FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   New TV Commercial for p.s. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1480960-new-tv-commercial-p-s.html)

milesmuncher Jun 30, 13 2:16 pm

New TV Commercial for p.s.

Link

I like Matt Damon, but I'm not impressed - anyone else?

mduell Jun 30, 13 2:21 pm

Terrible ad. :td:

It's like something I'd expect a travel blogger to make and post on their own blog.

milesmuncher Jun 30, 13 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 21017247)
Terrible ad. :td:

It's like something I'd expect a travel blogger to make and post on their own blog.

Hmmm - that could actually be a really funny series of parody YouTube videos...

PHLGovFlyer Jun 30, 13 2:36 pm

Yawn.

Where's the impact? The emotional connection? The aspirational goal?

Some random guy telling me that PS is just like traveling in a premium cabin overseas doesn't really say much or provide a compelling message.

Eastbay1K Jun 30, 13 2:39 pm

Well, then ... flying overseas just isn't very luxurious!

sammyindc Jun 30, 13 2:55 pm

I don't like it! I miss the old United "cartoon" commercials.

sinoflyer Jun 30, 13 2:57 pm

Even B.D. Wong can't save this uninspired ad -- Lie-flat is great, we know. Love an ice cream sundae, yay.

~ YAWN

weirdlyndon Jun 30, 13 3:09 pm

Granted I'm not a fan of the commerical, but I am happily pleased to see they're investing in promoting their p.s. product. It indicates to me that this sub-product is important to them - enough to be committing some media dollars to promote it.

mlx52 Jun 30, 13 3:10 pm

Compared to some of the new AA ads, I find this to be very uninspiring. The music background is very PMUA which was nice to hear.

demkr Jun 30, 13 3:10 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

LOL. Too funny. What a crappy ad

milesmuncher Jun 30, 13 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer (Post 21017320)
Yawn.

Where's the impact? The emotional connection? The aspirational goal?

Some random guy telling me that PS is just like traveling in a premium cabin overseas doesn't really say much or provide a compelling message.

Couldn't agree more - it just falls flat because there's just no romance, no emotion, no nothing. It's basically reading a bunch of facts.

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon (Post 21017462)
Granted I'm not a fan of the commerical, but I am happily pleased to see they're investing in promoting their p.s. product. It indicates to me that this sub-product is important to them - enough to be committing some media dollars to promote it.

I agree - though I think it's a bit odd that they're launching this very specific ad campaign before a broader branding / rebranding mass campaign.

Originally Posted by mlx52 (Post 21017465)
Compared to some of the new AA ads, I find this to be very uninspiring. The music background is very PMUA which was nice to hear.

Agreed, I like the new AA ads - they touch on functional benefits (like international wifi), but still drive to a higher-level emotional connection. Having Don Draper narrate doesn't help either :p

UAL4life Jun 30, 13 3:18 pm

I liked it. Not as good as the cartoons but way better than the exCO ads it could have been!

Plus I like Matt Damon.

p.s.(no pun intended) is that really BD Wong?

EWR764 Jun 30, 13 3:22 pm

Is it any surprise that this ad would be panned on FT? At least it uses a classical arrangement of Rhapsody! ;)

palmetto86 Jun 30, 13 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer (Post 21017406)
Even B.D. Wong can't save this uninspired ad -- Lie-flat is great, we know. Love an ice cream sundae, yay.

~ YAWN

I feel like I'm a pretty culturally "with it" 27 year old, but I had to Google BD Wong. Who the hell is he, and why would United pick him for a commercial?

UA-NYC Jun 30, 13 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 21017507)
Is it any surprise that this ad would be panned on FT?

Nope, it's because it's weak - whereas good ads (like IMO recent DL/AA campaigns) are rightly praised