Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
I am flying on LH, but the ticket was not issued by LH; it is a code share. May I use a paper GPU?

Yes, the terms and conditions printed on the paper GPU are explicit on this point. Note that starting in 2014, when PQD-based elite qualification starts for 2015, flights on LH metal but not on UA 016 ticket stock earn zero PQDs, so we hope these terms and conditions continue.

How soon should I attempt to request to be added to the upgrade wait list (aka as the grading list)?

Because LH policy is to not upgrade a pax if there are not enough meals for that cabin, and because catering, even in FRA, requires as much as three hours notice, you should plan to present your request 3.5 hours before the flight departs.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC, how many GPUs do I need?

Two.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can I be added to the upgrade list for BBB-CCC?

Policy says no. There have been exceptions reported.

Can I be added to the upgrade list over the phone?

Policy says no.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. When I check in at AAA, can the LH people there alert catering in BBB that I intend to upgrade BBB-CCC?

Policy says yes. In practice, it rarely works. There have been exceptions reported.

I am traveling from AAA-BBB-CCC. AAA-BBB is not LH metal, BBB-CCC is LH metal. When I arrive in BBB there won't be any LH people airside to request addition to the grading list. What should I do?

Exit the airside area of BBB 3.5 hours before the next LH flight from BBB departs and head to the LH check in counter.

I have reserved a special meal. May I use a GPU and eat my special meal?

Policy says no. A special meal will prevent you from being upgraded.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL or FCT?

Yes.

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the LH FCL?

Yes.

As a pax departing in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

Yes if not departing from IAD. In IAD you may be directed to the LH Senators Lounge , which is contrary to the Star Alliance lounge access policy and may not be official; see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html .

As a pax arriving in F on LH metal may I use the UA GFL?

No.

If I am connecting in a station that has an FCT, and I am departing on LH metal in F, may I use the FCT?

Yes.

What are my chances upgrading from J to F on LH metal?

In general, very good. The earlier you try, the better.

If I go to the airport the night before departure, can I be added to the grading list?

Policy says no, but there have been exceptions reported, such as someone who has an overnight layover.

If I go to the airport the day of departure, but before I am ready to check bags, can I be added to upgrade list?

Yes.

I am traveling on a fare class that is not explicitly listed as permitted or prohibited on the paper GPU. May I use my GPU?

If the fare class prices out to less than any one of the prohibited fare classes, then assume no.
If the fare class prices out to more than any one of the permitted_ fare classes, then assume yes.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be present when the upgraded is requested?

No.

Does the person who sponsored the upgrade have to be traveling on the same flight?

No.

Do I call the 1K desk or the MileagePlus service center to get a paper GPU?

The latter. If you try the former, it is likely the 1K agent will confuse this request with a Star Alliance upgrade request, and then tell you that your fare class is prohibited. Keep in mind that outside of M+, few UA employees have ever seen a paper GPU for use on LH.

What is the number of the MileagePlus service center?

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/mileageplus/contact.aspx .

Or call the GS/1K phone line and select the "MileagePlus Servicing" option.

I called that the MileagePlus service center and the agent had no idea what I was talking about.

Call again.

The new policy requiring the paper GPU certificate to match an LH flight number and pax name means I cannot have any "on hand" when flying a TATL on UA metal to and from Germany in case of irrops and rebooked to LH metal, right?

According to new policy, correct. However, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20728446-post248.html documents a case where the LH employee only cared about the pax name on the GPU matching the name on the ticket.

Are flights operated by Privatair dba LH eligible to use a LH GPU Certificate?

According to, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21655941-post362.html, yes.
Print Wikipost

Update to Lufthansa (LH) GPU Certificate Request Process

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum/MM, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hilton HHonors Gold
Based on all I have been reading...

I'm looking into flights FLR-XXX-NYC. Can connect via MUC or FRA... trying to connect to one of the flights later in the day so I can enjoy the morning in FLR, however it results in connections of just about an hour either way unless I take a morning flight from FLR that gives me a 4+ hour layover (negating the point of sticking around to enjoy the AM).

That said, based on what I am reading, am I kidding myself to think I'll be able to redeem a paper cert on one of the above flights to NYC with an hour layover? If I don't get lucky in FLR and have someone put me on the grading list there for my connecting flight to NYC, will my connection be too tight to give me a chance for an upgrade?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A 60-70 min connection in FRA means you basically run from one gate to another and thank god you made it, especially since FLR arrivals are usually a bus gate. In MUC you will have a more leisurely experience and have enough time to ask for the upgrade at the gate, but only for Y to C. F catering needs to be checked at T-90min latest.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum/MM, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
A 60-70 min connection in FRA means you basically run from one gate to another and thank god you made it, especially since FLR arrivals are usually a bus gate. In MUC you will have a more leisurely experience and have enough time to ask for the upgrade at the gate, but only for Y to C. F catering needs to be checked at T-90min latest.
Thanks for the feedback- will definitely take the MUC connection in that case. No issue with catering from Y to C cutting it that close on the connection?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by JDS@LAX
No issue with catering from Y to C cutting it that close on the connection?
Nah, for that they don't bother with the catering. The system displays the loads and how much they are catered for, usually its surplus for C.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM; AS; GP D; HH D
When I did the level G to level H transfer at MUC (coming in from FLR and departing to IAH) recently, it was excellent - automated passport control. I was in the lounge 5 minutes after getting off the bus.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Question: does anyone know if the Senator lounge in IAD is able to add people to the grading list using a GPU? I am connecting through Dulles on Sunday and would prefer not to head all the way back through security to request an upgrade.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:29 pm

Yes, they have access to the system.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
They could surely call to have that done - so far all lounges were able to get me on the list.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the replies! I'll roll the dice and see what happens.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I'm flying an some LH flights next month. VIE-FRA-DEN. I know the VIE-FRA is a lost cause. I need to get a paper GPU for the FRA-DEN, I see. Will I be able to apply my GPU when I check in at VIE, or will I have to wait until I get to FRA? I have a 2:45 layover before the FRA-DEN flight.

I'm a 1K on a U-class fare, but it is a Friday flight. Hazard any guesses as to my chances?

Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:07 am

VIE can't do anything for you, FRA is the place the process starts. Loads can be guesstimated here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ds-thread.html
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
VIE can't do anything for you, FRA is the place the process starts. Loads can be guesstimated here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ds-thread.html
so AMS-FRA-BOS w/ 1hr in FRA I am SOL w/ a 1 hr connection? Nothing AMS could do like inform FRA I want to UG to F with a GPU?
Hope the new online system is coming soon ...
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:31 am

Outstations have very limited access to the checkin system so they can't access the grading list for flights departing FRA due to missing authorisation. They can send a message to the flight manager of the FRA-BOS flight. A 60 min connection in FRA is very tight, they will most likely not give you the upgrade to F if catering is missing and you show up 15 min before doors close.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: UA MM, SPG LT Plat,
last minute flight

anyway to get a UA ticket counter to print out the GPU for LH flights? Or do I have to get it from Mileage Plus central office?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by sylaw72
anyway to get a UA ticket counter to print out the GPU for LH flights? Or do I have to get it from Mileage Plus central office?
The printer is in the United OPC in Elk Grove Village, IL. The ticket counters don't have the paper cert stock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.