Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by tlawrence85
'Direct' flights are not the same as non-stop flights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_flight

"A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop over at an intermediate point."
Non-Stop -- A flight between two airports with no stops / no other airport involved.

Direct flight -- a flight booked as a flight between two airports BUT will involve a scheduled connection (landing/departure) at another airport. The same plane may or may not be used for each segment of the flight. {On UA, generally does not involve the same aircraft and may use a different type of airplane}

Why done
  • So that the direct flight shows as a competitive option vs non-stops in third party online booking sites.
  • Conservation of flight numbers, due to shortage of 4-digit flight numbers, this allows for more flights without using more flight numbers

For UA, mileage credit is the same for a non-stop and a direct flight. You "lose" out of the extra flight miles.
With the change from credit being based on fare and not flight miles, there is no difference in earning method from direct flight vs non-stop
On PQFs, each segment counts as 1 PQF -- this is a change from how PQS was done
Possible resolution is to see if the direct flight can be split into the separate flight segments -- some times this is possible, other times it is not.

There can be seat assignment issues on direct flights especially if aircraft type is different.
Upgrades will not clear on direct flights in advance unless upgrade space is available on both flights. Gate upgrades will process based on the individual flights.

Related thread
Direct Flight Seat Selection Bug?

Selecting Seats/Upgrade Issues on Second Leg of "Direct" Flight Itinerary

Solution for seat assignment missing on direct flight

Upgrade Individual Flights on direct flight
Print Wikipost

Direct flights -- Why? What about Mileage Credit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
On a recent flight, last week (MR) ANC-(SEA)-IAH, my flight was split with same flight number just after T-24 (after I have checked-in). It stayed that way until I completed the journey. I just checked the miles posted, and it was posted as 2 flights (with same flight #).

May be UA IS improving for the better of FTers!!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Multi-segment but

May be covered in another post.

Just a heads up that having flown UA895 from ORD-HKG-SIN which is listed as all one flight, the MP account only shows 1 segment credit toward the 4 minimum.

Given that each flight is a segment and has it's own seperate ticket, I think UA is setting up for a challenge on this if someone we to miss out on status resulting from it.

I'm not effected but UA895 is clearly not a non-stop from ORD-SIN.....

MOD: Please fix title. Should allow people to edit titles!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
This has been happening for many years on virtually all airlines that operate single flight numbers on multiple legs.

In the case of UA, this could have been resolved before the flight by calling and having the reservation split into two segments. Not so easy to resolve afterwards, but it's worth a try.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by star_world
This has been happening for many years on virtually all airlines that operate single flight numbers on multiple legs.

In the case of UA, this could have been resolved before the flight by calling and having the reservation split into two segments. Not so easy to resolve afterwards, but it's worth a try.
I understand this, but given that UA has a four segment rule and doesn't offer non-stop despite having the same flight number it seems dubious that one would have to tweak a reservation to get true segment credit.

I'm not effected by this issue but someone doing RT to SIN-ORD as only UA metal for year but all other flights on *A could get hosed (as an example).
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wethereyet
I understand this, but given that UA has a four segment rule and doesn't offer non-stop despite having the same flight number it seems dubious that one would have to tweak a reservation to get true segment credit.

I'm not effected by this issue but someone doing RT to SIN-ORD as only UA metal for year but all other flights on *A could get hosed (as an example).
What do you mean "dubious"? I told you in the above post how one would obtain the correct per-segment credit for this flight. Unless the segments are separated it will always post as though it were a single flight from the origin to destination.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:41 am

What's the official name for this

Yesterday purchased some TCON travel on UA; 1 n/s & 2 connecting (conducive to schedule) . something came up on both connects but different airports that I had never seen before.

Exemplary : DCA - IAH - X. There was a change of planes in IAH, same flight number & exact same number of miles if I had flown through ORD, which was my intended routing nevertheless.

I immediately thought of the Delta suit, which I know nothing about other than I heard the gravaman of the suit is that one should get actual flight miles including holding pattern or something ridiculous that I immediately jettisoned as frivolous once I heard it. Then I saw this & I thought that that is patently unfair.

Then on another booking through SFO where I need to go, saw the same thing (change of planes but same FL # & no credit for actual flight miles flown. Is there an official FT name for this?

Sorry about voice to text mistakes.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: AADULtArer
There are several threads on this issue..getting segment or 2x500 mile (elite) miles on direct flights with stops. I don't think there is a name beyond that.

IIRC people have successfully gotten two segment credit by calling in to the MP desk.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Ah yes, another thread about the difference between a direct flight & a non-stop.

Direct Fight - Is a flight between two points under a single flight number. A direct flight may or may not have intermediate stops and may be on different aircraft.

Non-Stop - A flight between two points with no scheduled intermediate stops.

All Non-Stop Flights are Direct Flights but not all Direct Flights are Non-Stop.

There are not really any other names besides the above.

UA awards miles based only on Direct Flights with mileage based (loosely) on the great-circle routing between the two points. The number of miles awards has nothing to do with the actual path flown.

The New York Times and countless others have written about this issue.

The easy answer is that UA doesn't have enough flight numbers to cover its needs so it uses the same number for several flights each day. It, in many but not all cases, markets these as direct flights.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by kenn0223:22213767

UA awards miles based only on Direct Flights with mileage based (loosely) on the great-circle routing between the two points. The number of miles awards has nothing to do with the actual path flown.

The easy answer is that UA doesn't have enough flight numbers to cover its needs so it uses the same number for several flights each day. It, in many but not all cases, markets these as direct flights.
Thanks, Ken. Good reply post. Not getting credit for a scheduled extra, IIRC, 2h in a seat seems so unfair. If that is the case, ie, not enough FL#s, credit should be duly awarded. I am curious if previous poster is right that MP will give credit if making the call.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Thanks, Ken. Good reply post. Not getting credit for a scheduled extra, IIRC, 2h in a seat seems so unfair. If that is the case, ie, not enough FL#s, credit should be duly awarded. I am curious if previous poster is right that MP will give credit if making the call.
In my experience they wont give credit after the fact, but if you call in advance and ask to "split the segments" they will usually do so (sometimes this results in $5 of extra taxes to pay). The reason for splitting the segments (as well as the extra miles) is you will find upgrades and seat assignments often don't work on the second segment of a direct flight.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by alex_b
In my experience they wont give credit after the fact, but if you call in advance and ask to "split the segments" they will usually do so (sometimes this results in $5 of extra taxes to pay). The reason for splitting the segments (as well as the extra miles) is you will find upgrades and seat assignments often don't work on the second segment of a direct flight.
I didn't know that segments could be split. Good to know. Rarely, I have to route through IAH (e.g., to avoid WX). I'll keep that in mind should that come up in the future
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: *G, UA Plat, Hertz Pres
UA535/304 miles

Hey all,

Newb question but I've not booked a "direct with stops" flight before. From what I understand for these two flights (JFK-LAX-LAS and LAS-SFO-JFK) I will only get mileage as if flying direct JFK-LAS; is that right? If so: two questions:
1. Do I still need an RPU to upgrade the PS portion? How do upgrades work on this route?
2. Is it possible to split the flights?

Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
UA535/304 miles

If he flights are same flight number & sold as a one-stop direct flight, correct, you only get mileage as if you've flown JFK - LAS. If booked as a connection with different flight numbers, or, AFAIK, booked on the same flight numbers but as a connection (I.e use multi city to book the segments separately) then you get mileage JFK-LAX and LAX-LAS.

Yes - you need to use an RPU if you want to upgrade the PS flight. They work the same as any other route - you apply the RPU and when (if) R space opens up and you are next on the list, you get the upgrade. No matter what, you should be able to use one RPU to upgrade both segments in the single direction (RPUs clear above CPUs for the non-PS segment). Also, if booked as direct, one stop flight, you will only clear if R space opens up on JFK-LAS - one segment or the other may open on its own, and you would not be upgraded on that segment. Also note if booking a direct flight with one flight number - apparently there's a bug where you may not make it on the CPU list properly - there's another thread on that somewhere.

I haven't booked on a direct flight in years, but evidence in this board seems to suggest that while it is possible, many agents either will not do this or don't know how.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yobz
Hey all,

Newb question but I've not booked a "direct with stops" flight before. From what I understand for these two flights (JFK-LAX-LAS and LAS-SFO-JFK) I will only get mileage as if flying direct JFK-LAS; is that right? If so: two questions:
1. Do I still need an RPU to upgrade the PS portion? How do upgrades work on this route?
2. Is it possible to split the flights?

Thanks!
1. Yes you need an RPU for the PS flights
2. Yes you can call and ask to split the segments (you may have difficulty assigning seats otherwise), I've done this successfully before.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
i think if you book the exact same flights it as "multi city" search instead of "JFK-LAS", the reservation comes out with segments already split up .... someone correct me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.