Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EVA (BR) award experiences using United miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA (BR) award experiences using United miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2023, 6:50 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I wonder if the recent phantom award availability and issues people are having, described in this thread, also have helped to result in what is discussed in this recent story about *A availability on EF.https://onemileatatime.com/news/expe...ibextid=9R9pXO
Old Oct 10, 2023, 12:19 am

Programs: Marriot, ANA, IHG, AA, JMB
I booked a BR flight from TPE-NRT for Feb. I got both UA and BR confirmation numbers but after 5 hours the ticket is still not ticketed, (The last time I booked a month ago it got ticketed within minutes)
I got a bit worry and called UA to check and the agent told me it takes 24hrs to 36 hrs to ticket.
Should I be worry about this is some kind of ghost ticket or I am OK?

Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2023, 4:54 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by tling
I booked a BR flight from TPE-NRT for Feb. I got both UA and BR confirmation numbers but after 5 hours the ticket is still not ticketed, (The last time I booked a month ago it got ticketed within minutes)
I got a bit worry and called UA to check and the agent told me it takes 24hrs to 36 hrs to ticket.

Thanks
Sounds like you're ok! Most folks can't get that far - they get an error. Did you book online or call to book?
Old Oct 10, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: Marriot, ANA, IHG, AA, JMB
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Sounds like you're ok! Most folks can't get that far - they get an error. Did you book online or call to book?
Thank you I booked online
Old Oct 10, 2023, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
I think its the Transpacific portion which is hard to find availability, Award flights in business within Asia seem relatively easy to find.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by tling

Thanks
Did it ticket?
Old Nov 9, 2023, 2:06 am

Just giving my experience with this issue. I was able book a TPE-CDG-IST-AMM itinerary in J for around 72k UA miles in Sep, with travel in late Nov. The itinerary was confirmed, ticket number issued, EVA confirmation number and seat on the BR leg confirmed (6K). I checked the itinerary a few days after booking and it was all showing as confirmed, with the seat selected. For context, I'm UA Platinum.

Fast forward six weeks and I checked the itinerary just to confirm all was OK, and the TPE-CDG leg is showing as "waitlisted" on both the UA and BR websites, and in the "My Trips" panel on the UA App the itinerary is just listed as showing two legs - CDG-IST, and IST-AMM. I received no notification about this change. I called the UA Premier Line twice over the issue two days in a row trying to address this and both conversations followed the same basic pattern of:
1) Misunderstanding the situation and assuming that I'd booked the itinerary knowing I was going to be on the waitlist.
2) Then assuming that the itinerary was never actually confirmed to begin with.
3) Then assuming that while United had confirmed it, BR had never actually confirmed it.
4) Then accepting that this is just a problem with BR and there's nothing UA can do, but indicating that if I wait, my seat "might" clear but that they really don't have any visibility over that process
5) Finally saying because it was an award flight with no UA segments to begin with, they really had no responsibility to accommodate me and that while they regretted the situation ithere wasn't anything they could do.

Ultimately, the only options offered to me were to rebook into Economy and have the miles difference refunded, or to cancel the whole itinerary. I asked the agent about being accommodated on UA metal, as UA flies to both cities however the agent said that an itinerary between TPE and AMM on UA metal won't "price", so the impression I got was that even if it had been available, she'd have asked me to pay the difference in miles, which presumably would have been an astronomical number considering the way that UA prices its own flights now.

At this juncture, I'd be reluctant to book any BR awards using UA miles due the unpredictability involved.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by tracks1000
Just giving my experience with this issue. I was able book a TPE-CDG-IST-AMM itinerary in J for around 72k UA miles in Sep, with travel in late Nov. The itinerary was confirmed, ticket number issued, EVA confirmation number and seat on the BR leg confirmed (6K). I checked the itinerary a few days after booking and it was all showing as confirmed, with the seat selected. For context, I'm UA Platinum.

Fast forward six weeks and I checked the itinerary just to confirm all was OK, and the TPE-CDG leg is showing as "waitlisted" on both the UA and BR websites, and in the "My Trips" panel on the UA App the itinerary is just listed as showing two legs - CDG-IST, and IST-AMM. I received no notification about this change. I called the UA Premier Line twice over the issue two days in a row trying to address this and both conversations followed the same basic pattern of:
1) Misunderstanding the situation and assuming that I'd booked the itinerary knowing I was going to be on the waitlist.
2) Then assuming that the itinerary was never actually confirmed to begin with.
3) Then assuming that while United had confirmed it, BR had never actually confirmed it.
4) Then accepting that this is just a problem with BR and there's nothing UA can do, but indicating that if I wait, my seat "might" clear but that they really don't have any visibility over that process
5) Finally saying because it was an award flight with no UA segments to begin with, they really had no responsibility to accommodate me and that while they regretted the situation ithere wasn't anything they could do.

Ultimately, the only options offered to me were to rebook into Economy and have the miles difference refunded, or to cancel the whole itinerary. I asked the agent about being accommodated on UA metal, as UA flies to both cities however the agent said that an itinerary between TPE and AMM on UA metal won't "price", so the impression I got was that even if it had been available, she'd have asked me to pay the difference in miles, which presumably would have been an astronomical number considering the way that UA prices its own flights now.

At this juncture, I'd be reluctant to book any BR awards using UA miles due the unpredictability involved.
I would not give up on this. Hopefully others with more knowledge will confirm, but I am under the impression that once it fully tickets then they can't just un-confirm it. This isn't a situation where the flight has been discontinued or anything.
At the least, I would file a DOT complaint so it gets in front of someone at United with more authority and understanding then front line call center.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I would not give up on this. Hopefully others with more knowledge will confirm, but I am under the impression that once it fully tickets then they can't just un-confirm it. This isn't a situation where the flight has been discontinued or anything.
At the least, I would file a DOT complaint so it gets in front of someone at United with more authority and understanding then front line call center.

There have been plenty of these recently. One non-BR leg gets changed (for example, a reschedule of 5-minute), then the BR segments became waitlisted. UA would say that they can’t force a partner to confirm a flight or to open up availability. Try calling again (and again and again) and there might be an agent willing to change the waitlisted flights to UA metal.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
There have been plenty of these recently. One non-BR leg gets changed (for example, a reschedule of 5-minute), then the BR segments became waitlisted. UA would say that they can’t force a partner to confirm a flight or to open up availability. Try calling again (and again and again) and there might be an agent willing to change the waitlisted flights to UA metal.
Crazy. Has anyone tried the DOT complaint route? Seems this is an area where consumer protection is needed.

I have used United award miles on BR several times in the past without any issue, but lately I have just been buying J class with them directly.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.