Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by tlawrence85
'Direct' flights are not the same as non-stop flights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight

"A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop over at an intermediate point."
Non-Stop -- A flight between two airports with no stops / no other airport involved.

Direct flight -- a flight booked as a flight between two airports BUT will involve a scheduled connection (landing/departure) at another airport. The same plane may or may not be used for each segment of the flight. {On UA, generally does not involve the same aircraft and may use a different type of airplane}

Why done
  • So that the direct flight shows as a competitive option vs non-stops in third party online booking sites.
  • Conservation of flight numbers, due to shortage of 4-digit flight numbers, this allows for more flights without using more flight numbers

For UA, mileage credit is the same for a non-stop and a direct flight. You "lose" out of the extra flight miles.
With the change from credit being based on fare and not flight miles, there is no difference in earning method from direct flight vs non-stop
On PQFs, each segment counts as 1 PQF -- this is a change from how PQS was done
Possible resolution is to see if the direct flight can be split into the separate flight segments -- some times this is possible, other times it is not.

There can be seat assignment issues on direct flights especially if aircraft type is different.
Upgrades will not clear on direct flights in advance unless upgrade space is available on both flights. Gate upgrades will process based on the individual flights.

Related thread
Direct Flight Seat Selection Bug?

Selecting Seats/Upgrade Issues on Second Leg of "Direct" Flight Itinerary

Solution for seat assignment missing on direct flight

Upgrade Individual Flights on direct flight
Print Wikipost

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 787fan
i think if you book the exact same flights it as "multi city" search instead of "JFK-LAS", the reservation comes out with segments already split up .... someone correct me
I've done it that way on ORD-HKG-SIN (IIRC). I used a GPU to upgrade the ORD-HKG (using UA.com) but it wanted another GPU to upgrade the HKG-SIN leg. I called and got that segment waitlisted (on the same GPU). So, there may be problems either way. Note, this was several years ago, the first year of GPUs (at least for us former CO folks) so YMMV
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by manneca
I've done it that way on ORD-HKG-SIN (IIRC). I used a GPU to upgrade the ORD-HKG (using UA.com) but it wanted another GPU to upgrade the HKG-SIN leg. I called and got that segment waitlisted (on the same GPU). So, there may be problems either way. Note, this was several years ago, the first year of GPUs (at least for us former CO folks) so YMMV
Recently had a similar issue flying SIN-HKG-ORD on the same flight number (UA896). Was booked on the direct flight (SIN-ORD) and R space opened up only on the HKG-ORD segment. It took 3 agents, the first two said it wasn't possible but the last agent was able to split the segments and manually clear the upgrade on HKG-ORD. It did take her about 45 minutes to complete. Initially she said there would be additional tax, but nothing was charged. As with most everything UA, when all else fails HUACA.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Mileage credit for Direct flights

What's MP policy on flights that make a stop but retain flight number? Do they credit it as if it were a non-stop or do they give credit for the sum if the 2 flights? Can make a huge difference in mileage.
I fear former and believe that's what AA does.
How about for upgrades? Do they do them for the flights separately? Gets confusing esp when there's an equipment and aircraft type change
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anandrag
What's MP policy on flights that make a stop but retain flight number? Do they credit it as if it were a non-stop or do they give credit for the sum if the 2 flights? Can make a huge difference in mileage.
I fear former and believe that's what AA does.
How about for upgrades? Do they do them for the flights separately? Gets confusing esp when there's an equipment and aircraft type change
If it is AAA-CCC that has a stop in BBB (even if plane change) then just get for AAA-CCC.
If it is AAA-BBB-CCC and just happens to have the same flight number you get mileage for both legs.

If is AAA-CCC you can call to have them split it so it is AA-BBB-CCC.

Clear as mud?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
If it is AAA-CCC that has a stop in BBB (even if plane change) then just get for AAA-CCC.
If it is AAA-BBB-CCC and just happens to have the same flight number you get mileage for both legs.

If is AAA-CCC you can call to have them split it so it is AA-BBB-CCC.

Clear as mud?
How do I know whether intention was to have it be AAA-CCC or AAA-BBB-CCC? My case is a IAH-DEN-ANC. They also have it frequently for NYC-ORD-SFO
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do I know whether intention was to have it be AAA-CCC or AAA-BBB-CCC? My case is a IAH-DEN-ANC. They also have it frequently for NYC-ORD-SFO
Been a while since I was on one of these, but if AAA-CCC with a stop was only given 1 boarding pass or the second boarding pass stated was a continuing passenger.

Also on the PNR (reservation) it just listed AAA-CCC. if it is AAA-BBB-CCC you will see separate flights on the PNR for each leg and they just happen to have the same flight number.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
Been a while since I was on one of these, but if AAA-CCC with a stop was only given 1 boarding pass or the second boarding pass stated was a continuing passenger.

Also on the PNR (reservation) it just listed AAA-CCC. if it is AAA-BBB-CCC you will see separate flights on the PNR for each leg and they just happen to have the same flight number.
It's listed separately as 2 different flights. Do I need to call UA for proper credit? Now or after flights? How about CPUs?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's listed separately as 2 different flights. Do I need to call UA for proper credit? Now or after flights? How about CPUs?
If it is listed as 2 separate flights then you should be good to go. They will post as 2 separate flights and CPU's will be based on 2 separate flights. They just happen to have the same flight number.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:55 pm

This happened to me last week on UA759, which is ORD - SEA, with a stop at SFO. I didn't realize it was a direct flight with 1 stop (shows up that way in my receipt) so I was surprised to see my account credited with 1720 miles, as opposed to roughly 2518 miles (so around 800 miles difference).

Had I read this thread earlier I'd have known to split the itinerary before travel - but now that it is after the fact, is there anything I can do at this point? Any advice?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: UA MM
Which miles will be accredited?

I am returning SIN-ORD-EWR-TPA for which UA lists 11,033 miles.
I have a HKG layover between SIN & ORD which would make the real miles total 11,107.
SIN-ORD is one flight number with a stop at HKG.
My memory is shaky - I think UA in the past has credited me with the extra miles involved in a non-direct flight.
I know it is only 74 miles difference - but out of curiosity - is United going to credit me with 11,033 or 11,107?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tmelanio
I am returning SIN-ORD-EWR-TPA for which UA lists 11,033 miles.
I have a HKG layover between SIN & ORD which would make the real miles total 11,107.
SIN-ORD is one flight number with a stop at HKG.
My memory is shaky - I think UA in the past has credited me with the extra miles involved in a non-direct flight.
I know it is only 74 miles difference - but out of curiosity - is United going to credit me with 11,033 or 11,107?
11,033. It will consider it as one flight.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
11,033. It will consider it as one flight.
While generally true, believe the larger amount can be earned depending on how it was booked.

If booked as a standard OW (or RT) SIN-TPA then yes, would be considered the direct flight mileage. But if the segments were separated somehow - either manually or through booking a multi-city specifying SIN-HKG and HKG-ORD separately (for example, selecting multi-city and inputting three destinations as SIN-HKG, HKG-ORD and ORD-TPA), should get the higher mileage amount of the separate nonstop mileage.

OP - if you really want the nonstop mileage, can call and ask an agent to separate these two segments. May have to HUCA (based on past reports) as some agents may not do this. Also, will likely be charged a bit extra in taxes as they are often calculated differently once separated. Also, If looking to upgrade, this can also change those odds as R space on the direct is often different than separately on the two point-to-point segments.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:42 pm

Thumbs down United Miles Flown Ripoff

Tried to search on here for an answer to this question - no luck.

I am a 1K. On Friday flew from PBI to DEN via EWR. I always thought they would credit you the miles from PBI to EWR and then EWR to DEN, but in fact, because it is the same flight number it is considered one segment and they only credit you PBI-DEN. I called 1-800-UNITED1 and confirmed this is indeed the case.

If I had booked separate flight numbers, I would have gotten full mileage credit.

Relatively happy customer for lots of years, but I think this policy is absolutely ridiculous.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rcwhitejr2
Tried to search on here for an answer to this question - no luck.

I am a 1K. On Friday flew from PBI to DEN via EWR. I always thought they would credit you the miles from PBI to EWR and then EWR to DEN, but in fact, because it is the same flight number it is considered one segment and they only credit you PBI-DEN. I called 1-800-UNITED1 and confirmed this is indeed the case.

If I had booked separate flight numbers, I would have gotten full mileage credit.

Relatively happy customer for lots of years, but I think this policy is absolutely ridiculous.
Been this way for YEARS. Even pre merger UA had it like this. Don't necessarily need separate flight numbers but just separate segments. f your itinerary says PBI-DEN with a stop in EWR and all same flight number get only PBI-DEN. But if says PBI-EWR-DEN even if has same flight numbers get credit for all legs. Sorry you had to find out the hard way.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:48 pm

Eh, no easy way. Living out west you don't run into it so much. Still seems like a ludicrous policy. Thanks for the answer and listening to the vent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.