Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with/how to use XXX miles?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Yi Xiong
thank you for the reply

yes, I stored the account info in my computer cookie long time ago, so it will automatically log me in when i visit united.com which I didn't notice when i bought the ticket. I don't have any trip within 700 miles as I know. I live in Canada, such a big land...
Nope. The United login cookie remains valid for like 2 hours. You logged in.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Nope. The United login cookie remains valid for like 2 hours. You logged in.
I am using firefox, it has it's own cookies.

the fact is I never wanted my miles to be collected by united since I am a 35k aeroplan member, I didn't know what happened to my computer that time. I purchased so many times on united.com, it never happened before, I was just so confused.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:37 pm

I am using firefox, it has it's own cookies.
This technically makes no sense -- the session is controlled by the server. The cookies probably only store the session ID (I haven't checked exactly) which expires within a few hours (usually less with UAs issues).

What is more logical and technically possible is that your MP account number and pin code/password is stored into firefox's remember form feature (or an add-on feature). Upon check out, it automatically prefilled those values into the prompt right before asking you to purchase. It then automatically logged you in when you pressed continue and purchased the ticket under the account.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
My computer and ipad always logs me in automatically to my account when i visit the site, even if it has been several weeks between visits.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by edcho
This technically makes no sense -- the session is controlled by the server. The cookies probably only store the session ID (I haven't checked exactly) which expires within a few hours (usually less with UAs issues).

What is more logical and technically possible is that your MP account number and pin code/password is stored into firefox's remember form feature (or an add-on feature). Upon check out, it automatically prefilled those values into the prompt right before asking you to purchase. It then automatically logged you in when you pressed continue and purchased the ticket under the account.
due to my my poor English I could not explain well, thanks for the explanations.

Originally Posted by lovenola
My computer and ipad always logs me in automatically to my account when i visit the site, even if it has been several weeks between visits.
Thanks, finally someone believed me.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 12, 2013 at 9:02 pm Reason: merge

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I feel very disappointed with united mileageplus, other company not this cruel to let me lose my 35k membership.
Sorry to say but this is your own fault not mileageplus's fault. It's a mistake you'll have to live with. Once you fly, they will post the miles to the proper account which they did. Plus your tickets had your mileageplus # on them so you could have changed them at the airport. At this point even if you could get them pulled from your account, Aeroplan will look at your tickets and not see your aeroplan number on them.
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
OP had the opportunity to switch the credit right up till boarding. Sorry, it is his fault for not looking at the number till after the flight.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by fieldeng
Sorry to say but this is your own fault not mileageplus's fault. It's a mistake you'll have to live with. Once you fly, they will post the miles to the proper account which they did. Plus your tickets had your mileageplus # on them so you could have changed them at the airport. At this point even if you could get them pulled from your account, Aeroplan will look at your tickets and not see your aeroplan number on them.
Thanks for reminding me this, I never said that's their fault, it was my carelessness, but this mistake is not so serious and can not be fixed, they just need to do some manually set up, it doesn't hurt anybody.
There are forgiveness, kindness to make this world better, to give guilty people a chance to fix small mistake, let them feel warm and be appreciative in future.
I have learned my lesson no matter whether they give back my miles, and I will be more appreciate if they helped me.
Anyway, if I have chance to forgive people, I will, especially it won't hurt myself, maybe others not agree with this.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I'm sorry that you are suffering from this. It doesn't have to be an entire loss.

1. Just buy a magazine subscription, and iTunes song, or something equally small every 17 months. Activity every 18 months keeps your miles from expiring.
2. Consider getting a Chase credit card with the United branding. That works to keep the account posting new activity, thus no expiration.
3. Combine the two (MileagePlus shopping and a Chase card) and save the miles for a future trip that you value. UA flies to a whole lot of places, so 8000 miles is a good start to a special vacation later.
4. Need more miles to make your AeroPlan status? Two words: Mileage run. It's early September, so you have about 3 months to look for deals before the Christmas season starts to make flying cost prohibitive. I've had good MR opportunities come up as late as the first week in December some years.

If you figure out how to automatically log in in FireFox, Chrome or Safari, please share that with me. I have tried, and I can't make it happen on purpose. I would really like to know how to accidentally set that up!

Best of luck to you. May this be an opening door rather than a closing one. Two programs can be better than one in some cases, and this may just be one of those cases.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I request United to return my miles to my aeroplan account ,they refused, its 8000miles, which would make me qualify for next's year 35k Elite membership. I feel very disappointed with united mileageplus, other company not this cruel to let me lose my 35k membership.
This is pretty standard in the industry -- it is very hard and usually unsuccessful to uncredit from one program and re-credit to another.

While you my try another or two agent (especially try MileagePlus Service Center, not Reservations) but generally the answer will be no.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Do you still have your boarding passes? If so, my suggestion is to ask the MileagePlus service center to just delete your mileage credit for all the segments. You can then file a missing mileage request with Aeroplan for the credit. In your request tell them that UA deleted the mileage credit.

It is possible you will end up with no miles anywhere but if you can get UA to delete the credit you have a reasonable chance to get the credit from Aeroplan.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Your login has nothing with do with the whole case.

1. In your passenger information (for TSA), you are allowed to provide another FFP number. Even you have a UA number, it does not mean you have to stick with it.

2. Even you don't realize between the time you book and check-in for your mistake, your boarding pass will definitely have your account shown. If you have ever been a AC *G before, you will notice the issue.

Sorry to say - lesson learned and move on. The chance you can get it is really slim.

To be honest, it may be easier to tell AC that you made the mistake. They might able to override it for you.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Alright everyone, I think he gets that he screwed up.

OP: Call up the MP service desk explain the mix up and ask the to "release" the miles and then call up your prefered FF programe to request a credit. There is a Star Alliance desk that might (probably) have to get involved. It is a PAIN in the ... to get done, but not impossible.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Try all of the suggestions on the above posts. If the miles cannot transfer and you never plan to fly on UA, donate the miles to a charity, such as make a wish foundation. Don't let the miles expire.

I also use Firefox and have never had this problem.

Have a great Friday the 13th.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look at this as an opportunity to switch from pretty awful (and yet still detiriorating based on aeroplan forum posts) AC program to MP which is probably the best in frequent flyer world these days..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.