Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Well this thread/poll was started May 9th and here are the results so far. I've omitted the "I haven't tried them yet" votes because they really don't count as they haven't had to sit in the "prison plane's lawn chair" seats. I'm sure when they do, they'll dislike them as much as the rest of us.

Love it = 1 for .76%
Okay = 14 for 10.61%
Indifferent = 12 for 9.09%
Don't Like = 35 for 26.52%
Hate = 70 for 53.03%

So the tally for those to aren't happy is 79.55%.

With US leaving *A I was considering defecting to UA. Based on these seats I shall stay put with the New American or just go back to WN's Devolve seats. I think UA will win the race to the bottom.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by Michael El
With US leaving *A I was considering defecting to UA. Based on these seats I shall stay put with the New American or just go back to WN's Devolve seats. I think UA will win the race to the bottom.
Don't look now, but these are the same seats going into AA's new planes.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/news...nouncement.jsp
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Michael El
Well this thread/poll was started May 9th and here are the results so far. I've omitted the "I haven't tried them yet" votes because they really don't count as they haven't had to sit in the "prison plane's lawn chair" seats. I'm sure when they do, they'll dislike them as much as the rest of us.

Love it = 1 for .76%
Okay = 14 for 10.61%
Indifferent = 12 for 9.09%
Don't Like = 35 for 26.52%
Hate = 70 for 53.03%

So the tally for those to aren't happy is 79.55%.

But you gotta remember some of those "Hate" votes were from people who only voted because they don't like the change that's happening to the Airbus fleet and haven't actually flown in them yet.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:08 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
But you gotta remember some of those "Hate" votes were from people who only voted because they don't like the change that's happening to the Airbus fleet and haven't actually flown in them yet.
Wouldn't a similar ratio apply to those who voted in the other categories?

I've flown them, and find the seats awful. And everyone seated around me was voicing complaints about them, and even the FAs were trashing the new seats (it was a FA who said they're making the planes into the "Greyhound of the skies").
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by unavaca
Don't look now, but these are the same seats going into AA's new planes.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/news...nouncement.jsp
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Crikey I did not know this.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Experienced these new seats for the first time on Sunday, BOS-ORD-MSP, as a parasitical 1K mooching for an upgrade and denied.

Maybe row 7 is different but I found them to be quite comfy though the bottom cushion could be a little longer; it felt less like sitting on cement than the old seats, which is a plus. I vote: They Are OK. But I am not a large man, so YMMV.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Wouldn't a similar ratio apply to those who voted in the other categories?

I've flown them, and find the seats awful. And everyone seated around me was voicing complaints about them, and even the FAs were trashing the new seats (it was a FA who said they're making the planes into the "Greyhound of the skies").
I was more pointing out the fact about people who were voting on how they hate the seats before they even tried them out basing it on what others have said instead of actually trying them out for themselves. Me personally I haven't sat in those seats yet so I can't make a "love them/hate them" claim.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k 2.2 MM
I was curious about the Recaros -- but waited to pass judgment 'til I sat in one. Did so twice last week - DEN/SFO and SFO/SNA. Now, with experience, and without qualification "I HATE THEM". Am 6'1", and the lack of support for the thighs - not just a "bench" but like a stadium bench. Astonishingly horrible. Worse than I imagined, even after reading this thread.

Smisek said he felt fine about half-cashews because he eats them at home. That's reasonable/believable. Haven't heard him say he'd personally sit in these body-scrunchers! Willing to bet that there won't be any Smisek sightings, nor would he subject his own family members to sitting in them.

Incredible how hard Smisek is making it for a 16 year 1k / 2MM to feel brand-loyal. Short-term profitability is maybe good - but moronic long-term strategy.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I was really looking forward to trying out these seats since I first tried them out on a LH MAD-MUC-MAD flight a couple years ago and I really enjoyed them. They were soft and provided great back support even though they were extremely thin. Two months ago, I finally got an A320 on SFO-SEA with the new seats and I WAS DISAPPOINTED! UA did it wrong. The seats were so stiff and provided absolutely no back support and the headrest is too flat and awkward. Also, the cushion is too short, I felt my legs were hanging in a weird way. This is a huge downgrade compared to the current A320 seats which I LOVE. It's really sad the new slimline seat will be the standard
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:02 am

First time trying these out today.
Wow they are almost as bad as Southwest's dEvolve seating. Not only are they uncomfortable but Economy Plus feels as cramped as normal economy.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
I've flown on them TCON (UGH, OW), and BOS-EWR (they were fine). I'm 5'8" and my legs are on the shorter side, so the lower seat bottom is better for me than most other seats, and the shorter seat bottom isn't really an issue. It's just the lack of padding on the bottom seat on the TCON that was painful.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I finally flew on one. YYZ-ORD, these seats are awful. 8 people around me, not frequent flyers all made comments about how awful these seats are. These seats are not for standard height people and are awful on the behind and back. The hour flight caused so many complaints. The crew was fantastic, but they were tired of the complaints.

UA, please listen to your passengers and employees for once. This is bad. An hour flight and people making complaints about comfort. Awful!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
just flew the new config SFO-ORD in exit row 21. no IFE--thus, no channel 9 --plus uncomfortable seats for a four hour flight. not a fan. i've been flying UA so little lately that i completely missed this thread, and was shocked to find a brand new aircraft with no IFE. i guess they'll just focus on being 'friendly' since it's not quantifiable.

incidentally, the purser on our flight--who was fairly friendly, actually--had the worst english i've ever heard from a crew member on a domestic flight. it would be completely understandable on an asian airline, and i'd laud her speaking in a foreign tongue, but was unacceptable, imho, on an american one. she stumbled over and mispronounced words in the safety briefing--like 'exist' for 'exit', which at least provided some unintentional humor. since there's no IFE, her lack of english skills was highlighted by her reading of the safety briefing (and it sounded as if she was reading, with lots of stumbles and pauses, not doing it from memory).

all in all, the kind of experience on UA i've come to expect.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
I flew the airbus with the change from SNA to DEN and thos seats are awful. I told the FAs that I did not like the comfort on board anymore on the airbus and they agreed and have gotten a lot of negative feedback about the "new" seats. They were short and the padding was awful. It reminded me of Spirit. United was much better before this merger. The airbus seats used to be some of the best in the fleet! Maybe they can bring back Tilton! the only positive was the great service from the PMUA flight crew, and I did not have to request the can, they just gave it!
Old Jan 12, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Had my second flight, they are worse than the 737's! 4 hour flight was awful, at least wifi worked most of the time and allowed me to not remember the pain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.