Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with/how to use XXX miles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:30 am
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Where are you leaving from? Did you want to go abroad or stay in the US, presuming you are US based. Do you want warm weather or is cold OK? Are you limited to Thurs-Sun?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
ICN? Seoul is eminently affordable (decent hotels for easily under $100) and plenty of holiday-time I and R space.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I have a fun question. I have ~55,000 miles banked. Suggest me a worthwhile destination ex-BWI where I could either do RT or at least one-way for that. I'm considering maybe a saver to Auckland, or hanging onto them to go RT to LAX or SAN or SFO.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aresef
I have a fun question. I have ~55,000 miles banked. Suggest me a worthwhile destination ex-BWI where I could either do RT or at least one-way for that. I'm considering maybe a saver to Auckland, or hanging onto them to go RT to LAX or SAN or SFO.
If you redeem for O/W, is the revenue price of O/W return relevant to you?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by fumje
If you redeem for O/W, is the revenue price of O/W return relevant to you?
Yeah, inasmuch I'd need to factor it into trip costs.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aresef
Yeah, inasmuch I'd need to factor it into trip costs.
In that case my inclination would be to purchase an extra 5k-15k award miles and to redeem R/T saver for Europe (5k extra) or Asia/Oceana (15k).
Old May 6, 2019, 12:28 pm

Anything I can do with 13k miles?

I've effectively stopped using *A as it's rarely advantageous for where I live now, and I have 13k miles expiring soon. Seems to be too little for flights etc, but does anyone have any suggestions for something I could use these for so they don't just go to waste?

Thanks!
Old May 6, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
That's within the range of a lot of one way flights within the continental US in economy.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:32 pm

Sorry, should have specified that I live in the UK! Based in Scotland.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Sorry, should have specified that I live in the UK! Based in Scotland.
Some " Valid for nonstop flights that are 800 miles or less " European awards (on partners) are 8K miles and been some reports of lower quantities recent.

Just need to find a partner flight out of EDI to the continent , note the end to end distance is what matters, not the routing, so connecting in LHR is possible

Brussels Airlines Brussels
Eurowings Cologne/Bonn, Düsseldorf
Lufthansa Frankfurt

MUC is too far at 828 miles

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 6, 2019 at 12:56 pm
Old May 6, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just need to find a partner flight, note the end to end distance is what matters, not the routing, so connecting in LHR is possible
Not true; the 800-mile 8K awards are nonstop only. (Also, I don't think there's MileagePlus partner that flies EDI-LHR)
Old May 6, 2019, 1:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Not true; the 800-mile 8K awards are nonstop only. (Also, I don't think there's MileagePlus partner that flies EDI-LHR)
Read right past that clear statement (different from the USA short haul awards) and there is no partners to LHR. But EI? to DUB and a handful of non-stops to the continent on partners from EDI
jsloan likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I think SAS does but through Stockholm, so that won't work either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.