1773 : SEA-IAH-EWR, united.com states it to be a direct flight with a stopover. Does that mean I only get 1 segment, and miles from SEA-EWR?

I am accumulating them to AC's frequent flyer program, not sure if that changes anything.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jlionw
I am scheduled to fly UA1773 : SEA-IAH-EWR, united.com states it to be a direct flight with a stopover. Does that mean I only get 1 segment, and miles from SEA-EWR?

I am accumulating them to AC's frequent flyer program, not sure if that changes anything.
Yes to your first query, and no to your second question.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by transportprof
Yes to your first query, and no to your second question.
Does the "no" still mean you must call in after the flight? I was just told that on UA 804 SIN-NRT-IAD - they said 1 PQS and PQM that would be for non-stop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.