Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

American introduces more elite incentives and bennies. Will UA respond... this time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American introduces more elite incentives and bennies. Will UA respond... this time?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
All these extras will be meaningless when the flood of US elites hits the proverbial AA fan jets
Worse is when Dougie takes over and guts it all just as Jeff did with UA, so AA folks enjoy while you can it wont be around for long. Dont see UA matching no real need at this time of the year. Theres not enough being offered to someone who hasnt already started racking up AA EQMs
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
starting at 75Kand up, you can get more SWUs or more miles or ability to nominate another for a status level or .... -- those are meaningless to you
As I said, the only meaningful (to me) perk is the free club access. But I fly a lot.

Nobody is about to change carriers in May to try to achieve those milestones.

Methinks this is to try to keep their own elites to stay put because of the merger.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
PMUA's great Elite Choice program was never about getting you to change carriers - it was to give you something to shoot for as an interim step before the next status level. So a 25K flyer may never hit 50, but a nice bonus perk at 35K/40K might get them to stay with the airline over giving a few flights to OAL.

Of course, doubt we'll ever see anything this creative with this regime.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: VAG
As I said, the only meaningful (to me) perk is the free club access. But I fly a lot.

Methinks this is to try to keep their own elites to stay put because of the merger.
So you're not even interested in getting tens of thousands of free bonus miles?

You don't have any friends who might like some free Platinum status?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Ummm

I'd rather have CPUs than having to collect 500 mile upgrade coupons and the like.
The AA promotion is totally meaningless (because UA Elites have the CPUs, and at those levels the RDUs and GDUs) other than maybe the free club membership at 125K or 130 segs (but you would have to give up the RDUs and GDUs)
oh...right...as a EXP on AA, I get "CPU" between JFK-LAX/SFO and I don't even need to use RPU. Plus, as a UA 1K, most of time your upgrade will be at gate.
You may buy food and then figure out you get upgraded or you gamble to not to buy food but you don't get upgraded. As a EXP on AA, I don't need to worry
about this. If I don't get upgraded, I have free food and wine in Y.
oh.....If you really know about your carrier, COdbaUA, it's RPUs and GPUs not RDUs and GDUs.
Also, GPUs require W fare and gambling while eVIPs don't.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by Jorgen

a. 40K miles do not go that far, if you accumulate 400K a year. (as I said, I like the free club membership)

b. The more friends one gives free status the more rear ends he/she has to compete with for CPUs. Plus I suspect that ebay will have a heyday with that promotion
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jorgen

I gave MsHalls120 premier associate status one year. It was a nice gesture and was definitely a benefit for those rare times she flew on business.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pigx5
oh...right...as a EXP on AA, I get "CPU" between JFK-LAX/SFO and I don't even need to use RPU. Plus, as a UA 1K, most of time your upgrade will be at gate.
You may buy food and then figure out you get upgraded or you gamble to not to buy food but you don't get upgraded. As a EXP on AA, I don't need to worry
about this. If I don't get upgraded, I have free food and wine in Y.
oh.....If you really know about your carrier, COdbaUA, it's RPUs and GPUs not RDUs and GDUs.
Also, GPUs require W fare and gambling while eVIPs don't.
There you go spoiling a good rant with the facts.

(as I said, I like the free club membership)
You mean the same UC access I get with my status matched EK *G?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 23, 2013 at 6:38 pm Reason: multi-quote should be used
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
AA has some great, tangible benefits here, but let's not pretend that UA does not have any measure of rewarding continuing loyalty. For the 150-200k FFer, UA already offers additional RPU/GPUs (2 RPU per 25k pqm, 2 GPU per 50k eqm, unlimited), plus fee-waived Global Entry at the 75k tier.

AA is certainly more flexible, but I think UA offers a competitive product, especially at the upper limits. The 200k+ FFer at UA will finish with 10+ GPUs, 10+ RPUs and GE fee waived as a matter of right, while the 200k+'er at AA will have something like the following:

- 15 SWU + 10k miles
- 9 SWU + AC + gift Plat + 10k miles
- 11 SWU + GE + 10k miles

or some combination thereof, but after 150k, that's it, no more earning potential. Both have their merits, I suppose.

Slick infographic, too, but not completely unlike ones that UA has put out recently on Hub. A complete website redesign is YEARS overdue at this airline, however.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
That might be true for those who have totally committed to UA, but for some of us who have spread our spend around, this is good motivation to commit.

Also, I'm liking the new AA TV commercials here in DEN. It's a simple Branding message. Classy though.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by EWR764
AA has some great, tangible benefits here, but let's not pretend that UA does not have any measure of rewarding continuing loyalty. For the 150-200k FFer, UA already offers additional RPU/GPUs (2 RPU per 25k pqm, 2 GPU per 50k eqm, unlimited), plus fee-waived Global Entry at the 75k tier.
pmUA elite choices were in addition of 2 SWUs at 150,000 miles and 2 at 200,000 miles.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Ummm

I'd rather have CPUs than having to collect 500 mile upgrade coupons and the like.
The AA promotion is totally meaningless (because UA Elites have the CPUs, and at those levels the RDUs and GDUs) other than maybe the free club membership at 125K or 130 segs (but you would have to give up the RDUs and GDUs)
Meaningless? That's what I call CPU. AA is doing what UA did for so many years. Keep elites happy.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by pigx5
pmUA elite choices were in addition of 2 SWUs at 150,000 miles and 2 at 200,000 miles.
Right, but that program ended before the merger. UA also used to award 1Ks 2 CR-1s for 10k flown miles each quarter... now that's something we can blame CO for . Amidst the grass-is-greener banter, I'm just pointing out that UA has a reasonable, competitive continuing loyalty program, even if it is much more of an afterthought than the recently-enhanced AA program.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by 1KPath
I think this can be either a) AA doing what an AA "suit" I sat next to late last year said..."we are aware that many FFs of other airlines are dissatisfied with their current programs and are prepared to offer the best FF program to entice them to AA" or b) AA is smelling blood in the water (primarily UA's) and is putting pressure on those airlines in a second FF attack (after last year's status matching)...or c) none of the above (or maybe both).

Regardless of the reason, all I can say is...Good Show AA!...I am glad we moved a significant amount of our business to you!

Maybe AA is offering this as a retention incentive because with the US/AA merger, customers may be fearful of any upcoming changes.

UA does not need to expend resources on perks like this because there are no impending changes coming to UA.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by channa
Maybe AA is offering this as a retention incentive because with the US/AA merger, customers may be fearful of any upcoming changes.

UA does not need to expend resources on perks like this because there are no impending changes coming to UA.
I think your account was hacked. I am terrified of more changes coming. Oh wait I think you were being sarcastic. I feel better now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.