Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL 1Q 2013 call/results - Thursday 4/25/13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL 1Q 2013 call/results - Thursday 4/25/13

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by tom911
Don't you think credit card marketing factors in there? UA is still working on me with another 50K offer on the table at home. I must be one of millions of UA flyers at various elite and non-elite levels getting these offers. Once you have that card, aren't you going to focus on UA?
Credit card marketing absolutely factor in with less-frequent, leisure-oriented customers, which is why all of the banks who issue airline credit cards are so aggressive in their marketing.

I don't think many corporate or HVFs make air travel decisions based on branded credit cards.

Originally Posted by YUA-NYC
You'll notice that AA has now beat out UA for the best FFP a couple years in a row now. AA was also projected to lose ~$1B last year, but instead made that much money (proving all the analysts greatly wrong), despite having a FAR worse "hand" than UA. Don't think part of that is due to their now-superior FFP? They don't have the best hard product, by a long shot, on premium routes. They're light to Asia.
I am not sure where you are getting your figures, but AA lost ($1.9B) in 2012, or ($132M) excluding special charges. Yields to Asia are not that great right now and AA has benefited from its limited exposure and dominant market presence in Latin America.

"The New American" will be a great airline with the opportunity to be the dominant North American competitor. Its advantage will be its network and improved hard product - not its FFP.

Originally Posted by BearX220
Sounds like hub myopia, I'm afraid. Outside fortress hubs the majority of domestic markets are one-stop, change-of-plane trips served by multiple carriers. I have about five ways to get from Seattle to Pittsburgh, for example.
All airlines are better off focusing on O&D market share in their hubs than on chasing domestic connections.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fly18725

All airlines are better off focusing on O&D market share in their hubs than on chasing domestic connections.
I wonder how much of DL's relative success has to do with the fact it has at least four captive hubs (ATL, MSP, DTW, SLC).
Old May 28, 2013, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by tom911
I know a few AA flyers in the Bay Area and, like me, they're willing to make the tradeoff of those nonstops for better benefits (things like high domestic upgrade rates and systemwides without buy-ups). We also have a pretty nice lounge at SFO.
I disagree. You have an outstanding lounge at SFO. ^^
Old May 28, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
If FFP programs were a big a driver as some portray, most of the foreign carriers serving the US would be at a disadvantage to their American peers.
Umm, the *only* reason US airlines can stand up to foreign competitors is because of their FFPs.
United had incentives in place to fly UA metal only back in the day, (lifetime BIS, e-500's qualifying was BIS. why else choose united over SQ or NH transpac?

when used properly, a FFP is a very powerful tool

Sure, if an airline is offering the majority of seats on a given route, passengers going on that route will more likely choose them. a good FFP helps the airlines keep traffic that wouldn't automatically choose that airline on a given trip. That traffic is gravy for them. The credit card associated with the FFP keeps (free) cash rolling in year-round even when the customer isn't flying.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by entropy
Umm, the *only* reason US airlines can stand up to foreign competitors is because of their FFPs.
Right. Otherwise we would all be flying SQ, LX, AH, CX, and BA (among others) long-haul. The ability to upgrade internationally is a huge incentive for me personally to stick with UA.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I am not sure where you are getting your figures, but AA lost ($1.9B) in 2012, or ($132M) excluding special charges. Yields to Asia are not that great right now and AA has benefited from its limited exposure and dominant market presence in Latin America.

"The New American" will be a great airline with the opportunity to be the dominant North American competitor. Its advantage will be its network and improved hard product - not its FFP.
Correction - revenue figures...IIRC, it was projected to come in $2B less than 2011, but instead came in $900MM higher...that's the $3B gap I was thinking of.

Horton did wonders with a crap hand, and $misek was handed the golden egg and made mincemeat with it.

By the way, where are you based and who was your airline pre-merger? I have a working theory of course.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was making a general statement about the current management at major airlines compared to previous management at major airlines. By historical US airline standards, UAL is doing awesome.
If Smisek is "doing awesome" in 2012 and thus far in 2013, then what adjective would describe Anderson, Horton and Parker, all of whom increased yields and unit revenue more than did Smisek last year?

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Correction - revenue figures...IIRC, it was projected to come in $2B less than 2011, but instead came in $900MM higher...that's the $3B gap I was thinking of.
That's correct. The day after AA filed for Ch 11 protection, the cabal of Wall St analysts were unanimous in predicting that AMR would shrink by at least 10% and that UA, DL and US would pick up that revenue (at least $2.4 billion).

By year end, AMR had shrunk a couple of percent but had increased its total revenues by almost $900 million compared to 2011. So in effect, the analysts had underestimated AMR's revenue by over $3 billion. Whoopsie!

DL and US both had a very good 2012, so it appears that they picked up some of the revenue that fled UAL.

How did "awesome" UAL do in 2012? Total revenues were up by $42 million. TODs, treating elites as "overentitled," failures to integrate the computer systems and other skirmishes with UAL's most loyal customers failed to increase revenues. AA, in its first year in Ch 11, on the other hand, picked up some of those loyal UAL customers and managed to grow revenues by nearly $900 million.

In my book, Smisek gets a C-. Horton earned an A-. Anderson earned an A+.
Old May 28, 2013, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Wow. Writing off a lot of the country with a strategy like that. Hard to fill up those planes with only home city traffic...there goes the network and frequency.
Old May 28, 2013, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Wow. Writing off a lot of the country with a strategy like that. Hard to fill up those planes with only home city traffic...there goes the network and frequency.
Agreed - worked for PMCO, but clearly not for the combined airline.
Old May 28, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Hard to fill up those planes with only home city traffic...there goes the network and frequency.
If it were true that "all airlines are better off focusing on O&D market traffic," Virgin America would be making money and UA's vaunted network wouldn't be Talking Point #1 on Wacker Street. VX is a failed experiment because it lacks connecting traffic / throughput, a comprehensive network, robust frequencies, and a useful FF program.

Agree that part of the CO strategy was to put the screws to captive hub customers but they also set a good across-the-board service standard, treated elites well, and served the whole country. I was happy CO Plat for years and never lived in a CO hub.
Old May 28, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Agreed - worked for PMCO, but clearly not for the combined airline.
Pre-merger, CO primarily viewed the domestic network as a means of delivering traffic to the international system. International flights were often 50-60% flow traffic vs. local, even routes such as EWR-Europe. For whatever reason, accounting or otherwise, CO's domestic network was never profitable, but the international side made the company a lot of money over the years, and not all of the traffic was local.

This isn't a losing strategy per se, but with United's stronger presence in the few existing high-yield domestic markets, we should be seeing better results.
Old May 28, 2013, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
As a long-time 1K and as a banker that works with many airline customers, I've read the recurring threads critiquing financial results with much amusement. I am not Hunter Keay, but I have great respect for his experience and track-record. No analyst is perfect and it seems a bit childish to selectively quoting and attacking another person's work product without providing any substantive counter-point.

Perhaps you could tell us how much experience you have running an airline.

While no one may like the current management teams at United or other major carriers as a customer, they are among the most experienced and savvy at running a business than any other management team since Crandall left AA.
New guy comes in posts in defense of UA management, claims to be a 1K, no details are provided. If I had a buck for every-time I've seen this post 3/3 I would be rich!

Pointing out what Hunter Keay said about UA, and how it has not exactly been timely good advice, is not a cheap shot. Aren't people on the street supposed to be judged by their results? Are we grading on a curve? Hunter has been a cheerleader for UA management, and EVERY SINGLE US based competitor has done better financially and in stock market appreciation post the 3/3/12 cut over.

And oh, if you think its childish on my part. Well I posted what Hunter said, if you care to explain how post 3/3/12 his calls about UA have been the best around (or even half decent) go ahead, post away... We are not grading on a curve here.

And if you think UAs management team is "the most savvy" then how come everyone else is doing much better? Even AA (with a war with pilots and major network and fleet issues) is blowing their doors off in revenue growth. Even UA supporters here have admitted that their appears to be absolutely no plan. UA can clearly spreadsheet out the short term cost savings, but so far have been utterly inept at figuring out how it long term impacts revenue. Given the much higher costs that are coming down the pike, thats not a good place to be.

I didn't say the UAL management team was perfect and no one said the most loyal and valuable flyers have been run off.

There have been plenty of mistakes made at UAL, but the picture painted on FlyerTalk about the airline business is far from accurate/rational/relevant.
So far the talk on FT about UAs revenue issues has been far more accurate than anything any analyist I know has talked about, certainly we have done better than Hunter

As others pointed out UA has explained its horrible yeild/PRASM and overall revenue growth figures as the result of booking away by "corporate traffic" and "frequent fliers." They said on the 3Q 2012 call that the problem was fixed, they would come back. So far little sign of that though...

Is the departure of corporate traffic, which is the actual description UAL has used, the result of integration and operational challenges or because the management team is generally incompetent and hostile to HVF as you allege?
On this thread, and others, this very question has been much discussed. I argued in the summer and fall that operational performance was still an issue. But UA has been running what it has now claimed for NINE months is a good opperation. So people are not booking away for that reason, so something else is going on. I think its poor service levels AND changes to the upgrade system, but I can't prove it, other than via the stories I have now heard from well over 200 people on why they are flying UA less. Poor soft product, bad treatment in IRROPS, Boarding process, small RJs, and lack up upgrades lead the list. Although some folks are going to jump ship as CH 9 goes away.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Welcome to Flyertalk.

The recent UA quarterly losses and lackluster quarterly earnings tend to contradict your conclusion. All of the following are excluding special items and are expressed in millions:

1Q2012: (286)
2Q2012: 545
3Q2012: 520
4Q2012: (190) Full year 2012: 589
1Q2013: (325)

The numbers don't paint for me a picture of a savvy management team. YMMV.
Thanks, the best arguments are these numbers, which look even worse once Merger Related Synergies they gained are considered (which shows they lost even more traffic than these numbers would indicate).

I was making a general statement about the current management at major airlines compared to previous management at major airlines. By historical US airline standards, UAL is doing awesome.
That is a silly basis for comparison, and if you are a banker (at least one who did not lose $50B ) You know that. You claimed UA had "amoung the most savvy management." so why is DL, AS, AA (in improvement), US, WN, etc blowing their doors off?

If FFP programs were a big a driver as some portray, most of the foreign carriers serving the US would be at a disadvantage to their American peers.
I am going to credit you with not seriously believing this. People in those foreign countries are not going to join MP or Advantage, they join their home country programs. Most of these carriers don't have competition domestically that they need a FF program to distinguish them. What they need is a program that is not so junky that they are not competitive given their (generally) higher service levels. American carriers are obviously highly competitive for much traffic, hence FF programs driving traffic.

Plus, it has obviously worked well for AA and for PMUA, and also for a carrier like AS which has a good program.

I don't think the concept of loyalty is dead; however, I don't think the majority of airline passengers are going to have FFP as a primary driver in the decision making process.

Outside on flights to from ORD or LAX, I don't think there are too many markets where there is 'perfect competition.' On most other domestic routes, one carrier will probably have a superior product or schedule. Most passengers will gravitate towards the airline that offers the best network, product, and operational performance on the majority of routes they travel.
First, no one said that a majority of passangers are FF program driven, they are not. What has been said is that some traffic (and in particular those with a high status level) is driven by them. Clearly if you are IAH based, the program is not going to drive your traffic, but it matters (all aspects, including upgrades) if you are based someplace that has competition.

Going from 6 trad'l majors to 3, where they ALL have a great route network and can get you anywhere, I'd argue the FFP is more important than before.

You'll notice that AA has now beat out UA for the best FFP a couple years in a row now. AA was also projected to lose ~$1B last year, but instead made that much money (proving all the analysts greatly wrong), despite having a FAR worse "hand" than UA. Don't think part of that is due to their now-superior FFP? They don't have the best hard product, by a long shot, on premium routes. They're light to Asia.
Good example, AS has also done well.

US on the other hand lost PRASM/yeild when it gutted its program, and UA so far ain't doing so hot. But, DL is somewhat of an exception with difficult redemption.. But, it offers some major countervailing benifits in (1) the best OT performance by far, (2) improved and very good soft product, (3) good CS for elites, and (4) great domestic upgrade percentages.

And VX, well their program is not so hot, perhaps part of their problem in attracting travelers, it certainly effects my willingness to buy.

Well UA is certainly focused on that at EWR Time will tell how well that works out for them.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I wonder how much of DL's relative success has to do with the fact it has at least four captive hubs (ATL, MSP, DTW, SLC).
It helps, BUT, and its a big but, they had these hubs when they were underperforming their competitors, so something else is causing them to outperform their competitors. DL management says its offering better service levels.
I have no reason to doubt them at this point.

Horton did wonders with a crap hand, and $misek was handed the golden egg and made mincemeat with it.

By the way, where are you based and who was your airline pre-merger? I have a working theory of course.
Yup. Yup.

If Smisek is "doing awesome" in 2012 and thus far in 2013, then what adjective would describe Anderson, Horton and Parker, all of whom increased yields and unit revenue more than did Smisek last year?

That's correct. The day after AA filed for Ch 11 protection, the cabal of Wall St analysts were unanimous in predicting that AMR would shrink by at least 10% and that UA, DL and US would pick up that revenue (at least $2.4 billion).

By year end, AMR had shrunk a couple of percent but had increased its total revenues by almost $900 million compared to 2011. So in effect, the analysts had underestimated AMR's revenue by over $3 billion. Whoopsie!

DL and US both had a very good 2012, so it appears that they picked up some of the revenue that fled UAL.

How did "awesome" UAL do in 2012? Total revenues were up by $42 million. TODs, treating elites as "overentitled," failures to integrate the computer systems and other skirmishes with UAL's most loyal customers failed to increase revenues. AA, in its first year in Ch 11, on the other hand, picked up some of those loyal UAL customers and managed to grow revenues by nearly $900 million.

In my book, Smisek gets a C-. Horton earned an A-. Anderson earned an A+.
Given the advantages they each had, I give Horton an A+, Anderson an A, and Smisek a D-. UA has a better route network than either carrier, the best CS reputation (on the PMCO side), a newer simpler fleet, better placement in top business markets, and should have then gotten a major synergy boost off the merger. Only a "savvy" management team could have done so poorly with such major advantages.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
United had incentives in place to fly UA metal only back in the day, (lifetime BIS, e-500's qualifying was BIS. why else choose united over SQ or NH transpac?

when used properly, a FFP is a very powerful tool

Sure, if an airline is offering the majority of seats on a given route, passengers going on that route will more likely choose them. a good FFP helps the airlines keep traffic that wouldn't automatically choose that airline on a given trip. That traffic is gravy for them. The credit card associated with the FFP keeps (free) cash rolling in year-round even when the customer isn't flying.
I agree FFP and their credit cards are very important to airlines; they’re just not a primary driver in the purchase decision for corporate and high-value customers.

I give AA's management team credit for doing a good job reorganizing the company, but I think your methodology for judging revenue performance is a bit off base.

I am a 1K today. I don't know what my past or location has to do with the discussion.

I believe I’ve made favorable comments regarding the management teams of all U.S. major carriers. Since each of the four legacy airlines are at very different stages of the merger and integration process, it isn’t accurate to draw direct comparisons them against each other.

There is a lot of middle ground between focusing on one market segment and writing off all other market segments. The most lucrative traffic is O&D and international connections, particularly since the network and product provide a larger competitive advantage for these customers. Domestic connections will always help fill the seats, but why would you focus on folks who are effectively competing every U.S. airline against each other on price.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Since each of the four legacy airlines are at very different stages of the merger and integration process, it isn’t accurate to draw direct comparisons them against each other.
:-: A point often (conveniently) forgotten here.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
New guy comes in posts in defense of UA management, claims to be a 1K, no details are provided. If I had a buck for every-time I've seen this post 3/3 I would be rich!
I've already said I'm a banker working with airlines. There aren't a lot of us and geographic details could shed more light on who I might be than I am comfortable with.

Pointing out what Hunter Keay said about UA, and how it has not exactly been timely good advice, is not a cheap shot. Aren't people on the street supposed to be judged by their results? Are we grading on a curve? Hunter has been a cheerleader for UA management, and EVERY SINGLE US based competitor has done better financially and in stock market appreciation post the 3/3/12 cut over.
Calling an independent analyst a "cheerleader" is a very cheap shot, particularly when the analysis used to support your position was pretty rudimentary.

And oh, if you think its childish on my part. Well I posted what Hunter said, if you care to explain how post 3/3/12 his calls about UA have been the best around (or even half decent) go ahead, post away... We are not grading on a curve here.
No analyst is perfect and they definitely hear about it when there are misses.

And if you think UAs management team is "the most savvy" then how come everyone else is doing much better? Even AA (with a war with pilots and major network and fleet issues) is blowing their doors off in revenue growth. Even UA supporters here have admitted that their appears to be absolutely no plan. UA can clearly spreadsheet out the short term cost savings, but so far have been utterly inept at figuring out how it long term impacts revenue. Given the much higher costs that are coming down the pike, thats not a good place to be.
I said the current management teams (plural) at the major airlines (plural) are the most savvy in years. Most investors and professional analysts are savvy enough to know that the merger and integration of multi-billion dollar global companies is difficult and time consuming and that the legacy carriers are at different steps in the process. Did UA's management under-deliver in 2012? Absolutely. At the same time, they are dealing with a s*** load of headwinds and are not the incompetent failures some like to portray them as.

So far the talk on FT about UAs revenue issues has been far more accurate than anything any analyist I know has talked about, certainly we have done better than Hunter

As others pointed out UA has explained its horrible yeild/PRASM and overall revenue growth figures as the result of booking away by "corporate traffic" and "frequent fliers." They said on the 3Q 2012 call that the problem was fixed, they would come back. So far little sign of that though...
"Revenue issues" and "horrible yields" are pretty big exaggerations. You may also want to revisit PRASM performance for Q4 and Q1.

That is a silly basis for comparison, and if you are a banker (at least one who did not lose $50B ) You know that. You claimed UA had "amoung the most savvy management." so why is DL, AS, AA (in improvement), US, WN, etc blowing their doors off?
Why do older children do better at sports than younger children?

I am going to credit you with not seriously believing this. People in those foreign countries are not going to join MP or Advantage, they join their home country programs. Most of these carriers don't have competition domestically that they need a FF program to distinguish them. What they need is a program that is not so junky that they are not competitive given their (generally) higher service levels. American carriers are obviously highly competitive for much traffic, hence FF programs driving traffic.
If FFPs are so important, why do foreign carriers have larger market shares on most routes to/from the US where they compete directly against US carriers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.