Wiki Posts
Search

New TV Commercial for p.s.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mitchmu
In response, what I said is the truth. I've flown hundreds of thousands of TPAC and TATL miles out of SFO, and all of them were 777 and 747.
Sure, but that's because UA is much more likely to operate those plane types out of SFO on TP and TA flights, for a variety of reasons including distance and maintenance facilities. The point is that because you fly out of SFO your experience is not typical of everyone who flies UA.

I find the larger aircraft to be smoother, quieter, and more comfortable. I find the smaller aircraft, to be noisier and less comfortable.
OK, that's interesting, so I looked for measurements taken by actual researchers. But they don't seem to support your belief:

B737 75.8 dB
B767 71.9 dB
B777 75.5 dB
B747 74.2 dB
A380 67.9 dB

Source: http://acer-coe.org/files/onboardstudy2012.pdf

My guess is that it's a placebo effect.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
OK, that's interesting, so I looked for measurements taken by actual researchers. But they don't seem to support your belief:

B737 75.8 dB
B767 71.9 dB
B777 75.5 dB
B747 74.2 dB
A380 67.9 dB

Source: http://acer-coe.org/files/onboardstudy2012.pdf

My guess is that it's a placebo effect.
That was a very interesting article, thanks for sharing it.

Page 5 seems to suggest that 747's generally have higher cabin pressure than 767's and that 777's are the same as, or lower than, 767's.

From my experience, I'd definitely say I'm happiest in 747's.

I wonder if a key factor affecting my comfort is cabin pressure.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dparkinson
So for those of you wondering if this was a trial run on Facebook or a real ad, it just ran in primetime on WCBS in New York at 8:45 PM. There's your answer.
Wow. That's just awful. Welcome back to the airwaves United!

(wonder if this is only a regional spot though)
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Wow. That's just awful. Welcome back to the airwaves United!

Anyone in LA/SF see the ad yesterday during New York's Fireworks?!?

Actually, in all honesty, that would probably be a good place to run the ad - on television in the LA/SF markets during NY's Fireworks on the 4th...seems like a good fit for the ad...too bad the ad is so horrible!

-jeremy
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It has to be, as it's pitching a product not offered in most markets.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
They should brig back Pentagram and give them full authority. Nuff said.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
On the road for the holiday and just saw the commercial on NBC4 at 2230. I guess that's New York, however we are currently at the Jersey shore.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Yep, it was on during the Yankees' game today on YES (here in NY on the local feed) at 20h45...my in-law's didn't say a word about the ad and didn't seem to care or notice that it was even on...

-jeremy
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by kmfdm91
my in-law's didn't say a word about the ad and didn't seem to care or notice that it was even on...
They used to immediately stop all conversation to address previous UA ads?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:08 pm

Saw it on WABC tonight during the news.

Clearly the strategy is to increase awareness in NY. Which makes some sense, since the majority of current PS traffic is made up of West Coast originating flyers. Wasn't much of a UA corporate presence here.

It wasn't as bad watching it in the flow of other commercials, which are...well commercials, and not that interesting to begin with.

Oh and for all the whining that this spot is a travesty inflicted by the 'Continental' management...

Jeff Foland, PMUA, who was head of PMUA marketing before the merger, led this campaign. See his quotes in the news release.

http://pdf.reuters.com/pdfnews/pdfne...701:nPnCG41194

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Jul 5, 2013 at 10:20 pm
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
New TV Commercial for p.s.

Foland doesn't have much of a brand or differentiated product to work with anymore.

The original p.s. by United did it right.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Foland doesn't have much of a brand or differentiated product to work with anymore.

The original p.s. by United did it right.
Here are photos from a PS business flight in January 2005.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...at111154AM.png

How is this different than what we see today in business class?

In fact, that large size main was downsized by PMUA, and made larger after 3/3/12.

All I can gather is we don't have a 'specialty cocktail' listed on the menu, and no pre-arrival snack. But we're getting a lie flat seat and real personal entertainment screens. Crews are the same.

I say all of this as a critic as well. In fact, recently wrote to senior management about the need to mystery shop Delta on these routes, as they do a much better job than United or AA. And a better job than United PS business circa 2005.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 11:03 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
This:

Originally Posted by BearX220
Rule one of visual advertising: show the product. They didn't show the product. They linger on the view out the window for 90% of the spot.
I'm glad United is at least making an attempt to actually show the product, but this spot fails.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I say all of this as a critic as well. In fact, recently wrote to senior management about the need to mystery shop Delta on these routes, as they do a much better job than United or AA. And a better job than United PS business circa 2005.
Any response?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by PTahCha

p.s. does have bubbly on board. The quality of the bubbly is not guaranteed, however, but it does make a good mimosa.
Yup! On my PS flights, they never brought out the bottle and I dared not ask what it was!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.