Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

American introduces more elite incentives and bennies. Will UA respond... this time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American introduces more elite incentives and bennies. Will UA respond... this time?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by tom911
UA had tier bonuses in the early 90s. When you hit 35K you received 10,000 miles. Reach 45K, get another 10,000. Can't recall what the cap on that was but it didn't stay around too long--maybe ending around 93-94--and I only recall benefiting from that one year. I joined MP in 1992. They also had reduced mileage awards when two persons traveled together.
The 2 for 1 awards were great. 180,000 for 2 F ORD-BKK! That was when F had Dom and caviar still. I know those lasted until at least 1998.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
IMO it's United goal to thin the ranks of Elites. It has nothing to do with over entitled or any other such non sense. UA seems to feel they have to many Elites that are not high value customers. Their actions of the past year seem to indicate I'm right. If this is the case I don't think we can expect anything extra to either prop up EQM's.

however, threshold bonuses are a nice way of rewarding people for reaching certain milestones & it costs UA almost nothing. It's ridiculous that they give us no incentives to fly with UA at all any longer. Forget Elite benefits, etc. I do believe there are to many faux elites & if UA wants to thin the ranks that's fine w me. However, FF programs were originally and still mainly a way to get free tickets as a reward for loyalty. Keeping it to this most basic idea has worked well for the airlines since the 80's & threshold bonuses can't hurt UA's bottom line, won't make someone an Elite faster, and is a great marketing plan. It's to bad UA has no marketing people any longer to think of these things

UA had tier bonuses in the early 90s. When you hit 35K you received 10,000 miles. Reach 45K, get another 10,000. Can't recall what the cap on that was but it didn't stay around too long--maybe ending around 93-94--and I only recall benefiting from that one year. I joined MP in 1992. They also had reduced mileage awards when two persons traveled together.
Those Tier bonuses capped at either 90 or 100K RDM's. I forget which but im sure they still had them till at least 1997 (maybe 98)

On top of those extra 100K RDM's we were also able to return extra 500 mile upgrade certs which most 1Ks got tons of. 1 returned 500 mile cert equalled 500 RDM's & I used to return 20 at a time. Between the tier bonuses and the E-500's that was a free first class tkt to Asia without using any RDM's earned thru flying. A GREAT BONUS AND THE REASON I JOINED MP IN 1992

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 24, 2013 at 3:28 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
IMO it's United goal to thin the ranks of Elites. It has nothing to do with over entitled or any other such non sense. UA seems to feel they have to many Elites that are not high value customers. Their actions of the past year seem to indicate I'm right. If this is the case I don't think we can expect anything extra to either prop up EQM's.

however, threshold bonuses are a nice way of rewarding people for reaching certain milestones & it costs UA almost nothing. It's ridiculous that they give us no incentives to fly with UA at all any longer. Forget Elite benefits, etc. I do believe there are to many faux elites & if UA wants to thin the ranks that's fine w me. However, FF programs were originally and still mainly a way to get free tickets as a reward for loyalty. Keeping it to this most basic idea has worked well for the airlines since the 80's & threshold bonuses can't hurt UA's bottom line, won't make someone an Elite faster, and is a great marketing plan. It's to bad UA has no marketing people any longer to think of these things
Good points, but why do you think UA accorded matching elite status to the spouses and co-habiting SOs of elites? Just a one-off move made to assuage some elite anger over other steps UA was taking?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:32 pm

One random date/span, one random route and you can make THAT conclusion about the value of AA SWUs?

I'm surprised, looking at Seoul fares from either DFW or SFO....
The only real issue in play would be which carrier you're more likely to clear that systemwide on.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Potreroflyr
One random date/span, one random route and you can make THAT conclusion about the value of AA SWUs?
In the case of Seoul, yes. I ran a second set of dates in September and the difference is $17 instead of $10-20 from SFO. If you'd like to post some other comparisons, feel free to do so.

Last edited by tom911; Apr 24, 2013 at 1:04 pm
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
UA will match it in reverse. Reach the first level and UA will deduct 10,000 points from your account and make you pay for all checked bags. Those lucky enough to get to the last step will get charged twice as much for change fees, get to board last, and will have all the miles taken out of his/her account.

Get ready for the press release at 5PM on Friday.
+1
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I don't understand why so many of you are surprised that UA has no elite benefits. It's true - they have PREMIER benefits
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
It's to bad UA has no marketing people any longer to think of these things
And, yet, they paid someone to send me an email and tell me that I can buy a ticket on united.com if I want to. Who in the world are these people?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Sorry if this was covered, but does this promotion also apply to flights booked on US Airways...or not until they fully integrate.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Darlox
Sadly, most of my Int'l is Asia, so AA SWUs are about as useless as a helicopter ejector seat...
Lol. Nicely put. I'm in the exact same boat.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=chinatraderjmr;20645956]IMO it's United goal to thin the ranks of Elites. It has nothing to do with over entitled or any other such non sense. UA seems to feel they have to many Elites that are not high value customers. Their actions of the past year seem to indicate I'm right. If this is the case I don't think we can expect anything extra to either prop up EQM's.

I have a solution for thinning the Elite ranks. Stop calling people with UA credit cards Elite. Premier check-in and security lines are huge because everyone is premier even if they fly once a year. At EWR most days it faster to go through the non-Premier line. Something has gone terribly wrong.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by entropy
United probably won't respond. They seem to think that people will fly them for their route network, no matter if they offer the best elite program or not, best service or not, or best FFP.

CO was never much interested in doing promos unlike their former partner NW, which was always utilizing their FFP to pull in customers.
Further proof that their heads are way up their rears. The route network will take a distant back seat to the combined AA/US once the merger begins.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by feobrien

I have a solution for thinning the Elite ranks. Stop calling people with UA credit cards Elite. Premier check-in and security lines are huge because everyone is premier even if they fly once a year. At EWR most days it faster to go through the non-Premier line. Something has gone terribly wrong.
^^ When everyone is elite, no one is elite.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
There are a LOT of people who fly 25K but not 50K in a given year. While they might be loyal to ensure they at least get to 25K, I wouldn't be surprised if many are less "committed" after hitting that threshold (e.g. less willing to take a connection, or fly at an inconvenient time, or pay a small premium) because 50K is too far off.
I think this might miss the whole point of AA's move. I strongly doubt they launched this as a strategic lure for HVFs. This is marketing. You create a perceived low-barrier to get something nice in return. You build a habit. "Well gee... I made 25k, but now my Boss wants me to fly to Sao Paulo, and if I go on vacation with my wife in October, I'll hit 40k and get this bonus!"

There's only a small number of people -- mostly hanging out on FT -- that are willing to fly needless miles to make status. If your flying pattern is going to get you close to the threshold, this is incentive to book AA. And then, they hope, that you'll stay... which is likely to happen in a lot of cases.

Compared to UA where there's nothing at 25k that you can't get with a credit card, and little or nothing at 50k that you can't get with a slightly more expensive credit card, or ToD-type incremental buy-ups day-of.

I really HOPE that UA is seeing financial benefit from the "Premier Access" buy-ups, because god knows they've gutted any kind of loyalty mentality < 50k/year. My own WIFE does her business travel on WN now, because she has no incentive to fly UA when she's not traveling with me.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Man...how I wish American flew direct to Asia from SEA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.