Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by tlawrence85
'Direct' flights are not the same as non-stop flights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight

"A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop over at an intermediate point."
Non-Stop -- A flight between two airports with no stops / no other airport involved.

Direct flight -- a flight booked as a flight between two airports BUT will involve a scheduled connection (landing/departure) at another airport. The same plane may or may not be used for each segment of the flight. {On UA, generally does not involve the same aircraft and may use a different type of airplane}

Why done
  • So that the direct flight shows as a competitive option vs non-stops in third party online booking sites.
  • Conservation of flight numbers, due to shortage of 4-digit flight numbers, this allows for more flights without using more flight numbers

For UA, mileage credit is the same for a non-stop and a direct flight. You "lose" out of the extra flight miles.
With the change from credit being based on fare and not flight miles, there is no difference in earning method from direct flight vs non-stop
On PQFs, each segment counts as 1 PQF -- this is a change from how PQS was done
Possible resolution is to see if the direct flight can be split into the separate flight segments -- some times this is possible, other times it is not.

There can be seat assignment issues on direct flights especially if aircraft type is different.
Upgrades will not clear on direct flights in advance unless upgrade space is available on both flights. Gate upgrades will process based on the individual flights.

Related thread
Direct Flight Seat Selection Bug?

Selecting Seats/Upgrade Issues on Second Leg of "Direct" Flight Itinerary

Solution for seat assignment missing on direct flight

Upgrade Individual Flights on direct flight
Print Wikipost

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
What's the delta? About 800 miles or 8 bucks?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Been this way for YEARS. Even pre merger UA had it like this.
IIRC, this is not correct - PMUA did the full mileage between each of the points, even on the same flight number. Unless that changed close to the merger, but at least was the way for most of the time. I am pretty sure that this was one of the policy differences between Pre-merger CO and UA, and that particular one happened to go to the way CO did it. Given the computer systems crediting mileage are the CO ones, could easily be a decision based on it was the one which requires no action.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
What's the delta? About 800 miles or 8 bucks?
If you're pricing only RDM. For EQM for status, a 800 mile difference or two can lead to a few hundred dollars on a mileage run.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
IIRC, this is not correct - PMUA did the full mileage between each of the points, even on the same flight number. Unless that changed close to the merger, but at least was the way for most of the time. I am pretty sure that this was one of the policy differences between Pre-merger CO and UA, and that particular one happened to go to the way CO did it. Given the computer systems crediting mileage are the CO ones, could easily be a decision based on it was the one which requires no action.
No, it is true. I got bit a couple times in the early 2000's flying to SIN from SFO via NRT. Once I learned to book the legs separately they credited individually. The 2 times I just booked SFO-SIN I only got the SFO-SIN as if it were non-stop.

See thread from Old UA forum about just this subject.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-merged.html

Last edited by Baze; Nov 8, 2014 at 8:33 pm Reason: Added link from old UA forum about this
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
IIRC, this is not correct - PMUA did the full mileage between each of the points, even on the same flight number. ....
For years pmUA used the direct mileage approach but a few years prior to the merger when to the segment method (^). However post merger, we are back the direct approach (common to many other airlines also).

Segment method used 2010-2012 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l-mileage.html
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Nat'l Exec
DSM-MIA direct... Huh?

This summer (June-Aug) I see UA is doing a daily direct DSM-MIA... I can't find any info online about this new routing. What's going on? Is UA making MIA a focus city or something?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: 1K
It is not a direct flight. Both segments have the same flight number.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hookthem
It is not a direct flight. Both segments have the same flight number.
Which, indeed is the definition of a direct flight.

But it is not a non-stop flight. :-:
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Nat'l Exec
I feel so stupid.

I've never booked a UA "direct"... Do you get off the plane?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 24, 2015 at 6:43 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CObigtimefan
Yes, you get off the plane, it's not like WN.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:15 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CObigtimefan
Usually. I can only think of three times in the past decade or so I didn't have to: two United Express "direct" flights with stops at SHD and BLF, and one LAX-(ORD)-DCA flight where we used the same plane, same gate, etc., and they let pax who were going onward stay onboard if they wanted.

"Direct" flights often involve a change in gauge/plane, and even when on the same type of plane, a change of gate. And you can of course misconnect when your same-flight-numbered flight gets in later than the connection when it's operated by a different plane as is often the case...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
And i highly recommend avoiding them. You only get mileage from AAA-CCC instead of AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC. Soon to be irrelevant for RDMs but a factor on PQMs.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by JC5280
And i highly recommend avoiding them. You only get mileage from AAA-CCC instead of AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC. Soon to be irrelevant for RDMs but a factor on PQMs.
Not only that, but I find a lot of these "direct" flights have connections that are way too tight for comfort (often close to MCT at ORD). The fact that it's "direct" doesn't mean anything in IrrOps either…they're not holding the next plane if the first one is late.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by JC5280
Book as multicity routing. I recently did this and price was the same, got credit for 2 segments instead of 1 (segment flyer) and, best of all, cleared upgrade on both segments. Before I tried the muticity booking my "direct" 2 flight upgrades never cleared.

Of note, these "direct" flights often involve change of aircraft and crew.

Thanks to FT for teaching me this work-around.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by dorisrpas
Book as multicity routing. I recently did this and price was the same, got credit for 2 segments instead of 1 (segment flyer) and, best of all, cleared upgrade on both segments. Before I tried the muticity booking my "direct" 2 flight upgrades never cleared.

Of note, these "direct" flights often involve change of aircraft and crew.

Thanks to FT for teaching me this work-around.
+1. And if you can't book as two separate flights call and have the reservation line split them up after you book. Helps with upgrade priority too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.