Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
New UA seats "get more comfortable over time"

LA Times article states that passengers dislike the new "slim line" seats that many airlines have begun installing. Not at UA though, lol:

"At United, internal passenger surveys show that the slim-line seats get higher ratings several months after being installed, suggesting the seats get more comfortable over time, airline spokesman Rahsaan Johnson said."

This airline would be comedic if it wasn't so pathetic these days.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...#ixzz2qrohxJLq
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
You mean they still have surveys?
Their one internal survey response must have been someone who flew on a worse UA seat.
We over entitled people have sore bums/backs.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
If you get punched every day, you might find it more bearable after several months, too.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
"At United, internal passenger surveys show that the slim-line seats get higher ratings several months after being installed, suggesting the seats get more comfortable over time, airline spokesman Rahsaan Johnson said."
I think he means "suggesting that passengers are suffering severe nerve damage in their lower backs".
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I think he means "suggesting that passengers are suffering severe nerve damage in their lower backs".
I think they mean that after spending several months on a CRJ/E-145 torture tube when they were switched out to a mainline aircraft with slimline seats the passengers thought the new seats were great.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
How long and how many aircraft are done to have any reliable info. My info is me sitting 3 times and all 3 times hearing passenger complain. Also, asking Flight Attendants and all of them acknowledge complaints they receive.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I flew NBO to BRU recently on SN. What terrible seats. Not only is the blood cut off to the legs but the shape of the seat back makes relaxing awkward. I was most relieved when transferred to the UA flight and padded seating. No more flying SN for me.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
I was just on one of these "enhanced" A320s yesterday. Luckily I was seated in F, but the new Y seats look uncomfortable. The new grey color does make the cabin a bit classier though.

More annoying is the "enhancements" to the IFE. As part of the refurb, they are taking out the drop-down IFE screens on these planes. Supposedly we are getting "streaming content" which of course, you have to pay a fee. The internet was not working during the flight, which meant there was no IFE of any kind, and no power plugs to use for your own devices.

Does anyone understand how United thinks people can stream content to their own devices on a >3 hour flight without power plugs at every seat? What are they thinking?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GeneralVeers
Does anyone understand how United thinks people can stream content to their own devices on a >3 hour flight without power plugs at every seat? What are they thinking?
Power is being installed beginning this year (though I don't know if the exact timeline has been announced). I don't think details were mentioned, but my guess is similar to the 737s, F will have one outlet per seat, with Y/Y+ getting 2 per each set of 3 seats.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
I flew NBO to BRU recently on SN. What terrible seats. Not only is the blood cut off to the legs but the shape of the seat back makes relaxing awkward. I was most relieved when transferred to the UA flight and padded seating. No more flying SN for me.
NBO SN service is on A330 widebodies fitted with the B/E Pinnacle seat, I don't see this relates to the Recaro seat being discussed here?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
First time trying out the Recaros on an A320. I've been on planes with them before but was always in first so this is my first time actually sitting in the new slimline seats.

With all the negative reports here I fully expected it to be like sitting on a park bench for 2.5 hrs but much to my surprise they weren't all that bad. Personally I still think they're softer and more comfortable than the current 737 seats. Still great legroom in row 7 so no need for me to worry about avoiding these birds in the future. Wifi is also working great on this flight. Writing this from 7F now.

Maybe sometime in our lifetime they'll actually get power ports and the streaming entertainment installed. Perhaps the reason the streaming entertainment is taking so long is because they changed their minds?? Keep dreaming... I know!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
i've sat in these new A320 seats too, and while they're not the most comfortable out there, It's better than WN's devolve and most of my domestic flights have been on 737s anyways.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
are these the same seats as on a modern looking 737-800 that i took from EWR to LAX in the exit row? if so, those are so painful. I was so happy on my flight from LAX to LIH to have a nice padded seat on an old 757-200. I don't care how "upgraded" the plane is, i'll take a drab looking 752 "ghettobird" any day as long as the seat is more comfortable!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
The onslaught has begun on the 737-900's now too. Yesterday was the first delivery of these birds arriving with the new seats . To their credit, UA acknowledges that customer reviews on the seats have not been good, that have noticed that opinion is trending higher as the seats get broken in (soften up a little etc). Said (no idea if actual) they are working with the manufacturer to try and improve the situation.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
The onslaught has begun on the 737-900's now too. Yesterday was the first delivery of these birds arriving with the new seats . To their credit, UA acknowledges that customer reviews on the seats have not been good, that have noticed that opinion is trending higher as the seats get broken in (soften up a little etc). Said (no idea if actual) they are working with the manufacturer to try and improve the situation.
They're different seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.