Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:50 am

Just out of curiosity, how was this seating configuration not tested in the marketplace before spending so much on the investment of retrofitting?

I'm worried this airline is spending so much of their cash on hand on changes which will need to be changed.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
Just out of curiosity, how was this seating configuration not tested in the marketplace before spending so much on the investment of retrofitting?
Because they don't care.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
..."although we do plan to offer a limited range of complimentary content until we finalize these plans."

LIE...it's 8.99; nothing complimentary about that!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by boss315
..."although we do plan to offer a limited range of complimentary content until we finalize these plans."

LIE...it's 8.99; nothing complimentary about that!
The on-demand streaming video hasn't been added yet.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Cash is king, comfort be damned. Add'l row of pax + lower weight. Gotta fund the $misek Bonus Fund somehow since they can barely grow topline revenue.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:49 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm worried this airline is spending so much of their cash on hand on changes which will need to be changed.
Don't worry--UA's management is too pigheaded to change things which need to be changed. They'll stick with bad decisions no matter what (and if you object, you're "over-entitled," after all).

Originally Posted by fivevsone
The height of the seat bottom from the floor is lower than the normal Airbii, and a consequence of this is that your thighs are not parallel to the floor, instead, they angle up, and this is quite uncomfortable.
Ugh! My knees are developing arthritis just at the thought!

Seriously, though, the average Y seat is already rough on tall people--seat bottom too short, seat pitch awful, etc.--and now they're making it worse by lowering the seat closer to the floor?!

Originally Posted by fivevsone
Why they are 'selling' the 'more headroom' angle, when there are very few 9 foot tall folks flying,a nd needing the extra space i dont know...
Last time I hit my head on a plane was in a J41 in severe turbulence, I believe. Can't believe UA is promoting "more headroom"; it's not like the average mainline plane needed more space between the seat cushion and ceiling, even for folks 7' tall.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Got the new interior on EWR-ORD today in 7C. The seats are OK as long as you're sitting straight up and very into them. The seat bottoms seem much shorter and that makes any reclining or slouching painful after about an hour. I find them slightly better than WN's Devolve and much better than sCO 737s but a major downgrade from the great seats in the old Airbii interiors.

The aircraft I was on had no IFE even after shelling out $7 for the Wi-Fi. At least the Wi-Fi speed was pretty good, but I really wish UA would let us buy monthly Wi-Fi memberships for, say, $30 for their "valued" FFs that are flying often. Other airlines do this, why not UA?

With WN now supporting PreCheck and UA going to WN-like interiors & WN-like lack of entertainment, there's really nothing left to justify paying an extra $100 to fly UA vs. WN on my route. How's that for a change SMI/J will like?

Last edited by choatie88; Nov 15, 2013 at 6:02 pm
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:07 am

Ugh my first time in the new seats. Butt going to sleep and knees hurting already and we're still at the gate!
Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
Originally Posted by GregMM
I will say that the seat bottom padding was definitely not enough for SFO-BOS.
I am with you 100% on that! Less than an hour into the flight yesterday and I had decided these new seats were not so great.

Also can't believe zero IFE on these planes for a flight over 5 hours!
Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
Have to wonder how the wifi and power will handle a device at every seat? Will the streaming be via a buffering device on the plane or will each device talk direct to the satellite service?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 2:11 pm

Had paid F people next to me expecting IFE. They were mad when they learned that there was no IFE. They ended up staring at the wall or reading the magazine. Actually made me really uncomfortable when they just sat there. Lol
Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:43 pm

Several pax complained about the seats and the lack of IFE today. FA responded, "We're turning into the Greyhound of the skies."

FA did say they were getting streaming video at some point and that wifi was available, but then several pax said, "What about power?"

3.5 hour flight with a row to myself and I'm still sore in several spots.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
Several pax complained about the seats and the lack of IFE today. FA responded, "We're turning into the Greyhound of the skies."

FA did say they were getting streaming video at some point and that wifi was available, but then several pax said, "What about power?"

3.5 hour flight with a row to myself and I'm still sore in several spots.
Even greyhound has free WiFi and power.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
Are there plans to update A319s and A320s?

The interior of both of these aircraft on United are so old! They have overhead entertainment. I know I sound spoiled, and I guess I am. But flying on Delta for so long made me accustomed to AVOD.

Why does United only have AVOD/DirecTV on their Boeing aircraft?

Also, the 747 in coach has overhead entertainment only. That's the same stuff since the 1980s!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AeoNKiNG
The interior of both of these aircraft on United are so old! They have overhead entertainment. I know I sound spoiled, and I guess I am. But flying on Delta for so long made me accustomed to AVOD.

Why does United only have AVOD/DirecTV on their Boeing aircraft?

Also, the 747 in coach has overhead entertainment only. That's the same stuff since the 1980s!
There is a whole thread about the new "slimline" seats in these 319/320 planes. Search for slimline and you should find it.

Edit: Here it is

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nel-9-etc.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.