Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with/how to use XXX miles?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
I'm sorry that you are suffering from this. It doesn't have to be an entire loss.

1. Just buy a magazine subscription, and iTunes song, or something equally small every 17 months. Activity every 18 months keeps your miles from expiring.
2. Consider getting a Chase credit card with the United branding. That works to keep the account posting new activity, thus no expiration.
3. Combine the two (MileagePlus shopping and a Chase card) and save the miles for a future trip that you value. UA flies to a whole lot of places, so 8000 miles is a good start to a special vacation later.
4. Need more miles to make your AeroPlan status? Two words: Mileage run. It's early September, so you have about 3 months to look for deals before the Christmas season starts to make flying cost prohibitive. I've had good MR opportunities come up as late as the first week in December some years.

If you figure out how to automatically log in in FireFox, Chrome or Safari, please share that with me. I have tried, and I can't make it happen on purpose. I would really like to know how to accidentally set that up!

Best of luck to you. May this be an opening door rather than a closing one. Two programs can be better than one in some cases, and this may just be one of those cases.
Thank you so much for the good tips.

Here I am trying to explain how dose firefox work on cookies.
first, open a firefox browser, at the left side of the URL there will be a Lock sign(pic 1), click on it, it will show a pop window, then click on "more information",there will be another pop window, there are two button permission and security(pic 2), you will find the some options to choose to store the cookies of the website.
after these setting's done, restart firefox and go to www.united.com, when you log in, there will be a warning window pop up to ask you whether you want to store the username and password, sth like this, if you choose to remember, then next time you visit united.com, you should see those account info showing on the webpage(pic 3)

hope you could understand my words, good luck!

Last edited by Yi Xiong; Sep 13, 2013 at 7:16 pm
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: United platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG plat
Google "airline miles for magazines", then us the site (I forget the name of it) to send some free magazine subscriptions to a few of your US friends. I doubt they'll ship the magazines into Canada, but they might do that too.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Just for the record, that has nothing to do with cookies.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is pretty standard in the industry -- it is very hard and usually unsuccessful to uncredit from one program and re-credit to another.

While you my try another or two agent (especially try MileagePlus Service Center, not Reservations) but generally the answer will be no.
Thank you for the suggestion, actually I tried calling customer service, they transferred my call to the related representative, she said she can not do it, but she suggested me to mail my boarding pass to the service center, and I mailed them, but later I got email told me they can not do it.

I went to united website, there are not many choice for me because i am not US resident. thats why I came here looking for solution.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I once tried to teach a person (for work) who used her mouse on the screen (like right on the screen itself). From that experience, I learned that you should only try to teach technology and/or technology terms once esp in the general public (minus kids) -- if they don't grasp it, don't try it again. Even if they get it, they'll forget it within a few hours.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Your login has nothing with do with the whole case.

1. In your passenger information (for TSA), you are allowed to provide another FFP number. Even you have a UA number, it does not mean you have to stick with it.

2. Even you don't realize between the time you book and check-in for your mistake, your boarding pass will definitely have your account shown. If you have ever been a AC *G before, you will notice the issue.

Sorry to say - lesson learned and move on. The chance you can get it is really slim.

To be honest, it may be easier to tell AC that you made the mistake. They might able to override it for you.

Thank you very much for the reply
Yes, I was writing a email to Aeroplan last night to explain this, hope they could help me.

Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
Do you still have your boarding passes? If so, my suggestion is to ask the MileagePlus service center to just delete your mileage credit for all the segments. You can then file a missing mileage request with Aeroplan for the credit. In your request tell them that UA deleted the mileage credit.

It is possible you will end up with no miles anywhere but if you can get UA to delete the credit you have a reasonable chance to get the credit from Aeroplan.
Thank you very much for the suggestion, I did mail my boarding pass to MP center, but they refused to help me. so I am trying to deal with Aeroplan, ask them to help me. if that dosen't work, I will try to ask united to delete my miles

Originally Posted by kettle1
Try all of the suggestions on the above posts. If the miles cannot transfer and you never plan to fly on UA, donate the miles to a charity, such as make a wish foundation. Don't let the miles expire.

I also use Firefox and have never had this problem.

Have a great Friday the 13th.
Thank you for the reply, I was trying every method to fix this, because actually the problem happened to my hubby's account, I always book ticket for him, I wish he can keep his membership, its better for him during the tiring trip.
yes, I am kind of lazy people, always stored cookies on my computer saving time to log in, just this time I was careless.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 13, 2013 at 7:16 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Yi Xiong
I am kind of lazy people, always stored cookies on my computer saving time to log in, just this time I was careless.
I'll say this simply. Your problem had nothing to do with cookies. Firefox has an automatic login system. You have a United MileagePlus login stored in that system. Cookies are a different technology which is not related to your problem.

Good luck!
Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Thank you for the suggestion, actually I tried calling customer service, they transferred my call to the related representative, she said she can not do it, but she suggested me to mail my boarding pass to the service center, and I mailed them, but later I got email told me they can not do it.

I went to united website, there are not many choice for me because i am not US resident. thats why I came here looking for solution.
A possible solution. Forget about the miles in your UA account.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I might try setting up a three-way call between the Aeroplan Service Center, the Mileage Plus Service Center, and you.

Working together, they may be able to delete the mileage credit from MP and re-add it to AP.

Definitely not even likely to work, but probably worth a try before you give up.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
+1 Cookies or not, you can still change the number.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 3:14 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Thank you so much for the good tips.

Here I am trying to explain how dose firefox work on cookies.
first, open a firefox browser, at the left side of the URL there will be a Lock sign(pic 1), click on it, it will show a pop window, then click on "more information",there will be another pop window, there are two button permission and security(pic 2), you will find the some options to choose to store the cookies of the website.
after these setting's done, restart firefox and go to www.united.com, when you log in, there will be a warning window pop up to ask you whether you want to store the username and password, sth like this, if you choose to remember, then next time you visit united.com, you should see those account info showing on the webpage(pic 3)

hope you could understand my words, good luck!
For what it's worth, that is not what I would consider to be an automatic login. You previously told firefox to remember some form values so the MP Number and PWD were auto filled in but you still have to click the "sign in" button. That means that you intentionally logged in. To me, Automatic login would mean that anytime you started up your browser and went to united.com, it would already say "Welcome xxx" in the upper right corner and you could buy a ticket without ever having to intentionally click the "Sign in" button.

In any case, good luck with trying to get the miles moved over.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wtigerFF
For what it's worth, that is not what I would consider to be an automatic login. You previously told firefox to remember some form values so the MP Number and PWD were auto filled in but you still have to click the "sign in" button. That means that you intentionally logged in. To me, Automatic login would mean that anytime you started up your browser and went to united.com, it would already say "Welcome xxx" in the upper right corner and you could buy a ticket without ever having to intentionally click the "Sign in" button.

In any case, good luck with trying to get the miles moved over.
It is possible, though not by choosing the remember me option. If the OP uses a password manager (like 1password, Dashlane, etc.), you can actually do a full login without having to hit the sign in button. But that's a bit OT, because the OP is referring to cookies, which a password manager has nothing to do with. It also has nothing to do with the OPs ability to change FF programs on the ticket.

Fact is, the OP can try calling in to MP or AP, but having miles reversed after they've been posted probably won't happen. This is probably a situation where they'll have to learn the hard way. We all do this at some point.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Lesson learned. It happens.

The safest way to have your mileage credited to a particular airline's FF account is to use that airline's web site (and not UA.com, if not wanted to credited to MP) to make the reservations.

Very simple.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:08 pm

How to use best my soon-to-expire (57k+30K) miles

Hi,
My wife's account has 57K miles and I have 30K miles.
We are couple with 2 kids (5yr + 1yr).

My wife's miles will expire in next month end. It will be shame to let those miles expire, hence I was looking for best use of them.

We have vacation days left, so I think, best return of miles will be book some destination ticket (our airport is newark, nj) and explore new area.
I think, we can't book vacation packages using award miles.

Buying stuff gives us avg of 50cents for each 100 miles. And we don't have to buy anything yet.

Last option would be, I let them expire and you can re-instate them by paying $50 per 25,000 miles upto 18months.

I don't know anyone (or it's more of hassle), asking any friend/family looking for travel and asking for cash.

I will appreciate, if you can share some tips, given my situation.
Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Buy a song. Full details in the expiring miles thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.