Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

American introduces more elite incentives and bennies. Will UA respond... this time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American introduces more elite incentives and bennies. Will UA respond... this time?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:39 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
To Darlox: AA begins flying ICN-DFW nonstop in May (I'm on one of the first flights). ICN has been the number one or number two rated airport in the world for many years and is a great facility, and you can connect to most Asian destinations. No, I don't work for ICN.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:51 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by relangford
To Darlox: AA begins flying ICN-DFW nonstop in May (I'm on one of the first flights). ICN has been the number one or number two rated airport in the world for many years and is a great facility, and you can connect to most Asian destinations. No, I don't work for ICN.
Woohoo, OW finally has non-stop coverage to ICN from one city in all of North America

UA covers it from both ORD and SFO, plus *A coverage via SQ to SFO, OZ to ORD, HNL, LAX, JFK, SFO, SEA, and AC to YYZ and YVR. *A stomps OW to ICN, hands down; it's not even a competition.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I was just letting Darlox know that AA does have at least one way to get to Asia. You may note I'm also a 1k and Million Miler on UA.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:59 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
In the 1990s didn't UA have something similar to this when one would hit 25K/50K/75K (or just 100K), respectively? We used to get bonus miles and i think regionals. If anyone out there remembers...?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:41 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by unavaca
Woohoo, OW finally has non-stop coverage to ICN from one city in all of North America

UA covers it from both ORD and SFO, plus *A coverage via SQ to SFO, OZ to ORD, HNL, LAX, JFK, SFO, SEA, and AC to YYZ and YVR. *A stomps OW to ICN, hands down; it's not even a competition.
UA does not fly a nonstop flight from ORD to Seoul. Yes, UA's extended route network to ICN via connections or partners blows AA out of the water, but UA does not fly ORD-ICN.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
In the 1990s didn't UA have something similar to this when one would hit 25K/50K/75K (or just 100K), respectively? We used to get bonus miles and i think regionals. If anyone out there remembers...?
See discussion upthread at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20641244-post4.html. United's "elite choice" program was last offered in 2010.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by mherdeg
See discussion upthread at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20641244-post4.html. United's "elite choice" program was last offered in 2010.
Responses come from ua at 5pm on Fridays only. All lies anyway.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by pigx5
pmUA used to have elite choice which is similar to AA's elite reward.
I believed most pmCO elites would not even know these benefits on pmUA and AA since pmCO
didn't have any similar program.
Since the merge, COdbaUA only show how much they want to push elites away and
cut benefits.
I believe COdbaUA encourage people to fly less so they won't be elites and they have to pay for all the fees.
Why do they want to waste money on those elites that they don't want?

I remember pmUA had elite choice until 2010.
I remember the good old days[

Before Elite Choice UA had even a better program back in the 90's. they had threshold bonuses on your way to 1K. I can't remember exactly what they were, something like 25K RDM's @ 25K, then 40K RDM's @ 50K. By the time we reached 1K we had an extra 100K RDM's every year

The ridiculous thing is UA throws millions if miles at credit card holders who are CHASE customers but absolutely nothing for their own customers. Sure, I can see Smiseks point that he is selling & we are buying safe, reliable transportation and we really don't need more then that. The problem is there has been nothing reliable about UA since the merger. As far as safe, ill keep those thoughts to myself but this is really insulting........and we deserve it. UA thinks they don't need to compete with AA to keep us & unfortunately, we are proving them right

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
YES - see my post above. It was before the ELITE CHOICE of the later 2000's. we got RDM's @ certain thresholds ( around 100K RDM's for flying 100K)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 24, 2013 at 9:11 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG
AA is going to earn themselves a new 1k next year.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
. . . The ridiculous thing is UA throws millions if miles at credit card holders who are CHASE customers but absolutely nothing for their own customers. . .
Nothing ridiculous about that. Profit sharing with a bank on CC interest and fees bring LOTS of money and is much 'cleaner' and easier business than flying planes from point A to point B. . .
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pigx5
Maybe COdbaUA should change the benefits to
1K will get 2 SWUs but when they reach 200K, they will get 12 instead of only 10 now.
When they reach 300K, they will get 16 instead of 14 now.
or
change the Gold benefit to 25% bonus miles but when you reach 200,000 miles, you will get 150% bonus
after that.
or
change the 1K upgrade window to 24 hr and once you reach 300K a year, your upgrade window will be at booking
with any fare while we won't release any confirm upgrade space.
They'd never do this, because we all know 1Ks are new UA's least favorite customers - too many benefits, not GS-level CPM
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
UA thinks they don't need to compete with AA to keep us & unfortunately, we are proving them right
We are?

They have lost a significant number of Elites, and their numbers show a loss of business.

While CO has often stumbled with many of their marketing moves, the fact that they put out targeted retention bonuses and invested resources in printing a big "1K" on boarding passes indicates they have some concern on this item.

Management may be working outside their comfort zone, and of course CO is often too PROUD to admit a fault or error, but in their sort of messed up CO mentality, you can tell they see there's a problem. They just don't fully understand how to fix it.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Darlox
All I can say is that I have a lovely Tiffany & Co glass bowl with "Delta SkyMiles" etched on the bottom, circa-2009, that I got as a loyalty gift. It didn't have much effect on my loyalty when everything hit the fan towards the tail end of the NW/DL merger...

AA is at least giving away something with travel viability, and their SWUs have some real value associated with them. I'm hugely surprised about the value discrepancy in the rewards... a SWU at 75k, versus 5 wi-fi passes??

But If I knew I could direct ~100k miles to them and get an extra 1-3 SWUs that could actually be used?? That's a pretty good deal. Could basically ensure that with the 8 you get an EXP, you'd almost never fly Y Int'l...

Sadly, most of my Int'l is Asia, so AA SWUs are about as useless as a helicopter ejector seat...
I was just letting Darlox know that AA does have at least one way to get to Asia. You may note I'm also a 1k and Million Miler on UA.
While I certainly won't argue that AA is better than UA to Asia, the comparison is not as black and white as it might seem. For the five places to which AA does fly - PVG, PEK, NRT, HND and soon ICN - ugrades are not only from cheaper fares than UA offers but also are considerably easier to get. If you can afford to fly onward intra-Asia in J (especially since the AA Y ticket for TPAC is cheaper than UA), tolerate Y intra-Asia, or burn some points for that onward travel, you can piece together a decent itinerary.

Also, CX is a great partner airline, the best J seats around (which, along with US, were the template for AA's new J) and often has award seat availability, especially in its excellent F. Plus if you fly CX (or any OW partner for that matter) as an AA code share, you get full AA mileage accruals.

The recent addition of MH to OW adds another dimension and options.

It wouldn't surprise me if, along with all of the negatives that might well flow from the AA-US merger, Parker's team might push to open up new Asian destinations so the combined airline can be a true global brand. I don't know whether CX would object to making HKG an option in this regard since it might see AA as a competitor (though that doesn't stop many partner airlines from flying the same routes), but perhaps KUL since passengers could then connect on from there on MH?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by channa
We are?

They have lost a significant number of Elites, and their numbers show a loss of business.

While CO has often stumbled with many of their marketing moves, the fact that they put out targeted retention bonuses and invested resources in printing a big "1K" on boarding passes indicates they have some concern on this item.

Management may be working outside their comfort zone, and of course CO is often too PROUD to admit a fault or error, but in their sort of messed up CO mentality, you can tell they see there's a problem. They just don't fully understand how to fix it.
You FIX it the same way other companies do.......hire someone who knows what he's doing. I'm not talking about SMI/J or any Sr VP but if you see a problem & don't know how to fix it, hire someone that does
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Originally Posted by craz
Worse is when Dougie takes over and guts it all just as Jeff did with UA, so AA folks enjoy while you can it wont be around for long. Dont see UA matching no real need at this time of the year. Theres not enough being offered to someone who hasnt already started racking up AA EQMs
True!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.