Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL 1Q 2013 call/results - Thursday 4/25/13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL 1Q 2013 call/results - Thursday 4/25/13

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
These points are beyond dispute, but the highly contentious nature of the UA/CO labor situation before, during and after the merger (primarily on the UA side pre-merger) made the possibility of pre-merger labor accord essentially moot. The only possibility, in retrospect, would have been if both companies used the 2008-2010 period to bring the workgroups into some harmony to streamline the integration process, but the course UA took regarding aggressive cost cutting and pilot layoffs meant the UAL MEC would never agree to such a plan. Tilton's pre-merger cost reduction campaign was a success, and he most certainly improved the airline's prospects dramatically, but some of the steps he took, albeit necessary at the time, stirred up a hornet's nest with labor. Plus, the prospect of a UA-US merger was real almost up until the day the UA-CO deal was announced, so pre-merger agreement similar to DL/NW or AA/US would have been challenging.

Any suggestion that UA somehow missed an opportunity before the merger to quickly resolve labor disputes that have dragged on for years post-merger is pure revisionism, in my book.
I don't profess to have internal knowledge, my comments are based more of multiple discussions with pilots/FAs/agents. Jeff promised to quickly do contracts (which I recall and thought was a good idea at the time) they expected it, and then nothing happened. Maybe nothing could have been done earlier, but I have heard for lots of folks that they believe that Jeff wanted to play hard to get, let the merger get going and then bargain from a position of strength. Alas he is now stuck in a position of weakness. As far as I could see from the outside the merger had been on for 18 months before Jeff really begin to try to negotiate.

Originally Posted by fly18725
You are the one who is combing media reports to copy-and-paste selective quotes from an analyst's to support your conclusions.

I am not going to debate the independence of analysts with you: that's a serious legal issue far outside my scope.
Well if you did your research better you would have known that I simply copied what Kaye had said on his blog. But more generally, I note that I post on Hunter Keay, and a few days later you show up, make your first post and say " I am not Hunter Keay, but I have great respect for his experience and track-record." Most folks have a set Google search for their name. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Regardless, the dissatisfaction expressed on this board is not somehow limited to here. If you were really a 1K, and bothered to ask your seat mate, or the guy/gal in line with you to board you would get an earful about UA. I can't remember a single person I have talked to who likes the changes, and they either say "I'm flying UA less, flying others, or "well out of x [usually IAH, EWR, sometimes SFO I don't have a lot of choice." I've not talked to a single person in the last 6 months who would recommend flying UA to their worst enemy.

In a business where a single high value fare per flight is the difference between a loss and making money, and where much of the travel dollar can and will move, and its well known that CS/product effects the buying decision, that the "analysts" have not bothered to look further or discuss these issues (instead concentrating like Hunter has on possible income from extra fees, or savings from cutting costs/benefits without looking at the effect they have in driving passenger revenue away) says it all.

This would not matter if UA actually had a monopoly, it does not, and its not selling bulk widgets either.

Here is what I originally said, "While no one may like the current management teams at United or other major carriers as a customer, they are among the most experienced and savvy at running a business than any other management team since Crandall left AA."
I could diagram your sentence if you like, you have "United or other major carriers," and then say after the coma "they are among the most experienced and savvy at running a business than any other management team"

No one has said that they don't like the mangement teams at other airlines, and team is single, and clearly refers in your sentence to UA.

You continue to selectively revise history to suit your agenda.

AA did not lose most of the high-value TW traffic because of upgrade changes. AA's yield erosion after the TW acquisition was driven initially by a weakening economy and then 9/11.

HP/US's domestic yields haven't crashed, relative to their peers, since the merger.
I note that you have cited no facts.

In fact AAs traffic and yields crashed at STL far more than other hubs. 9/11 happened, but AA specifically stated that they had weakness at STL and has a reduction in valuable traffic though STL in pulling down the hub. You can pull the articles and discussion from their quarterly calls at the time if you want. I've also discussed this with a high level executive at AA who when hearing I was ex-TWA told me that AA management regretted how they handled the cuts in FF benifits and stated that they lost many of the high value TWA fliers.

What I call pig headed is the assumption that because UA couldn't avoid the issues encountered in previous mergers, UA's management must have ignored every single lesson learned.
Good management avoids issues, or proactively addresses them. Cross-fleeting is a good example. DL had problems, quickly pulled down cross-fleeting, and openly admitted that it did not work on calls. So UA? What do they do? Well they aggressively cross-fleeted, making it worse by imposing CO dispatch rates on cross-fleeted UA planes. Well the S**t hit the fan immediately, yet in the face of crumbling OT and skyrocketing cancellation rates, UA "stayed the course" for 3 more months before having to admit they were changing course when they got pummeled on the 2Q call.

All of this was predictable. And even today, cross-fleeting is causing UA to have a sub-par reliability. DL is running at 86-87% OT without increasing block times, UA is having a hard time keeping over 80% OT with increased block times.

I could go on, but management has demonstrated the most amazing, and continuous arrogance, and then an utter refusal to say sorry or make any effort to make it up to their customers who are POed.

AA had a similar melt down, and a BKR, yet its yields and revenue went up. It shows a good management vs. the bad one at UAL, and as others have rightly pointed out the "analysis" got AAs revenue entirely wrong since they don't pay attention to customer service, or what drives passenger revenue growth in a consumer service industry.

There is no depth to the analysis found in this thread.

For what its worth, the only airline that has recently managed to increase yields without outsized cuts in capacity is Alaska. You continue to ignore basic facts, like how DL's yield growth is the result of very aggressive capacity reductions.
Ain't seeing any analysis from you so far. Alas the numbers speak for themselves. I'll direct you to FWAA (post 340) re AAs numbers.

As to DL (from its 2012 10K):

Operating revenue +4.4% [to 36.6B], ASM (1.8%), yeild +4.9%.

UAL? (which was supposed to have $800M in revenue synergies, making these numbers actually worse than they look):

Operating revenue +.1% [to 37.1B], ASM (1.5%), yeild + .6%

No offense, but given that UA was given 800M in "synergies" and still performed this way says their management was not exactly "savvy."

BUT in 2013 new strategy by UA (SLASH CAPACITY!)

2013Q1 Operating revenue +.7%, ASM (4.9%), yeild +1.9% Given that these numbers are based upon weak comps in 1Q 2012, and include the approx $200M in extra synergy revenues, things are not looking so good for UAL.

DAL? Against very very hard comps, and without any synergies, Operating revenue was +1%, ASM (3%), yield +2%.

UALs numbers only look better than those in 2012 as it had very weak comps and slashed capacity dramatically.

[A note of caution, I recall that FWAAA has said that DL's yeild numbers are actually just mainline, not consolidated, I took the numbers from the 10K/10Q, and did not recalculate them from the raw figures in the reports]

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I disagree. AA increased its mainline yield by 4.5% in 2012 compared to 2011 on 1.1% less capacity; much of that capacity reduction was due to its pilot work action and excessive sick calls throughout 2012. I wouldn't characterize 1.1% as "outsized cuts in capacity." Here is AA's year-end results:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...h-quarter-2011

As a result of the slight reduction in capacity, AA increased its mainline PRASM by 5.6% in 2012.

How did UA perform in 2012 compared to 2011? Mainline yield up 0.6% on 1.4% reduction in capacity. Mainline PRASM up 0.8%. During 2012, AA overtook UA on mainline yield and PRASM.
ditto
Old May 29, 2013, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
Well if you did your research better you would have known that I simply copied what Kaye had said on his blog. But more generally, I note that I post on Hunter Keay, and a few days later you show up, make your first post and say " I am not Hunter Keay, but I have great respect for his experience and track-record." Most folks have a set Google search for their name. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Considering this is the first thread I've participated in, I think your accusations are off-base and inappropriate.

But, my basic point still stands: you're making judgements based on soundbites, not a review of the full picture.

Regardless, the dissatisfaction expressed on this board is not somehow limited to here. If you were really a 1K, and bothered to ask your seat mate, or the guy/gal in line with you to board you would get an earful about UA. I can't remember a single person I have talked to who likes the changes, and they either say "I'm flying UA less, flying others, or "well out of x [usually IAH, EWR, sometimes SFO I don't have a lot of choice." I've not talked to a single person in the last 6 months who would recommend flying UA to their worst enemy.
I never said I was fully satisfied with UA and I've admitted management has made mistakes.

In a business where a single high value fare per flight is the difference between a loss and making money, and where much of the travel dollar can and will move, and its well known that CS/product effects the buying decision, that the "analysts" have not bothered to look further or discuss these issues (instead concentrating like Hunter has on possible income from extra fees, or savings from cutting costs/benefits without looking at the effect they have in driving passenger revenue away) says it all.

This would not matter if UA actually had a monopoly, it does not, and its not selling bulk widgets either.
Actually, analysts talk a great deal about customer service and product and most of them are top-tier elites on one or more US carrier. The reason these attributes are not highlighted in analysts' reports is that they aren't the primary driver of passengers' purchase decisions. Network, schedule, and operational performance, which can all be objectively measured, are the biggest influencers of air travel purchase decisions.

As to DL (from its 2012 10K):

Operating revenue +4.4% [to 36.6B], ASM (1.8%), yeild +4.9%.

UAL? (which was supposed to have $800M in revenue synergies, making these numbers actually worse than they look):

Operating revenue +.1% [to 37.1B], ASM (1.5%), yeild + .6%

No offense, but given that UA was given 800M in "synergies" and still performed this way says their management was not exactly "savvy."
I would encourage you to include 2010 and 2011 network capacity and capacity and yields by region as part of your analysis. Cherry picking top line numbers from one period doesn't tell much of a story.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Unless I am reading this wrong...

UA just had to hand over approx $150M in stock to some convertible bond holders (difference in value of bonds exchanged and the stock). The new stock is sufficient to dilute UAL stock by nearly 2%.

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/130529/ual8-k.html

I would think this would materially impact the stock price tomorrow.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
But, my basic point still stands: you're making judgements based on soundbites, not a review of the full picture.
I think a bunch of us are making judgments based on our significant and regular interactions with this company and those of our friends and colleagues. But putting that aside, UA's stock performance is significantly lagging its competitors.

What should we attribute such poor performance to? It would seem to rest squarely on the shoulders of management.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I don't profess to have internal knowledge, my comments are based more of multiple discussions with pilots/FAs/agents. Jeff promised to quickly do contracts (which I recall and thought was a good idea at the time) they expected it, and then nothing happened. Maybe nothing could have been done earlier, but I have heard for lots of folks that they believe that Jeff wanted to play hard to get, let the merger get going and then bargain from a position of strength. Alas he is now stuck in a position of weakness. As far as I could see from the outside the merger had been on for 18 months before Jeff really begin to try to negotiate.
I believe management deliberately dragged its feet in certain aspects of the negotiations, at least with respect to how closely it could integrate the two carriers without actually having to achieve joint labor agreements. That said, nobody in their right mind could have anticipated a rapid close to the negotiations.

Most agents, F/As and pilots on the front lines aren't closely involved in the labor negotiations, and, to a man (or woman), it would be difficult to find someone who wouldn't be happy with a rapid, favorable resolution. Unfortunately, the blockbuster contracts in the boom years of the late 1990s in part led to the need for deep givebacks in the early 2000s when the economy turned south. The desire to avoid that is shared by both sides, but there is naturally a difference of opinion of how to get there.

I think the part that gets lost is that the labor pictures at UA and CO were extraordinarily different, almost diametrically opposed, save for the fact that both were heavily unionized where DL was to a much lesser extent. Philosophically, integrating UA and CO was and continues to be a monumental task. There was very little common ground regarding work rules, pay, scope clauses, workforce demographics, etc. making the groups themselves difficult to integrate regardless of orientation toward management. Management probably could have run right down the list and conceded all of the pilots' demands and there would still be a host of internal conflict amongst the UA/CO ALPA MECs that need to be hashed out. Same with the AFA (which needed to be voted in ahead of the IAM first, before even sitting down at the joint bargaining table), Teamsters, etc.

Things are moving forward slowly, and even though blaming this "incompetent" management team (I use quotations because competence is more of a subjective assessment) is en vogue, as always, there is a lot more to the story.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

. Network, schedule, and operational performance, which can all be objectively measured, are the biggest influencers of air travel purchase decisions.
Didn't you forget something?
Old May 29, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
The term banker has broad meaning, and is inclusive of merchant and investment banking services. My comments are my personal opinion and do not include proprietary customer data.

Your threat is taken under advisement.
For the record. That was no threat. As someone who deals with regulators all the time, I have sincere concern for you not to create a problem for yourself. Sometimes in the heat of battle, we can forget the liability we create for ourselves. I was honestly only trying to remind you of those issues. If they don't apply (meaning you can make these comments pro-UA without any worry about regulatory issues) then feel free to post as much as you'd like.

Originally Posted by halls120
I was wondering the very same thing.
I am sure you and I were not the only ones.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWR764
I believe management deliberately dragged its feet in certain aspects of the negotiations, at least with respect to how closely it could integrate the two carriers without actually having to achieve joint labor agreements. That said, nobody in their right mind could have anticipated a rapid close to the negotiations.

Most agents, F/As and pilots on the front lines aren't closely involved in the labor negotiations, and, to a man (or woman), it would be difficult to find someone who wouldn't be happy with a rapid, favorable resolution. Unfortunately, the blockbuster contracts in the boom years of the late 1990s in part led to the need for deep givebacks in the early 2000s when the economy turned south. The desire to avoid that is shared by both sides, but there is naturally a difference of opinion of how to get there.

I think the part that gets lost is that the labor pictures at UA and CO were extraordinarily different, almost diametrically opposed, save for the fact that both were heavily unionized where DL was to a much lesser extent. Philosophically, integrating UA and CO was and continues to be a monumental task. There was very little common ground regarding work rules, pay, scope clauses, workforce demographics, etc. making the groups themselves difficult to integrate regardless of orientation toward management. Management probably could have run right down the list and conceded all of the pilots' demands and there would still be a host of internal conflict amongst the UA/CO ALPA MECs that need to be hashed out. Same with the AFA (which needed to be voted in ahead of the IAM first, before even sitting down at the joint bargaining table), Teamsters, etc.

Things are moving forward slowly, and even though blaming this "incompetent" management team (I use quotations because competence is more of a subjective assessment) is en vogue, as always, there is a lot more to the story.
thanks for the 411. The first part "dragging their feet" is what I have heard over and over. Not understating the difficulties at UA, but DL had them too, including integrating unionized and non-unionized work forces. Yet they seem to have done a very good job of it. Its notable that Dougy, used the DL approach, not the UA approach.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
I think a bunch of us are making judgments based on our significant and regular interactions with this company and those of our friends and colleagues. But putting that aside, UA's stock performance is significantly lagging its competitors.

What should we attribute such poor performance to? It would seem to rest squarely on the shoulders of management.
You make strategic business judgements for multi-billion dollar corporations based on solely on your perspective as a customer?

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
For the record. That was no threat. As someone who deals with regulators all the time, I have sincere concern for you not to create a problem for yourself. Sometimes in the heat of battle, we can forget the liability we create for ourselves. I was honestly only trying to remind you of those issues. If they don't apply (meaning you can make these comments pro-UA without any worry about regulatory issues) then feel free to post as much as you'd like.
If you had sincere concern, you would have addressed the issue in private. Making such a public statement, particularly when there is nothing to indicate the type of firm I work for, only serves to intimidate someone who holds a contradictory opinion.

Last edited by fly18725; May 29, 2013 at 4:53 pm
Old May 29, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Didn't you forget something?
I think it is a five letter word that starts with the letter "p" and ends with the letter "e".

You make strategic business judgements for multi-billion dollar corporations based on solely on your perspective as a customer?
I'm not making judgements for a multi-billion dollar corporation, as I'm not a banker or an analyst. I'm a customer who has personally spent tens of thousands of dollars a year on tickets with this company (I've spent 10K so far this year) and I believe this company is messed up by its management. So far I think the under-performance of the stock price supports my view point.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 29, 2013 at 5:08 pm Reason: merge
Old May 29, 2013, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
I think it is a five letter word that starts with the letter "p" and ends with the letter "e".
Alas that is about all that UA can compete on now.

I notice their response to DL's new $1.2B JFK terminal, and DL blowing their doors off with corporate accounts in NY was a meek press release touting the lie flat seats on all planes [surprisingly UA didn't bother to mention the effective 5'10" bed on the CO BF seats on the new 763 two class birds with 6'3" pitch or the 787 ] and another how they had been at Newark for 25 years.

No, and no one is saying this. But I think everyone is saying that perhaps it is wise to consider the customer perspective, their complaints, and then that they are leaving, and why that is happening, when one is running a major $37B CONSUMER business. Without revenue, Jeffy ain't paying the bills, and so far the revenue ain't showing up like it should. UA can pay attention, or keep doing the spread sheet analysis divorced from customer's complaints you (and Hunter Keay) appear to be advocating for.

Last edited by spin88; May 29, 2013 at 5:40 pm
Old May 29, 2013, 6:25 pm

No, and no one is saying this. But I think everyone is saying that perhaps it is wise to consider the customer perspective, their complaints, and then that they are leaving, and why that is happening, when one is running a major $37B CONSUMER business. Without revenue, Jeffy ain't paying the bills, and so far the revenue ain't showing up like it should. UA can pay attention, or keep doing the spread sheet analysis divorced from customer's complaints you (and Hunter Keay) appear to be advocating for.
Are you telling me that no one in this place is saying they could make better decisions and run a more successful operation than the current management team on UAL?

All of the complaints feedback about how the smallest of changes are driving thousands of dollars of valuable business away is because...?
Old May 29, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
If you had sincere concern, you would have addressed the issue in private. Making such a public statement, particularly when there is nothing to indicate the type of firm I work for, only serves to intimidate someone who holds a contradictory opinion.
If you want to interpret my post as a threat, I can't keep you from doing so...
Old May 29, 2013, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Are you telling me that no one in this place is saying they could make better decisions and run a more successful operation than the current management team on UAL?

All of the complaints feedback about how the smallest of changes are driving thousands of dollars of valuable business away is because...?
I think that most folks here are saying that they would have avoided very bad decisions made by UA, or fixed them faster. Even folks who are generally in the tank for CO have admitted this.

I don't think that anyone here is claiming to put themselves up for the CEO slot (although most of us would not have done as bad, and probably could have done far better than Jeff for his $13.9M last year) but now that you mention it I do believe that I would have avoided all of the bad decisions UA has made. I have certainly posted on the problems with all of them, before those problems surfaced. Just saying. Others FWAAA, Michmu, bocastephen, UA-NYC, Halls120, AA ExPlat (just a few that come quickly to mind) pointed out the folly of all of the mistakes, make them CEO

And hey, I think everyone here has recognized the one thing new management got right, they put together a good moble app showing the upgrade list and where the plane is coming from! I'm sure we would have signed off on that too.

But hey, even those more supportive of management at times have recognized decisions were wrong as they were being made. EWR764 and LarkSFO come to mind on this thread. Hell, Star_word might have done a better job as CEO. Or I nominate Fastair!

Future stuff? Getting rid of IFE, Ch.9 on Airbus's comes to mind as something that will hurt passenger revenue and the already tattered rep UA has for on board service levels. I would have done that very differently (as DL is doing it differently).

But hey, who is counting. Basically anyone with two frontal lobes would have done better than the current bunch of boobs. They took the best network, the best hubs (with the best hub premiums), the most easy to integrate and modern fleet, and two very large and profitable FF basis, and turned it into a steaming pile that no passenger likes. Its actually quite an accomplishment to do all this in only 16 months.

Maybe Jeff lasts till end of 4Q, maybe a quarter longer, but absent a major major turn around to provide real revenue growth (which I don't see happening) and out sided profits, UA will get new management. I am hopping Horton is available by them. Jeff will then become a case study in how not to run an airline integration.

Last edited by spin88; May 29, 2013 at 7:22 pm
Old May 29, 2013, 7:30 pm

I think that most folks here are saying that they would have avoided very bad decisions made by UA, or fixed them faster. Even folks who are generally in the tank for CO have admitted this.
For one thing, publicly calling your most frequent flyers "over-entitled" is indicative of both the hostility and the amateurish nature of this team.

It's fine for them to think we're over-entitled, it's fine for them to make decisions that I think are stupid in response to that belief.

But, for an executive to enter a public forum and, in that forum, declare that his customers are over-entitled - that betrays both inexperience and unprofessionalism and a sense of hostility.

And, that's just one tiny example of a behavior that a seasoned and professional manager would not have exhibited. There are thousands more.

On a much grander scale, throwing SHARES into action before it was ready and before anyone was trained, presumably for the sole reason of collecting bonuses that were tied to achieving specific milestones by specific dates has got to rank as one of the greatest management failures in recent corporate history. The costs of that horrible and incompetent decision are staggering.

Others FWAAA, Michmu, bocastephen, UA-NYC, Halls120, AA ExPlat (just a few that come quickly to mind) pointed out the folly of all of the mistakes, make them CEO
I'm not qualified but I surely would not have made many of the mistakes that have been made. I'd have gone much slower, and would probably have been fired because of it.

Maybe Jeff lasts till end of 4Q, maybe a quarter longer, but absent a major major turn around to provide real revenue growth (which I don't see happening) and out sided profits, UA will get new management.
I sure hope this happens because I think I'm nearly totally done with this airline on the current trajectory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.