Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EVA (BR) award experiences using United miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA (BR) award experiences using United miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by star_world
What would UA have to gain by limiting another airline's award availability?
Less payments to BR. It was the basis for the infamous starnet blocking employed by the old UA.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Less payments to BR. It was the basis for the infamous starnet blocking employed by the old UA.
Those days (and that management team) are thankfully long gone. There isn't a hint of that going on now.

Are you saying that it's a likely scenario that UA would just limit BR flights, out of all of the *A partners, to make less payments to them? Or is it more likely that, as a new partner, there were some issues with how the flights were being displayed on the website and they need to be fixed?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world
Those days (and that management team) are thankfully long gone. There isn't a hint of that going on now.

Are you saying that it's a likely scenario that UA would just limit BR flights, out of all of the *A partners, to make less payments to them?
The data during those days are still available. It is just a matter of time before the new UA takes another quick look at that. If it was major cost saver, I can see them trying it out. There is less competition, especially within Star Alliance in the North America once US leaves.

The airline industry is capable of shocking us. I was stunned when UA changed their date change policy on awards. The old and new UA were very favorable in that regard and were moving more and more to becoming the most generous in that aspect untill they made a full 180.

In short, I won't be surprised at anything they pull of now. With respect to BR, it is possible they realized that there was a surge of bookings on BR as they just became members and had lots of availability, thus resulting in a huge net payment towards them. Maybe the current situation is that with most partners, there is no net payment towards the partner or if there is, it may be a small one.

Last edited by UA Fan; Jul 3, 2013 at 11:10 am
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update here. We've seen a small issue with a limited number of BR awards since launch. It's a relatively straightforward fix, but in order to maintain the quality of the booking path we've temporarily pulled down BR inventory while we work through the resolution. We'll put the award booking functionality back online after we resolve the issue, likely late next week or a few days after.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Great, can the same fix be applied to LH First award inventory?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA Fan
With respect to BR, it is possible they realized that there was a surge of bookings on BR as they just became members and had lots of availability, this resulting in a huge net payment towards them. Maybe the current situation is that with most partners, there is no net payment towards the partner or if there is, it may be a small one.
Yup - I was tracking JFK-TPE-JFK space in Aug, as noted upthread. Went from C availability virtually every day to none at all. Did the calendar flipping from June to July magically zap out that space? I have my doubts.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yup - I was tracking JFK-TPE-JFK space in Aug, as noted upthread. Went from C availability virtually every day to none at all. Did the calendar flipping from June to July magically zap out that space? I have my doubts.
True. It could also mean that lots of other Star Alliance members redeemed awards.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold
Please fix TSA as valid airport/destination

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update here. We've seen a small issue with a limited number of BR awards since launch. It's a relatively straightforward fix, but in order to maintain the quality of the booking path we've temporarily pulled down BR inventory while we work through the resolution. We'll put the award booking functionality back online after we resolve the issue, likely late next week or a few days after.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Thanks for the heads-up and quick update. I look forward to the return of EVA availability displaying on united.com.

In the meantime, can someone on the web team please fix TSA (Taipei Songshan) as a valid airport/destination? It broke along with the EVA availability being pulled. This airport is also served by other Star Alliance partners including NH and CA. Award availability on routes like HND-TSA and SHA-TSA among others are no longer showing even though they are available. In fact, this has been an on-and-off bug on united.com over the past several months. Perhaps it's a separate issue that needs to be addressed. It would be greatly appreciated especially with the loss of service on UA metal to the Taipei metro area.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
successful BR award booking using UA miles

After reading UA Insider's posts, I'm thankful that I completed my award reservation using UA miles on July 1st before UA pulled the inventory. They had mid-Dec availability for SFO-TPE-BKK in economy saver and mid-Jan availability for DPS-TPE-SFO business saver.

Looking forward to the TPE-SFO sector in the new Royal Laurel Class.

Cheers,
A_Czar
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:09 pm

This was a glitch I bet.

The award inventory fare class must have been misaligned for a short time as BR joined Star Alliance on 16 June and they re-aligning fare classes not to long ago.

BR is also missing from EF award search from today.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: Recovering UA 1k, MillionMiler
There is other goofy technical stuff happening here. Yesterday morning I was going to change my daughter's *A booking TPE-LAX to a direct flight on EVA. EVA was showing then. Unfortunately, I had to contact her about times and when I came back EVA was gone.

What was strange was that now the the other *A carriers were showing up at 115,000 miles for Economy award and 235,000 for Business -- when use the Change Flight page. Which is simply ridiculous. Trying to do a 2nd direct booking came up with the appropriate number of miles (32,500 for Saver Economy). The Change Flight miles -- which should be 0 -- is still showing up as a ridiculous number now.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Any insight on when LO, SN, ET J will be available (again).
When did ET J disappear? I saw some either earlier today or last night.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by greendx
When did ET J disappear? I saw some either earlier today or last night.
I see plenty of ET J now.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by loyalStarwoodfan
Thanks for the heads-up and quick update. I look forward to the return of EVA availability displaying on united.com.

In the meantime, can someone on the web team please fix TSA (Taipei Songshan) as a valid airport/destination? It broke along with the EVA availability being pulled. This airport is also served by other Star Alliance partners including NH and CA. Award availability on routes like HND-TSA and SHA-TSA among others are no longer showing even though they are available. In fact, this has been an on-and-off bug on united.com over the past several months. Perhaps it's a separate issue that needs to be addressed. It would be greatly appreciated especially with the loss of service on UA metal to the Taipei metro area.
When I checked this about 24 hours ago, I was able to find availability TSA-HND and TSA-SHA on united.com So, it was fixed.

A while back, it did not take TSA. Then it did but could not find any flights. Then it was working like 24 hours ago and showing BR, CA and NH nonstops.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by erik123
The award inventory fare class must have been misaligned for a short time as BR joined Star Alliance on 16 June and they re-aligning fare classes not to long ago.
While BR did adjust their inventory with the changeover they control it and they are publishing the information into StarNet. Other partners still see the space so the change isn't one on the BR side. UA flipped the switch on and then flipped it off. And in a week or so they'll flip it on again.

Originally Posted by erik123
BR is also missing from EF award search from today.
And where do you think EF gets the data from??

Originally Posted by rankourabu
well, hold on, the inventory is still there, its just not showing online, right? @:-)
Correct. It is still bookable. You just have to call it in.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
While BR did adjust their inventory with the changeover they control it and they are publishing the information into StarNet. Other partners still see the space so the change isn't one on the BR side. UA flipped the switch on and then flipped it off. And in a week or so they'll flip it on again.

And where do you think EF gets the data from??

Correct. It is still bookable. You just have to call it in.
UA showed 4+ awards for months (on JFK-TPE in my case) while BR seems to only 4 seats at a time in business - so it looked like a mistake to me. Other award engines did not show similar availability when I checked. UA must have coded awards as a D or Z instead of an I fare is my guess when they loaded it into the system.

Does EF pull BR from UA? I remember seeing BR awards on EF 2 weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.