Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Wonder if the AVOD in Y will be complimentary on the new AA aircraft. From the wording in the release, where they specifically refer to complimentary inflight entertainment when talking about F, but complimentary not there when referring to entertainment in Y, I'm wondering if it will require a CC swipe in the back.
Probably ... we shall find out when they start flying in a few weeks.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Tablets and personal entertainment devices are not as prevalent as some here seem to think. I think they are going to find people don't want to pay for the streaming about as much as people do not want to pay for DirectTV.
I think UAs data on DirectTV showed them how many people were willing to pay for a selection 8 movies and a hundred or so TV shows including live sports. Not many.

Add this to the view on the domestic market that people are unwilling to pay more for a better inflight product in their base fare - free checked baggage, food, more room throughout coach (MRTC), etc, and we have the conclusion that ubiquitous in-flight entertainment is on the way out for domestic flights. The question is what's the best way to monetize something that the vast majority of your customers don't want to pay for and the rest only want if it's free but doesn't drive carrier preference.

I think wifi entertainment is going to be an interesting experiment. I don't want to accuse UA of being forward thinking but I do think they might be depending on more people having tablets and such in the future. Maybe people will even be able to buy them onboard or rent them at the airport at the soon-to-be-defunct portable DVD rental places. (do those guys exist anymore?)

Minus: the poor flight attendants will have to do the seat belt and life vest dance all the time
Plus: we don't have to see Mr. Smisek spin the truth on our video monitors
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
It'll be interesting to see how IFE shakes out over the next few years as airlines have so many different approaches now - AS going like UA with streaming wifi, WN offering free streaming for now, AA/DL with AVOD. Wasn't CO initially going to install AVOD in the 737/757 domestic fleet but LiveTV offered a sweeter deal?

Honestly, I think AA is going to have the best IFE in the (domestic) sky even if the AVOD is for-pay, with power ports and wifi as alternates. The way DL/VX does it is also great, with a limited free selection and plenty of paid options as well.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
Had a chance to fly with the new seats recently and they are fine. No different than the old ones. I am 6'2 and I fit fine. In fact, it felt roomier.
If you didn't notice any difference in the actual seat, then I have my doubts you were on the one reconfigured Airbus.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by lensman
Plus: we don't have to see Mr. Smisek spin the truth on our video monitors
I wouldn't add this as a plus just yet...they may add his mandatory commerical when you log into the streaming content...more like a poke in the eye cuz you thought you saw the last of Jeffrey
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Halo117
I wouldn't add this as a plus just yet...they may add his mandatory commerical when you log into the streaming content...more like a poke in the eye cuz you thought you saw the last of Jeffrey
And if you watch him 4 times in a row you get free streaming for 5 minutes.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Hartmann
If you didn't notice any difference in the actual seat, then I have my doubts you were on the one reconfigured Airbus.
I was. New seats, no drop down monitors, etc. I honestly didn't notice a difference. Granted it was a 2 hour flight and not a longer one.

I was just sharing my data point.

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
were you in E or E+? Did you open up a laptop? If so, what size?
Sorry! Just saw this post. I was in E+. Row 12. I didn't open a laptop.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
What was your routing? A 90 minute flight may have different outcomes than a transcon.
It was a 2 hour flight. Definitely not a long transcon. If it was, my results might have been different. Just offering a data point.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 17, 2013 at 6:08 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
I was. New seats, no drop down monitors, etc. I honestly didn't notice a difference. Granted it was a 2 hour flight and not a longer one.
Ok, but you're saying you didn't notice a difference in the seat when in fact they are very different, even if you don't find them uncomfortable. They look different, they have different armrests, they have smaller tray tables, etc. There are differences, even on a 2 hour flight.

If you didn't find them uncomfortable on that two hour flight, then ok, thank you for sharing that opinion.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Ok, but you're saying you didn't notice a difference in the seat when in fact they are very different
I think this is a misinterpretation. I took his statement to be that there was no difference in comfort. Not that there was no difference at all in the seats---of course there is.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

N455UA, which I'm on this morning, has the new seats. My added observation is that the seatback pocket is too small to fit anything larger than an iPad mini or Kindle.

If they made the seat bottoms longer (out toward your knees) and made the armrests a little bit larger it would be a huge improvement. The underseat storage is a bit smaller as well. I didn't notice this on my first flight because I only had a rollaboard.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

N455UA, which I'm on this morning, has the new seats. My added observation is that the seatback pocket is too small to fit anything larger than an iPad mini or Kindle.
Which was no doubt intentional. Who needs storage space on a 5 hour transcon anyway?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
Which was no doubt intentional. Who needs storage space on a 5 hour transcon anyway?
I don't know if it was intentional, I kind of doubt it. I'm guessing Recaro doesn't offer many (if any) seatback pocket configurations.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't know if it was intentional, I kind of doubt it. I'm guessing Recaro doesn't offer many (if any) seatback pocket configurations.
United chose a seat with limited seatback storage. I don't see how that decision could have been anything but intentional.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
My added observation is that the seatback pocket is too small to fit anything larger than an iPad mini or Kindle.
Seeing as seatback pockets aren't certified to hold laptops for takeoff/landing I wonder if this was a design evolution to prevent people from doing it anyway.

Originally Posted by halls120
United chose a seat with limited seatback storage. I don't see how that decision could have been anything but intentional.
Are you insinuating that seat back pocket storage space should take a dominant place in the decision making process over performance economics, comfort, and overall functionality?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belynch
Seeing as seatback pockets aren't certified to hold laptops for takeoff/landing I wonder if this was a design evolution to prevent people from doing it anyway.
My biggest issue is that I like to use the seatback pocket to hold my empty cup and maybe an iPad and the pocket can barely do that.

It may have been part of the design evolution, heck, LH may have insisted on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.