Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flymd
No matter how you spin things, this is a downgrade!
Disagree. Lost of video IFE is IMO a upgrade. Less distraction as I read the book I brought on board. I'm in the minority here I realize.

Seats are unquestionably a downgrade.

Originally Posted by flymd
I really don't see the difference now between domestic UA and the likes of WN. WN actually provides a better product!
UA WN
Bags Pay (unless you have status) Free for the first two
Snacks Pay Free
Audio (free) None None
Video (free) None None
Wifi At cost At cost
Aircraft LOTS of regional jets All mainline type aircraft

How the mighty have fallen and seemingly continue to willingly embrace that free fall!
I'll add one more: the one that matters to me.

Flights to all the places I need to go:
UA: Sure - even if it is an RJ
WN: Nope.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: UAMP Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bse118
Disagree. Lost of video IFE is IMO a upgrade. Less distraction as I read the book I brought on board. I'm in the minority here I realize.

You probably are in the minority there but to each his or her own. I don't think however that it can be argued though that removing a service (especially a free service) and replacing it with a service that all passengers may not be able to access and a service that comes with a charge for those that can access it as being anything but a downgrade. There are probably as many preferences when it comes to in-flight activity of choice as there are passengers. Some like to read, so like to play cards, some like to sleep, some like to watch their own devices, some like to watch movies/AVOD, etc..... Why not cater to as many passengers as possible however? There was a time when the only option in-flight was to read or sleep or gaze out of the window. We now have more possibilities so why regress? I was really disappointed years ago when United refreshed their 747 fleet and basically ignored coach (I know, I know that put in LCD monitors, etc...) all in the name of $. I saw that move as basically them saying if you travel in coach "you are not improtant enough to invest in but we still want you to spend your money with us" This is actually a bit worse because instead of not meeting international standard and adding IFE, they are now actually removing it in the name of $. Again the bottom line trumps ensuring a good customer experience and that makes it hard for me to want to spend my money on UA.

Seats are unquestionably a downgrade.

I'll add one more: the one that matters to me.

Flights to all the places I need to go:
UA: Sure - even if it is an RJ
WN: Nope.
I actually detest WN and avoid them whenever possible (just my preference) so I am not a WN cheerleader and if WN does not work for you it doesnt work for you. My real point was that UA is cheapening their product to the point that they are eclipsed by an "LCC" (though calling them an LCC could also be argued). What is driving me crazy is constantly flying United Express ERJ-145's, CRJ-700's and even E-170s on routes like ORD-DFW, ORD-ATL, ORD-MCI, ORD-MIA, ORD-LGA, ORD-BOS, etc.... If I'm going to SDF or MSN or SPI then an RJ is an upgrade to what flew these routes 10-20 years ago. But from a major hub and base (ORD) to a major U.S. markets, its getting really old.

I was so excited about the merger when it was first announced and the reality of it has been an utter disappointment:

-Proliferation of United Express to what were once mainline markets (and for many carriers still are mainline markets).
-Frequently higher fares (UA is regularly WAYYYY higher than DL and AA for recent flights I've booked well in advance i.e. ORD-LGA, ORD-SXM)
-Unhappy and fragmented work force
-SHAREs computer system
-A future of domestic flying with no free IFE (video, audio or otherwise) and questionable survival of Channel 9.
-Addition of spending requirements to Mileage Plus status requirements which makes flying Star Alliance carriers much more difficult. And honestly, Star Alliance (versus Sky Team or One World) was one of United's biggest draws for me.
-Upgrade lists regularly 40+ passengers long (which the addition of spending requirements will hopefully help)

I'm just getting UA weary!

I find myself finding more and more reasons to join my brother on the dark side of AA! We've been a UA family since the 70's and that is just a hard move for my heart to make. My heart says no while my brain says go!!!!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Don't people look at other options even when it's free? Common sense tells you that airport restaurants have better food than what's served for free in domestic F (not surprising given their facilities), the cost is negligible compared to the cost of the ticket in the first place, so buying food in the airport is a pretty logical thing to do if you have time. Are there people who don't do that just because the meal on board is "free"? It seems a false economy.
I fly F all the time, and the percentage that bring their own meals is small. In fact on DL (where the food in F is good) I can't ever recall seeing it, nor on the OLD CO (2001-2005) do I recall it either. I do see it on UA NOW, but that is because UA food is NOW disgusting, or does not exist at all.

e.g. I was on the 6:33 pm SEA-SFO last night, I bought a salid as I knew UA would not feed me. I usually take the AS flight, and they give you food at this time in F, but AS has been much, much more expensive on the SFO-SEA route recently, so was on UA.

Food quality is important, as the competition is kicking their butts, and once people try a real airline's F service, its sort of hard to be happy with the lowest common denominator UA approach.

Originally Posted by BearX220
Very often not -- that's the difference between loyalists and Kayakers. UA is creating a steady drumbeat of discouragements to loyal behavior which propel more and more once-steady customers into the consideration pool. They see what else is out there. They discover free IFE and more legroom on JetBlue, or more pervasive wifi on DL. They give the competition a try. Some never come back. UA has to acquire new customers to replace them, at considerable expense.

Slumping PRASM has a hundred minor culprits.
100% correct, except UA is not "acquiring new customers" to replace those who have left, and the only "expense" I know of that they are paying is making further outsized concessions to corporate accounts.

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
OK. I guess I just don't believe people are as clueless and stupid as you do. I think they are mostly making the choices they make for good reasons that have to do with their own personal preferences. Not ignorance and laziness.
Actually, you are wrong. The social science research is quite clear that people have way too many choices, and too little time, they follow patterns as a result. I search all airlines, it takes time. Ditto hotels, etc. I don't have time. So 2007-2011 UA served me well, I booked them. Only reason I every looked around was when they did not fly where I needed to go when I needed to be there. Now I kayak, it takes time, I would prefer it if UA met my needs, it does not, so I look around.

Originally Posted by JDS747
Reread the first post in this thread from UAInsider. Simple answer is Yes, 110v outlets will be installed on the Airbuses and the 747s.
Yeh right, you believe this? If so I have a bridge to sell you... cheap. The CO management also promise they were keeping CH 9 and adding it to CO planes, and that has so happened...

Originally Posted by B787938
I have read the first post here from UA Insider and heard the company line around power in Y in the 744s in that power will installed nose to tail in 2013. It is now August and none of the 23 744s have power.
Another good example, why believe anything from this Management on future plans? If they wanted to add power, they could have added it, they did not.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by spin88
I search all airlines, it takes time.
No, it doesn't. It's easier to find the UA flights I want (or any other airline) by searching all airlines with Matrix than by searching through united.com. It's the nature of the modern world, searching is getting easier and easier. No one is going to prosper with a business model that's built around, sure, there are better choices out there, but we hope people don't bother to look for them.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Hartmann
Ok, but you're saying you didn't notice a difference in the seat when in fact they are very different, even if you don't find them uncomfortable. They look different, they have different armrests, they have smaller tray tables, etc. There are differences, even on a 2 hour flight.

If you didn't find them uncomfortable on that two hour flight, then ok, thank you for sharing that opinion.
Sorry for the confusion - I meant I noticed no difference in the comfort. The actual physical seat, color, armrests, tray, etc. is differet of course.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by B787938
Quote:

Originally Posted by JDS747

Reread the first post in this thread from UAInsider. Simple answer is Yes, 110v outlets will be installed on the Airbuses and the 747s.

I have read the first post here from UA Insider and heard the company line around power in Y in the 744s in that power will installed nose to tail in 2013. It is now August and none of the 23 744s have power.
None of the 744 have free IFE streaming either TMK. A few have Wi Fi.

And people complained about PMUA being slow

In fairness, the promise of power in Airbii is only beginning 2014. But in a brain dead fashion they are only installing it in E+ not all if Y.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA GS
Defeatured A320

UA 577 this morning on A320
No more screens
No more music
No more channel 9
But it had fresh headsets in the FC back pockets.

It had Wifi, but no streaming entertainment which I thought would replace screens one day.

Oh and it had the Jeff McMuffin

But at least the flight had a great purser
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Any thoughts on the seat comfort? How long was your flight?

(I'm guessing you may have been in F though )
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:54 pm

This is a change you'll like

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nel-9-etc.html
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is why one should have a tablet w/ all entertainment options loaded on non-AVOD equipped a/c. And even for insurance if AVOD not working.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Any thoughts on the seat comfort? How long was your flight?

(I'm guessing you may have been in F though )
The seats (at least in FC) were the same.
And I had my iPad loaded :-)
But that UAInsider post clearly states that screen removal and streaming entertainment happen at the same time. He said " the planes won't go dark"
Blatant lie

And why they put headsets in the back pockets is beyond me

Last edited by Plane-is-home; Aug 9, 2013 at 1:15 pm
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This is why one should have a tablet w/ all entertainment options loaded on non-AVOD equipped a/c. And even for insurance if AVOD not working.
^^ I load better movie choices as well!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
But that UAInsider post clearly states that screen removal and streaming entertainment happen at the same time. He said " the planes won't go dark"
Blatant lie

Interesting. I guess technically it wasn't dark, due to the wifi. Did you use it? If so, what was the charge for YYC-DEN and how was the speed?

Also of note, the flight is listed as having wi-fi, overhead screens and Channel 9, so it's important to note that relying on the flight amenities info. from the website isn't so reliable...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Blatant lie
No, he said the planes would have WiFi when the dropdown monitors are removed. I wouldn't miss their entertainment, as I didn't watch it before; trading it for WiFi is a big win.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Blatant lie

Aaron's post says: "However, these aircraft won’t “go dark”—Wi-Fi will be available on all aircraft that have the new seats."

If you go back and reread Aaron's post it isn't clearly stated that screen removal and streaming will happen at the same time. I read it to say "they won't go dark because they will have wifi (if it's working and you want to pay for it), and sometime in the future (who knows when that will be) they will have streaming entertainment."

The only aircraft that he's given a somewhat definitive statement on which planes will have the streaming entertainment and when is the new domestic 777 configuration. For the update on those he said something to the effect that they will be the first in the fleet to have it turned on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.