Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

American introduces more elite incentives and bennies. Will UA respond... this time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American introduces more elite incentives and bennies. Will UA respond... this time?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Sorry if this was covered, but does this promotion also apply to flights booked on US Airways...or not until they fully integrate.
No . . . the programs won't be merged until after the two airlines receive approval for their merger from DOT, DOJ, and perhaps others, and then integrate the two FF programs. Unlikely to happen before sometime in 2014.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 787fan
I think we're a bit OT here, but for your scenario, you can choose these other Star options

OZ : JFK-ICN (soon to be new OZ First Suites)
UA : EWR-NRT-ICN
NH : JFK-NRT-ICN (new 77W)
CA : JFK-PEK-ICN/GMP (new 77W)

And that's on top of all the NorthAmerican-ICN flights offered by UA, AC, and OZ. Every single option listed here have true flat bed on the TPAC segment. I'm sure one of those would be more attractive than 6am out of NYC.
But the OP cannout use his SWU/EVIPs on ALL the option you have just mentioned above. Hence the OP would love a US metal plane with a decent time slot to leave NYC-xxx-ICN and SHOWER!!!

Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
IMO it's United goal to thin the ranks of Elites. It has nothing to do with over entitled or any other such non sense. UA seems to feel they have to many Elites that are not high value customers. Their actions of the past year seem to indicate I'm right. If this is the case I don't think we can expect anything extra to either prop up EQM's.

however, threshold bonuses are a nice way of rewarding people for reaching certain milestones & it costs UA almost nothing. It's ridiculous that they give us no incentives to fly with UA at all any longer...
I mostly agree with you; however I might disagree in the sense that I don't think what UA is/is not doing with elite benefits is necessarily wrong or foolish.

One way to look at this, AA is still doing things the old way (from a marketing perspective) by rewarding loyalty based on miles flown. A new school of thought, first adopted by WN and now DL, is to add $ spend to the loyalty equation. Which one is the right way to go? Smisek has demonstrated that he is no trailblazer in anything, so I personally don't expect to see any significant response from MP until we have some time to digest DL's switch to their new program rules next year.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by unavaca
Sorry for the inaccuracy. Wikipedia lied to me

We are now a nation of lazy odd-logs. All you could have done was head over to UA.com or AA.com to find out.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by andyh64000
Man...how I wish American flew direct to Asia from SEA.
More like "Man...how I wish American cared about Asia."

LAX-NRT and LAX-PVG as the only West Coast routes to Asia tells me they're not serious about West Coast customers. UA over AA any day of the week.

Originally Posted by NYC1K

We are now a nation of lazy odd-logs. All you could have done was head over to UA.com or AA.com to find out.
Cool, it's good to know that I'm lazy. I, too, enjoy looking at route maps instead of nicely tabulated information
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by unavaca
LAX-NRT and LAX-PVG as the only West Coast routes to Asia tells me they're not serious about West Coast customers. UA over AA any day of the week.
Personally, I'd take CX, SQ, KE, NH, JL or OZ First over the J+ "First Class" Asia service offered by either UA or AA.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Personally, I'd take CX, SQ, KE, NH, JL or OZ First over the J+ "First Class" Asia service offered by either UA or AA.
Which is great if you can fly paid C of F and are not reliant upon SWU/GPUs.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by andyh64000
Which is great if you can fly paid C of F and are not reliant upon SWU/GPUs.
+1. As a freeloader who depends on W fares and SWUs, the Asian carriers are only interesting if you're paying for C/F or booking award tickets.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Darlox
I think this might miss the whole point of AA's move. I strongly doubt they launched this as a strategic lure for HVFs. This is marketing. You create a perceived low-barrier to get something nice in return. You build a habit. "Well gee... I made 25k, but now my Boss wants me to fly to Sao Paulo, and if I go on vacation with my wife in October, I'll hit 40k and get this bonus!"

There's only a small number of people -- mostly hanging out on FT -- that are willing to fly needless miles to make status. If your flying pattern is going to get you close to the threshold, this is incentive to book AA. And then, they hope, that you'll stay... which is likely to happen in a lot of cases.

Compared to UA where there's nothing at 25k that you can't get with a credit card, and little or nothing at 50k that you can't get with a slightly more expensive credit card, or ToD-type incremental buy-ups day-of.

I really HOPE that UA is seeing financial benefit from the "Premier Access" buy-ups, because god knows they've gutted any kind of loyalty mentality < 50k/year. My own WIFE does her business travel on WN now, because she has no incentive to fly UA when she's not traveling with me.
I think we're actually saying the same thing. I agree that this isn't a way to lure HVFs from competitors. It's also not a way to get people to take "needless" flights just to hit a threshold.

It's a way to make sure people stay loyal to AA when they have a flight to take, because now the next threshold isn't as far off as it used to be.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
One way to look at this, AA is still doing things the old way (from a marketing perspective) by rewarding loyalty based on miles flown.
Are you familiar with qualifying with points instead of miles at AA? If you're a high revenue flyer in paid F, you'll make EXP much quicker with that route than with miles.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by tom911
Are you familiar with qualifying with points instead of miles at AA?
If this is intended to be some sort of newsflash, then I'll add, for those people who might not be aware, that UA and DL have similar systems for awarding full-Y and F paying customers, and they've had them for years.

But seriously, my point in the previous post is strictly focused on the current promotion incentivizing frequent flyers based on flown miles. As many of us PMUA people were immediately reminded of Elite Choice, there is little new about this promotion. I'm not saying that old means bad and that only the new can be good, but when speculating what UA's response might be, I believe that Smisek, in his lack-of-a-clear-vision style of managing this airline, would follow a different leader, DL, which will begin their $ spend (okay, I was lazy with my words -- actual $ spend) requirement next year.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:23 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
UA will answer this and offer an elite choice almost certainly IMO. What that ends up being is anyone's guess. However i can see them offering meager tokens such as 10k RDM's at 75k level or sponsor a premier associate at the 1k level etc.

I wouldn't count on the flood of SWU's that AA seems to shelling out. Overall we will be disappointed I'm sure, but I'm fairly certain they will entertain us with something.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:09 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by schley
I wouldn't count on the flood of SWU's that AA seems to shelling out. Overall we will be disappointed I'm sure, but I'm fairly certain they will entertain us with something.
Such as??? 2 SMI/J's signature pictures at 75k?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by 787fan
come to think of it, UA doesn't need to respond at all

UA already has 4 tiers of elite, with additional RPUs/GPUs every 25/50K past 100K (unlimited earning), and actual tangible benefits for high spenders (GS, not some fluffy Concierge Key)

The only difference between AA's new elite rewards and UA's existing program is the bonus offered at 40K.
So, for my extra 125-150k EQM that I will fly after 1k, guide me. Would you recommend I collect...

1) 4-6 additional United GPUs (depending on whether I hit 250k total) and 10-12 additional RPUs (which are useless. Almost all of my trips are international, burning either a GPU or miles+copay, so domestically are clearable at booking).

2) Highest published status on either Delta or AA, ensuring I have more choice to play airlines off of each other in the future. I should note that I am also MSP based, so UA is not exactly the most convenient....

For the second year in a row, I will hit 1k in May, and will be faced with a decision. It's almost a bit offensive that UA only gives me 4 GPUs for the 2nd 100k miles vs 6 for the 1st. Seems like it should work in the opposite direction. Also, despite the rediculous miles, I am not GS, because by either buying W fares and using a GPU or by buying whatever fare, paying typically ~$500 and using 30k of my own miles, apparently I am just a Leech on the underbelly of United, not worthy of any additional status for 125-150k more BIS miles.
Originally Posted by feobrien
I flew over 230,000 miles on UA last year. My reward was being downgraded from Global Services to 1K (which I am a lifetime 1K member). That's the type of special rewards we can expect from UA.
Apparently I am not alone...

Originally Posted by pigx5
Such as??? 2 SMI/J's signature pictures at 75k?
Some additional possibilities...

1) Blue rays of the complete collection of smi/j welcome videos.

2) A poster sized map of the route map.

3) No PNR autosplitting.

4) One free premium wine certificate for United Club* (* Entrance to united club not included).

5) One opportunity to awkwardly push your way through the premier line and board before paid First with the GS and military (actually helpful if you are one of the often 80-100+ in group 1 on a transpac).

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 25, 2013 at 6:38 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by schley
UA will answer this and offer an elite choice almost certainly IMO. What that ends up being is anyone's guess. However i can see them offering meager tokens such as 10k RDM's at 75k level or sponsor a premier associate at the 1k level etc.

Not so sure - even with the release of quite poor Q1 results today, the hubris of "route network and 787" attitude continues to linger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.