Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by tlawrence85
'Direct' flights are not the same as non-stop flights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight

"A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop over at an intermediate point."
Non-Stop -- A flight between two airports with no stops / no other airport involved.

Direct flight -- a flight booked as a flight between two airports BUT will involve a scheduled connection (landing/departure) at another airport. The same plane may or may not be used for each segment of the flight. {On UA, generally does not involve the same aircraft and may use a different type of airplane}

Why done
  • So that the direct flight shows as a competitive option vs non-stops in third party online booking sites.
  • Conservation of flight numbers, due to shortage of 4-digit flight numbers, this allows for more flights without using more flight numbers

For UA, mileage credit is the same for a non-stop and a direct flight. You "lose" out of the extra flight miles.
With the change from credit being based on fare and not flight miles, there is no difference in earning method from direct flight vs non-stop
On PQFs, each segment counts as 1 PQF -- this is a change from how PQS was done
Possible resolution is to see if the direct flight can be split into the separate flight segments -- some times this is possible, other times it is not.

There can be seat assignment issues on direct flights especially if aircraft type is different.
Upgrades will not clear on direct flights in advance unless upgrade space is available on both flights. Gate upgrades will process based on the individual flights.

Related thread
Direct Flight Seat Selection Bug?

Selecting Seats/Upgrade Issues on Second Leg of "Direct" Flight Itinerary

Solution for seat assignment missing on direct flight

Upgrade Individual Flights on direct flight
Print Wikipost

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The shortage in the case of UA stems from the way numbers are assigned for different purposes. I've put this list together from a couple of sources. I'd imagine it is close to accurate, but likely nt 100% accurate.

0001-1299 UA Mainline
1300-1399 Test Flights
1400-2049 UA Mainline
1800-1899 Sports charters
2200-2299 Sports charters
2380-2429 UA Mainline
3400-6399 UA Express (divided in ranges among ~10 different carriers)
8100-8299 Radio Flight Numbers (used to avoid similar numbers in the same airspace)
8300-9770 Codeshare
9785-9814 Passenger Extra Section
9815-9824 Cargo Extra Section
9842-9866 Military Contract - Passenger
9867-9872 Military Contract - Cargo
9873-9877 Civil Air Movement - Passenger
9878-9882 Civil Air Movement - Cargo
9883-9907 Passenger Charters
9780-9782 Unpaid Publicity Flights
9783-9784 Unpaid Courtesy Flights
9825-9834 Test Flights
9835-9836 Familiarization/Demonstration
9908-9923 Maintenance Ferry
9924-9927 Maintenance Ferry
9928-9967 Operational Positioning Flight
9968-9987 Paid Charter Positioning Flight
9993-9996 Scheduled Positioning
9997-9999 Scheduled Freighter in Passenger Equipment
I'm holding UA 2122, mainline DEN-SJC, in July. 😊

Seriously, while I appreciate the convenience of segregating number bands to eadily identify partners or assorted odd functions, there is obviously great wastage within some of the bands. Does TransStates really operate 999 UA daily departures, etc.? If they really needed more 4 digit flight numbers, they could make it work without rewriting the entire res system.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
Right -- but the point is, even if they had marketed the flight without a change of gauge as the direct, they still could have (and likely would have) used different aircraft for the two segments. A passenger still has to deplane and can still miss the "connecting flight," even though an inexperienced traveler would have no idea this was possible. In other words, I agree with your last point, but I think that the solution is to make neither of them direct....
Such direct flights are in fact more dangerous than normal connecting flights because the connections are, in my experience, relatively shorter. This is indeed a double whammy for the inexperienced flier.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Starman
I'm holding UA 2122, mainline DEN-SJC, in July. ��

Seriously, while I appreciate the convenience of segregating number bands to eadily identify partners or assorted odd functions, there is obviously great wastage within some of the bands. Does TransStates really operate 999 UA daily departures, etc.? If they really needed more 4 digit flight numbers, they could make it work without rewriting the entire res system.
TransStates does nt have 999 allocated to it. There is clearly more to this than just assigning numbers. There are enough pieces of United and United partners that need sets of numbers that bands make sense. Flight numbers stay in reservation systems for many months. Imagine the chaos if a Trans States flight a United flight and an ExpressJet flight all used the same flight number over a period of time. Bands of flight numbers allow everyone to quickly know the operator/purpose of flights. Having extras to pad each list with avoids having to reassign the ranges, which would add extra confusion. United Express carriers had the following assignments as of the middle of 2016:

• CommutAir 2670-2724
  • Cape Air 2800-2874
  • Trans States 2900-2919
  • Cape Air 2920-2939
  • Republic Airlines 3300-3574
  • Shuttle America 3575-3699
  • ExpressJet 3700-4499
  • Trans States 4500-4749
  • Go Jet 4750-4899
  • CommutAir 4900-4999
  • Skywest 5000-6060
  • Mesa Air 6061-6384
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
I tried to search to see if I could find the answer, but the most recent thread was from 2013...

How do PQMs post (in practice) for same flight numbered change of plane flights? It's ORD-EWR-PHX, so a pretty significant difference.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:02 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by murphyUA

How do PQMs post (in practice) for same flight numbered change of plane flights? It's ORD-EWR-PHX, so a pretty significant difference.
Unless you can get UA to split the segments, it's the lower number. There is a more recent thread than 2013, but probably has different wording in title. Try Google advanced search, that normally works better than FT search.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... How do PQMs post (in practice) for same flight numbered change of plane flights? It's ORD-EWR-PHX, so a pretty significant difference.
Depends on how booked. If book as a direct flight with a stop/change of planes, it posts based on the direct, no-stop mileage. If booked as two separate segments, then you get individual segment credit. Recent (2015,16 & 17) examples upthread.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried to search to see if I could find the answer, but the most recent thread was from 2013...

This got answered in the original "Simple Question" thread, but, to expand on the answer there: You'll get the nonstop distance from origin to destination: ORD-PHX. As you can see, this can be a pretty painful side-effect.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:34 am

Question UA726 - 1 flight with 2 planes?

I just booked an itinerary YYJ-YYC-SFO-EWR to maximize my mileage earning with a distance based *A programm. (And it was very cheap *g*)

Now I see that YYC-EWR seems to be a single (!) segment, UA 726, although there is both a terminal change and a plane change in SFO (YYC-SFO is a 737, SFO-EWR is a 777).

Says the bomb:
  • Depart YYC: $Date
  • Arrive EWR: $Date +1
  • Long layover
  • Terminal change
  • Red-eye flight
  • 1 stop (plane change)Stop in San Francisco, CA, US (SFO)3h ground time
I am very surprised to see such thing. This means I will only earn the miles for YYC-EWR, and not for YYC-SFO + SFO-EWR, correct?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Yes only for the direct.

Call in to split the segments ngefore the 24 hour cancellation timeframe.

if no go, cancel and use Google flights to piece together.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:36 am

TNX. I've tried splitting it up, but that doubles the cost.

(Besides I wonder what the point is of having a single flight number for this, with a 3 hour layover and a plane change. This is not your usual stopover on a direct flight.)
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sokolov
TNX. I've tried splitting it up, but that doubles the cost.

(Besides I wonder what the point is of having a single flight number for this, with a 3 hour layover and a plane change. This is not your usual stopover on a direct flight.)
not uncommon on US carriers for this to happen. Internationally, even on AC, and almost all other carriers, ‘direct’ flights with a stop use the same aircraft and are intended for passengers to continue on journey from one end to the other. Example: SQ 1 is SFO-HKG-SIN AC does this on flights like YYZ-YVR-SYD.

Us carriers do it to market a ‘flight’ between two destinations that they don’t actually serve nonstop. In the GDS which agents (and OTAs) use, these ‘direcf’ Flights with a stop will show ahead of other one-stop routings (regular connections), meaning a better chance any customer will book them, even though there’s usually no real benefit. In fact, SFO-EWR will likely not delay if YYC-SFO is late enough for pax to misconnect.

US carriers have also said they do this because of lack of flight numbers, but IMO, that’s a bit of bull.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sokolov
Saves flight numbers. Between the size of the modern carriers and all the partners they codeshare with, the US majors are pretty tight on 4 digit flight numbers.

And some dumb legacy systems may show these direct flights preferentially to connections with two flight numbers.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
........In fact, SFO-EWR will likely not delay if YYC-SFO is late enough for pax to misconnect......
It is a scam by major airlines. It doesn't serve any purpose other than to fool novice flyers into booking direct flights only to end up flying on connecting flights. It wasn't on UA but I once "missed" my flight due to late inbound into SEA. My flight from SEA, with same flight number, has left when I landed and I had to overnight in SEA.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
It is a scam by major airlines. It doesn't serve any purpose other than to fool novice flyers into booking direct flights only to end up flying on connecting flights. It wasn't on UA but I once "missed" my flight due to late inbound into SEA. My flight from SEA, with same flight number, has left when I landed and I had to overnight in SEA.
"Scam" is a harsh word. While I understand the thought, YYC-SFO-EWR isn't a routing that UA is likely trying to sell to anyone. UA used to offer AUS-SFO-LAS flights with a three-hour stop at SFO. I doubt many people booked them thinking it was a nonstop, as the total flight time was about 7 hours. While "lack of flight numbers" may sound ridiculous, keep in mind that there are large ranges of flight numbers reserved for codeshare flights, that each United Express operator has its own dedicated range of flight numbers, and that some flight numbers are retired or reserved for future use. YYC-ORD-EWR, with a 50 minute connection? I could see calling that a "scam." A 3 hour connection in a city that's over a thousand miles out of the way? OP didn't choose this flight by accident, thinking it was quicker.

OP: The flights will credit according to the rules of your program. UA has little to do with it. If you were crediting to MileagePlus, it would be counted as the nonstop YYC-EWR distance, but another program may do it differently.

Alternatively, if you are flying on a UA-issued ticket, consider attempting to do a same-day confirmed change once you arrive at SFO. For one thing, you may be able to avoid spending three hours in SFO. For another thing, there have been reports that an old CO policy means that the SDC fee would be waived when you make the request at a connecting airport. (Even if it isn't, it might be worth $75 to you). Note that you won't be able to SDC via the app if you checked luggage, but an agent can do it for you, provided that there's at least one hour until your desired departure.

Good luck!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
"Scam" is a harsh word. While I understand the thought, YYC-SFO-EWR isn't a routing that UA is likely trying to sell to anyone. UA used to offer AUS-SFO-LAS flights with a three-hour stop at SFO. I doubt many people booked them thinking it was a nonstop, as the total flight time was about 7 hours. While "lack of flight numbers" may sound ridiculous, keep in mind that there are large ranges of flight numbers reserved for codeshare flights, that each United Express operator has its own dedicated range of flight numbers, and that some flight numbers are retired or reserved for future use. YYC-ORD-EWR, with a 50 minute connection? I could see calling that a "scam." A 3 hour connection in a city that's over a thousand miles out of the way? OP didn't choose this flight by accident, thinking it was quicker.

OP: The flights will credit according to the rules of your program. UA has little to do with it. If you were crediting to MileagePlus, it would be counted as the nonstop YYC-EWR distance, but another program may do it differently.

Alternatively, if you are flying on a UA-issued ticket, consider attempting to do a same-day confirmed change once you arrive at SFO. For one thing, you may be able to avoid spending three hours in SFO. For another thing, there have been reports that an old CO policy means that the SDC fee would be waived when you make the request at a connecting airport. (Even if it isn't, it might be worth $75 to you). Note that you won't be able to SDC via the app if you checked luggage, but an agent can do it for you, provided that there's at least one hour until your desired departure.

Good luck!
i agree scam is harsh. And to be clear - it doesn’t just fool flyers who aren’t looking well, I’d bet there are some (not as good) TAs who would also miss it - especially foreign ones selling these kinds of itineraries that they aren’t usually.

I dont believe SDC at SFO would work if it’s ticketed as a through flight with a stop (as opposed to ‘split’ as suggested upthread). It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these on UA, but believe at least they used to be done on one coupon, so SDC’ing at the stop wouldn’t work. Now you could probably find an agent to do it, but I’d guess it’s a bit of work and not all are willing to do it, and could very well require ‘HUCA’ so to speak to get it done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.