Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But for now that would be limited to above 10,000 feet. -- ^ for video view -- either cockpit or nose view.
Likely to be a long time before aircraft wifi below 10K.
Most of the best CH 9 conversations are below 10000 feet.

Originally Posted by sbm12
UA is behind in wifi deployment for all sorts of reasons, from decisions they made to the FAA changing rules. But that's not the same issue, really.
True enough. This is what happens when an airline's management doesn't really care about the customer after they've paid for their ticket.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.755 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

They can stream it. And they said they might. Odds of getting a live view in the cockpit are near nil for several reasons.

UA is behind in wifi deployment for all sorts of reasons, from decisions they made to the FAA changing rules. But that's not the same issue, really.
I cant speak for currently, although ANA used to show takeoffs and landings on the in-cabin video. Havent flown ANA in a while, but I did have noodles in the NRT lounge last night....
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
This is the key issue. United is already way behind in the wi-fi department so it is not just important, but vital to get wi-fi onboard as many domestic aircraft as quickly as possible, but look at what AA just did with their new A319s. Only 8 seats in F, like UA, but wi-fi and a cool IMS Rave system at each seat that could no doubt handle channel 9.
If I can get reliable wi-fi, I wouldn't mind losing CH.9.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
We won't be able to listen to our delay any longer?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by wildbill412007
I cant speak for currently, although ANA used to show takeoffs and landings on the in-cabin video. Havent flown ANA in a while, but I did have noodles in the NRT lounge last night....
Austrian and SAS did it as well, IIRC.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
Originally Posted by halls120
TK W/B A/C as well.

Originally Posted by kb1992
FAA is suppose to be relaxing WiFi restrictions on A/C soon. Going to leave it up to the airlines, but in-theory, there could be gate to gate wifi and with streaming 'you're in' adverts.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 6, 2013 at 2:07 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I think many question why it has to be an either or choice.
Yes. And the antiquated "Live TV" IFE is seen as an improvement? It's stale and clunky in the face of IMS systems and VX's RED.

I expect the real answer is removal of all free options for Y in favor of pay options, crappy as they may be will help Chicago inch towards the numbers that satisfy Wall Street.

Sigh, better than US, but only just.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Either I think AA (or UA?) used to do this back in the early 90s. I remember seeing the cockpit view on the overhead projectors.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by Channel9Fan
After two captains telling me that Channel 9 ATC will be eliminated on the entertainment system of United's Airbus fleet (320 and 319) I contacted management and it was confirmed. I am devastated by this news. They are adding WiFi and streaming video. I have listened to Channel 9 on every flight for years gate to gate. It will be hard to plan my trips without flying the Airbus but I will have to try. I have not been on a former Continental 737 that has it but I hear they will eventually. I am sure there are other UA flyers that will not like to hear this news. Let's hope enough people voice their displeasure regarding this decision and somehow they will reconsider.

I would imagine there are significant weight savings by removing IFE. Less and less people use the aircraft IFE these days and instead use laptops, ipads, etc. If decent inseat power and wifi is replacing domestic IFE then I am happy. Half the time the audio port on the seat is about useless anyway.

International wide body flights are a bit different and I would be upset to see decent IFE change there. Does the 747 still have the shared CRT?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Plenty of airlines have onboard cameras that show exterior views. But they're shown on PTVs, not streamed over WiFi. The issue is that WiFi streaming (for flights operating under FAA regulations at least) is prohibited under 10,000ft.

So there would be no issue in UA or any other US airline showing a view from an exterior camera over PTVs, they just couldn't stream the interesting parts (takeoffs and landings) over a WiFi-based system to passengers' devices.

Originally Posted by shttrdrvr
FAA is suppose to be relaxing WiFi restrictions on A/C soon. Going to leave it up to the airlines, but in-theory, there could be gate to gate wifi and with streaming 'you're in' adverts.
Not true at all. There is no planned change that would allow the use of WiFi below 10,000ft, or cellular data at any point in the flight. There is a planned change that would allow devices to be used in airplane mode below 10,000ft, just as they are allowed above this altitude today. Data connectivity would still be prohibited.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by uthornsgo:21562885
I'm probably in the minority but I would much rather be productive and get work done on wifi from gate to gate than listen to the pilots. This is way down the list of things I could complain about. My sympathies to those that value it.
+1. I would much rather work & use wifi too. However the wifi on the birds I've flown lacked operability.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
+1. I would much rather work & use wifi too. However the wifi on the birds I've flown lacked operability.
I'd rather be able to listen to Ch 9 at takeoff and landing, and work once we get above 10000 feet.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Million miler
+1 Halls. There are times that Channel 9 is the only way we pax learn what's going on when the plane just sits.... and we wait for the Captain to tell us something... and wait... Channel 9 to the rescue. But after 10K ft, I opt for productivity.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 2:02 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
This is what happens when an airline's management doesn't really care about the customer after they've paid for their ticket.
Welcome to The New World Order of COdbaUA and all hail King Jeffie the 1st

Originally Posted by kb1992
Which should be free in premium cabins* but we all know that "free" is a 4 letter word at COdbaUA

*if there was a way to do it-perhaps by assigning a code based on seat assignment (I have no idea-just throwing it out there)

Originally Posted by LornaV
+1 Halls. There are times that Channel 9 is the only way we pax learn what's going on when the plane just sits.... and we wait for the Captain to tell us something... and wait... Channel 9 to the rescue. But after 10K ft, I opt for productivity.
Plus for me, if I hear reports of turbulence ahead, I'll give my seat belt a little pull and hold my drink over the aisle
Old Oct 6, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by LornaV
I agree with this. One time during a snow storm while en route from ORD to YYZ we were re-routed to BUF where we sat until YYZ opened up. On Ch. 9 ATC advised "fire her up - YYZ just opened up" and about 25% of the plane cheered.

I enjoy Ch. 9. I must admit over the years I've a learned a lot. For two years I commuted weekly between YVR and ATL. From YVR to ORD I would learn from other planes that were ahead of us within our sector that the seat belt sign would be coming on soon so I would hit the Lavs before it impacted us!

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.