Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL 1Q 2013 call/results - Thursday 4/25/13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL 1Q 2013 call/results - Thursday 4/25/13

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by fly18725
I didn't say the UAL management team was perfect
Strawman alert!! NO ONE accused you of doing so. Just sayin.
no one said the most loyal and valuable flyers have been run off.
True, as far as that goes. Financial results paint a not so rosy picture however.

There have been plenty of mistakes made at UAL, but the picture painted on FlyerTalk about the airline business is far from accurate/rational/relevant.
Pray tell, WHICH picture??

Dave
Old May 27, 2013, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I didn't say the UAL management team was perfect and no one said the most loyal and valuable flyers have been run off.

There have been plenty of mistakes made at UAL, but the picture painted on FlyerTalk about the airline business is far from accurate/rational/relevant.
Actually, UAL managment themselves have admitted that HVFs have left, and they're doing everything they can to get them back. Not too well from the looks of things though.
Old May 27, 2013, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Actually, UAL managment themselves have admitted that HVFs have left, and they're doing everything they can to get them back. Not too well from the looks of things though.
According to this article from Bloomberg, UA - which has more flights in the NYC-LAX market than any of its competitors - lags badly at attracting passengers willing to pay high fares.

Airlines are stepping up competition for full-fare passengers between New York and Los Angeles, with lie-flat seats, pricey French wines and personal valets to whisk travelers from curb to gate without wasting time in lines.

The latest dogfight over first- and business-class fliers involves five carriers on the most lucrative U.S. route. Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL), American Airlines (AAMRQ) and United Airlines (UAL) are expanding space for high-end customers and offering goodies once reserved for international trips, such as mini-suites.

Joined by JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU) and Virgin America Inc., they’re chasing bankers, celebrities and others who buy tickets that can top $6,500. That market, a minority of passengers on any given trip, produces an estimated 75 percent of the revenue on cross-country flights -- a payoff for airlines’ investment in plusher cabins and four-course meals.

“Unlike other domestic U.S. routes, there is significant demand from customers who are willing to pay full price to sit in the first-class cabin,” American Chief Commercial Officer Virasb Vahidi said.

At AMR Corp. (AAMRQ)’s American, the transcontinental-only perks include concierge employees who greet elite passengers at curbside and whisk them to a dedicated check-in room and a private elevator that skips to the front of security lines. Those fliers then go to the Flagship Lounge, a private facility within American’s Admirals Club lounges.

New York-Los Angeles is both the busiest long-haul U.S. route, at about 3.2 million passengers a year, and the most lucrative, at $1.43 billion in annual sales, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. First-class fares on that trip may be 10 times as much as in coach, based on prices on airline websites.

American, reorganizing in bankruptcy and poised to merge with US Airways Group Inc (LCC)., accounts for 32 percent of revenue on the New York-Los Angeles route, according to Boyd. By his estimates, Virgin America has 21 percent, Delta has 19 percent, United Continental Holdings Inc. (UAL)’s United is at 16 percent and JetBlue has 11 percent.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo

So if this market does have people willing to pay for F, it makes one wonder why UA is abandoning this segment.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
I don't have a problem with the so-called 'nickel and diming' of passengers. It costs the airline to schlep a 50lb bag for the customer ( or two or 3), no question. If they charge money for that, it will discourage consumption of that service, and compensate them for when they do. i don't have a problem with them charging for meals. I don't have a problem with charging $50 to sit in their lounges.

what i do have a problem with is the degradation of the PREMIUM products. The lousy food and wine (and coffee) in F (domestically and internationally). Charge $10 more a ticket for F and serve something better than taco bell or reheated 7-11 fare. Look at the 'Lets Eat' thread for some of the 'delicious' slop they serve in F.

I don't think they should be serving free gourmet food in Y. If you're in F through paying for it with cash, miles or loyalty, I think they should give you something better than you'd get in a gas station.
Classic FT argument: "as long as it doesn't effect me, then I'm fine with it but don't you dare touch my meals that I've earned through "loyalty".

Loyalty is useless. Paying for something is the new loyalty, this is the way it always should have been. First Class in the USA is a joke precisely because it is filled with "loyal" passengers paying coach fares. I think 10 years in the future USA domestic will move to the European model of same seats, slightly better service than coach. Unless, that is, the buy ups on offer from UA and other airlines are producing significant revenue. They certainly won't keep giving it out for free, this much I'm pretty confident about. And yes, even though you fly 250k miles a year on UA you are still getting that first class seat for free, you don't have an inherent right to it.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Classic FT argument: "as long as it doesn't effect me, then I'm fine with it but don't you dare touch my meals that I've earned through "loyalty".

Loyalty is useless. Paying for something is the new loyalty, this is the way it always should have been. First Class in the USA is a joke precisely because it is filled with "loyal" passengers paying coach fares. I think 10 years in the future USA domestic will move to the European model of same seats, slightly better service than coach. Unless, that is, the buy ups on offer from UA and other airlines are producing significant revenue. They certainly won't keep giving it out for free, this much I'm pretty confident about. And yes, even though you fly 250k miles a year on UA you are still getting that first class seat for free, you don't have an inherent right to it.
If loyalty is so worthless and airlines "always should have" ditched rewarding loyalty in pursuit of transactional income, then why the heck is UA losing money hand over fist?

Oh, maybe those loyal flyers actually made UA more money (despite the occasional "gift" of a first class seat) than the once-a-year flyer buying a TOD, Premier Access, or any of UA's other monetized transactional services.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by bseller
Strawman alert!! NO ONE accused you of doing so. Just sayin.

True, as far as that goes. Financial results paint a not so rosy picture however.

Pray tell, WHICH picture??

Dave
I am not clear what your point is, or if there's a real question in your post.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Is the departure of corporate traffic, which is the actual description UAL has used, the result of integration and operational challenges or because the management team is generally incompetent and hostile to HVF as you allege?

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 27, 2013 at 7:26 pm Reason: merge
Old May 27, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Is the departure of corporate traffic, which is the actual description UAL has used, the result of integration and operational challenges or because the management team is generally incompetent and hostile to HVF as you allege?
Dear Leader Jeff pronounced the operational issues over and done with on the Q312 earnings call, IIRC. So 2 more quarters and change since then, yet UA still isn't making the money it should be with (formerly) world's biggest route network, presence in Tier 1 US cities, etc. So why is that then, if the management team is so experienced and savvy?
Old May 27, 2013, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Any chance 'integration and operational challenges' were caused by 'management incompetence'?

Also, was 'the departure of corporate traffic' the intended outcome? Hard to believe UA management didn't realize that the essence of the FFP wrt to attracting corporate traffic is giving the flyer benefits ( including upgrades ) basically at the cost of his employer. And yet, they 'enhanced' MP nonetheless to significantly reduce benefits.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:33 pm

Welcome to FT.

I notice you joined this month, this is your 3rd post, and you're jumping right into the conversation.

The "actual description" that COdbaUA has used includes mention of loss of corporate traffic and also includes mention of loss of "unmanaged" travelers.

They are on record stating they have lost both the managed and the unmanaged. I'm not sure what that leaves, except for the beloved kettles.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by mitchmu
. . . They are on record stating they have lost both the managed and the unmanaged. I'm not sure what that leaves, except for the beloved kettles.
My concern is that instead of reversing course on many of the recent 'enhancements', UA managements will pretend that everything, including capacity cut, was intended, which will, in turn, result in reduction of the competition and further monopolization of the market, which would mean higher fares for the same service.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by halls120
According to this article from Bloomberg, UA - which has more flights in the NYC-LAX market than any of its competitors - lags badly at attracting passengers willing to pay high fares.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo

So if this market does have people willing to pay for F, it makes one wonder why UA is abandoning this segment.
I have to believe this is limited to the JFK-LAX market, and if so, the gross revenue figures do not paint the whole picture. UA still has higher average fares in the market than DL, VX and B6 (lags AA). At the same time, UA has less capacity than AA/DL by virtue of the outgoing low-density p.s. configuration.

With B6 and VX in the market, JFK-LAX has a robust, high volume economy class component which is separate from the strong premium demand. The new p.s. configuration addresses these issues directly, suiting the present state of the market. Without more Y capacity, UA is clearly leaving a lot of money on the table. In 2005, when the first-generation p.s. product rolled out, this was not the case.

Anyway, without a RASM estimate, we can't extrapolate that assertion from this data.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by burlax
My concern is that instead of reversing course on many of the recent 'enhancements', UA managements will pretend that everything, including capacity cut, was intended, which will, in turn, result in reduction of the competition and further monopolization of the market, which would mean higher fares for the same service.
What's more concerning is the way that they are trying to attract HVFs back -- giving out free GPUs like candy and GS statuses dilute the program as a whole (if it weren't diluted enough). They have to try something different.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:26 pm

I am seeing higher fares SFO-FRA, SFO-KIX, SFO-NRT, and SFO-LIH, for example, than I've ever seen before. And, UA is consistently higher than anyone else on all the particular flights I've looked at.

Something very strange is going on.

One of the things is that they've started turning the screws on "captive" markets. Routes, such as KIX and LIH, where they have the only direct option ex-SFO are as much as 100% higher in price than what was normal under UA, and the same flights are at "normal" levels when the pax starts from another airport and connects through SFO instead of originating through SFO.

On all the flights I have studied, that exhibit this pattern, I'm seeing planes that have very light loads, far lighter than what would have been normal under UA.

It's extremely clear that there is a new strategy, and the strategy seems a lot like it's designed to strangle anyone they deem to be captive.

Will be very interesting to see how this plays out.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:40 pm

Any chance 'integration and operational challenges' were caused by 'management incompetence'?

Also, was 'the departure of corporate traffic' the intended outcome? Hard to believe UA management didn't realize that the essence of the FFP wrt to attracting corporate traffic is giving the flyer benefits ( including upgrades ) basically at the cost of his employer. And yet, they 'enhanced' MP nonetheless to significantly reduce benefits.
Mergers are difficult, particularly for airlines. None of the other recent mergers were without hiccups (though we all have short memories). UAL management could have done better, particularly with the reservation system cut-over and cross-fleeting.

I don't think anyone outside of FlyerTalk believe FFPs are a material factor in attracting or retaining corporate traffic. FFPs exist today to generate cash for the airline from the sale of miles. Corporate traffic is attracted and retained by having the best network and schedule, a competitive product, and operational performance. Many analyst's opinions are based on the UAL's potential to out-deliver its competitors on all three.

Originally Posted by mitchmu
Welcome to FT.

I notice you joined this month, this is your 3rd post, and you're jumping right into the conversation.

The "actual description" that COdbaUA has used includes mention of loss of corporate traffic and also includes mention of loss of "unmanaged" travelers.

They are on record stating they have lost both the managed and the unmanaged. I'm not sure what that leaves, except for the beloved kettles.
Thank you. I've been a lurker for a while and think you may have an axe to grind. I'll be sure to take your posts with a grain of salt.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk.

While no one may like the current management teams at United or other major carriers as a customer, they are among the most experienced and savvy at running a business than any other management team since Crandall left AA.
The recent UA quarterly losses and lackluster quarterly earnings tend to contradict your conclusion. All of the following are excluding special items and are expressed in millions:

1Q2012: (286)
2Q2012: 545
3Q2012: 520
4Q2012: (190) Full year 2012: 589
1Q2013: (325)

The numbers don't paint for me a picture of a savvy management team. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.