Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dw
I was also under the impression that AA is installing these seats on their new A319s, but if you actually take a look at pictures of the new cabin, they don't actually LOOK as uncomfortable (seem to have a bit more padding). But at the same time, I haven't heard any feedback either way yet on the new AA seats.

http://boardingarea.com/aadvantagege...airlines-a319/
Its amazing, AA can start service on a brand new airplane with IFE but UA can't.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lax2010
Row 7 used to be my favorite for my red-eye transcon but the LAX-ORD red-eye on row 7 with one of these new seats was killing me! What is wrong with the new UA and what was wrong with the old seats!?
Yeah, I love(d) row 7 too...it was brutal on the new seats. Do we know if the bulkhead/exit rows have shorter cushions than the other rows?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by halls120
If they are installing the same seats, then they suck as well.
While the seats will (probably) be the same [No reports yet from people actually riding on them], the rest of the package will be different. Per the WSJ:

"The Airbus A319 will offer customers modern technology and increased comfort onboard, including leather seats, Wi-Fi and in-seat entertainment throughout the aircraft. In addition, customers will be able to stay connected throughout their travels with individual universal power outlets and USB jacks at every seat. "

"The Airbus A319 will offer a wide selection of inflight entertainment options for customers throughout the aircraft. First Class customers will enjoy a complimentary selection of up to 200 movies, up to 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections and up to 15 games, on a 12.1-inch HD-capable touchscreen monitor at each seat. Each seat throughout the Main Cabin will offer 8.9-inch HD-capable touchscreen monitors with an assortment of entertainment options, including movies, TV programs, games and audio selections."

Somehow I think the IFE on the big HD screen, the leather seats, the inseat power at every seat, and the wifi will compensate, and the focus will not be the seat. Unlike on UAL sitting on the hard seat in a dark A/C staring at the hard plastic in front of you...
Old Sep 9, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by spin88
"The Airbus A319 will offer customers modern technology and increased comfort onboard, including leather seats, Wi-Fi and in-seat entertainment throughout the aircraft. In addition, customers will be able to stay connected throughout their travels with individual universal power outlets and USB jacks at every seat. "
Worth noting, substantially all of the content available in Y on the AA 319 is paid. The fact that UA is gravitating toward an all-paid IFE solution is a frequent source of gripes.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
Worth noting, substantially all of the content available in Y on the AA 319 is paid. The fact that UA is gravitating toward an all-paid IFE solution is a frequent source of gripes.
Most, but not all, is the operative term, however. I'm willing to bet that at a minimum, AA will offer complimentary audio selection, plus having some video programming.

Contrast that to UA, where between the Airbuses and the 73s, if you're not willing to pay (or are in First), you get absolutely nothing for free - not even a map or audio.

And, for those who claim that people bring their own devices, not everyone has tons of audio downloads. At a minimum, the audio can at least to help tune out others in the cabin. Yet, clearly monetization and cost reduction is more important to UA than customer satisfaction.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by pagotto
Most, but not all, is the operative term, however. I'm willing to bet that at a minimum, AA will offer complimentary audio selection, plus having some video programming.

Contrast that to UA, where between the Airbuses and the 73s, if you're not willing to pay (or are in First), you get absolutely nothing for free - not even a map or audio.

And, for those who claim that people bring their own devices, not everyone has tons of audio downloads. At a minimum, the audio can at least to help tune out others in the cabin. Yet, clearly monetization and cost reduction is more important to UA than customer satisfaction.
I'm not sure if you get anything for free (besides possibly food + bigger seats) in F on these converted Airbii's.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
While the seats will (probably) be the same [No reports yet from people actually riding on them], the rest of the package will be different. Per the WSJ:

"The Airbus A319 will offer a wide selection of inflight entertainment options for customers throughout the aircraft. First Class customers will enjoy a complimentary selection of up to 200 movies, up to 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections and up to 15 games, on a 12.1-inch HD-capable touchscreen monitor at each seat. Each seat throughout the Main Cabin will offer 8.9-inch HD-capable touchscreen monitors with an assortment of entertainment options, including movies, TV programs, games and audio selections."

Somehow I think the IFE on the big HD screen, the leather seats, the inseat power at every seat, and the wifi will compensate, and the focus will not be the seat. Unlike on UAL sitting on the hard seat in a dark A/C staring at the hard plastic in front of you...
+1
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Hey, maybe they'll elect for a higher level of the comfort package for all we know. Have you sat in them for any extended period of time? They stink.
There's only one comfort package.

I'm not really a fan of these seats. I just flew IAD-IAH on a newly reconfigured A320 and by the second hour, my backside was numb.

They are the same seat. AS is also installing them on their 737 fleet.

I guess it's OK if AA does it. The "hard seat" is still a hard seat. So many AA apologists here (oooh, the tides have turned!).
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1k 2.2 MM
unbelievable.

Flew the new seats last night on an A320 ORD/DEN. From reading here I sensed I wouldn't be too excited. Understatement. I'm 6'1" and these are spectacularly uncomfortable. Literally worse than the occasional bus I ride on. Poor recline, and short seat pad gives minimal thigh support. Never thought I'd say I prefer a 737 coach seat over the Airbus. Once again, Jeff overwhelms with changes we're not gonna like.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bcharn
unbelievable.

Flew the new seats last night on an A320 ORD/DEN. From reading here I sensed I wouldn't be too excited. Understatement. I'm 6'1" and these are spectacularly uncomfortable. Literally worse than the occasional bus I ride on. Poor recline, and short seat pad gives minimal thigh support. Never thought I'd say I prefer a 737 coach seat over the Airbus. Once again, Jeff overwhelms with changes we're not gonna like.
My thoughts exactly - more scary is that I was on a ~700 mile flight, and you were on a ~900 mile one. These suckers will be on transcons. Wow.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
I had the, um, pleasure, of riding outbound last week IAD-SFO on one of the newly configured 320's and home on the old one, in the same seat- 21D exit row.

The only plus on the new one was wifi,though at $12.99, it is not a great deal given the speed and the fact that we lost is for over 20 minutes midflight. No IFE, no power, and a seat that was not very comfortable. The legroom was ok in the exit row, but on the way home the old seat pitch seemed better.

I felt bad for the FA's who were juggling bags of props for the safety demos since it had to be live. The FA closest to me kept signing and saying she was "tool old to have them keep changing things."

Overall, I thought that while wifi was nice, the new seats were a terrible downgrade. Most of the passengers around me kept asking where the screens and headphone jacks were.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I have an upcoming 2.5 hour flight on one of these reconfigured busses. Are there any pro's/con's for row 7 versus 20 or 21?
Do row 20 aisle seats recline at all?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:39 pm

I'm just catching up on this thread and distressed to read the endless horrible reports describing how awful the seats are.

Question: We were told that UA was opting for a "better" version of the standard Recaro seats. I thought that meant, for example, that they'd be better than the Recaro that LH uses in Europe for 1-3 hour flights. I'm familiar with those seats and have never had a complaint about them.

Is it the case that UA's seats are worse than, the same as, or better than the seats that LH uses for short-haul in Europe?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I'm just catching up on this thread and distressed to read the endless horrible reports describing how awful the seats are.

Question: We were told that UA was opting for a "better" version of the standard Recaro seats. I thought that meant, for example, that they'd be better than the Recaro that LH uses in Europe for 1-3 hour flights. I'm familiar with those seats and have never had a complaint about them.

Is it the case that UA's seats are worse than, the same as, or better than the seats that LH uses for short-haul in Europe?
Better. Sam exact seat, more cushion.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sulley
Better. Sam exact seat, more cushion.
Those seats have never bothered me in Europe but I've also never sat in one for more than 3 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.