United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 22, 18, 5:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United Premier Silver Status

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Platinum members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in (<21 days) MileagePlus award ticket: $50
Making a change to an award ticket 21 or more days prior to date of departure: Free
Making a change to an award ticket less than 21 days prior to date of departure: $50
Redepositing miles when canceling an award ticket or Upgrade Award: $125

Unpublished Benefits

(Anything worth noting? Please help fill this out.)

FAQ

Q: Where can I learn more about Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU)?
A: Visit this page.

Q: What are the odds I will be able to get an Economy Plus (E+) seat?
A: For most domestic routes, the odds are very, very good you will get an E+ seat. Will it be a window or aisle seat? Maybe, maybe not. For international routes, the odds decrease depending on the popularity of the route, plus the willingness of other passengers (elite and otherwise) to pre-purchase E+ seats in order to guarantee the extra legroom.

Q: If I have more than one flight, when I check in for the first flight @ T-24, can I select my E+ seats for the other flights (even if > T-24)?
A:
Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Platinum Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Platinum Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 4, 13, 6:36 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
In all honesty if I had that upcoming trip I'd keep my eyes out for a decent mileage run to get me the 2,000 EQMS before I took the trip to SYD. Lounge access at IAD and SFO, guaranteed E+ and a theoretical shot at an op-up would be worth a few hundred dollars for the MR.
+1 if you have the time before the SYD trip.
LH Lounge at IAD would make it even more worth it.
Old Jun 4, 13, 10:22 am
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
To be fair, not quite a similar query. :-)

Nothing will happen differently at your connection, as it takes the same days for the miles to post for your Gold to be effective. So no lounges, no better upgrade status - but there are no complimentary upgrades SFO-SYD anyway.

My suggestion - and it's a big YMMV. Ask UA MP if they'll grant you Gold a few days early before you fly. It used to be more common pre-merger.

The other option, of course, is buying 2,000 PQMs and RDMs. Will cost you ~$260 to $320. But you'll get the 50% Gold Bonus, a much better chance on the IAD-SFO upgrade (though a very elite-heavy route), three free bags (x 70 lbs), ability to pick E+ for you and a friend now, and lounge access.
Thank you for that suggestion. I gave it a try but no luck. Thanks anyway
Old Jun 4, 13, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAD22066 View Post
That's a shame. I'd look into the possibility of a quick MR if I were you (as the poster above noted). Something like BWI/DCA-EWR/PHL-BUF/ROC and back - done in a few hours. Just be careful to avoid US Shuttle flights (no 500 minimums). It really is worth it to be Gold before a TPAC flight.
Old Jun 4, 13, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
So, now with the annual E+ option being back is there any benefit to being a Silver?
Old Jun 4, 13, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by IAD22066 View Post
Try a couple more times, and then write to them.
Old Jun 4, 13, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, Emerald Club.
Originally Posted by ACVBear View Post
So, now with the annual E+ option being back is there any benefit to being a Silver?
I think it will make it even more difficult for silvers to get E+ seats at T-24.
Old Jun 5, 13, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mathgeek1978 View Post
I think it will make it even more difficult for silvers to get E+ seats at T-24.
4 of my 6 legs over past two weeks have been spent in E-. At T-24 on these full flights, only E+ middle avail and I preferred keeping the E- aisle. I never had a problem until recently.

Silver was fine when traveling alone and it was great to score E+ and the random upgrade (hitting 40%). It has been disappointing as of late, especially having a non-status companion with me more often.

Impatiently waiting for my last two legs to post to move into gold.
Old Jun 5, 13, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by leler85 View Post
4 of my 6 legs over past two weeks have been spent in E-. At T-24 on these full flights, only E+ middle avail and I preferred keeping the E- aisle. I never had a problem until recently.

Silver was fine when traveling alone and it was great to score E+ and the random upgrade (hitting 40%). It has been disappointing as of late, especially having a non-status companion with me more often.

Impatiently waiting for my last two legs to post to move into gold.
Have you tried checking once an hour, or setting an EF alert?
Old Jun 5, 13, 8:15 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold Plus
Originally Posted by mgcsinc View Post
A little nitpick: flight time is not take-off time, it's push-back time.
I will nitpick even further. It's actually not push back time, but the time the door is to be closed. How many times have you sat on a flight in which they closed the door and you sat at the gate not moving for an eternity.
Old Jun 5, 13, 10:46 am

thanks for the information, although now with UA selling the E+ package chances might be slim for upgrading to even an E+ seat.
Old Jun 5, 13, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by sbanj View Post
thanks for the information, although now with UA selling the E+ package chances might be slim for upgrading to even an E+ seat.
For reasons discussed elsewhere, UA selling annual E+ is very unlikely to cause any problems. Getting E+ is easy for the diligent Silver on the vast majority of flights, and will remain that way.
Old Jun 5, 13, 2:42 pm

Programs: United Silver, Emerald Exec, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc View Post
For reasons discussed elsewhere, UA selling annual E+ is very unlikely to cause any problems. Getting E+ is easy for the diligent Silver on the vast majority of flights, and will remain that way.
Just have to be willing to check the seat map online and on app often...people move around...change flights...get upgraded...it can be had on the vast majority of flights if you try
Old Jun 14, 13, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA1k,AA Plat,HH Diamond
Just got an upgrade from ewr-san tomorrow night on a 738...pretty amazing as a silver if you ask me, even for a Saturday night flight.

Sdstudent
Old Jun 15, 13, 7:49 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by rurouni212 View Post
Upgrades are very few and far between to say the least.
I just got upgraded on four flights in a row. Two CPUs, including one at the gate, and two instant upgrades due to rebooking in Y/B (a new ticket was issued) during IRROPS.

On a mileage run, no less.
Old Jun 19, 13, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
First real trip as a Premier Silver this year (IE no upgrades at all).

PHX-EWR A-320: No problems getting E+ at T-24 (even got 21A, the exit row window that reclines ). No line at security as this was a redeye. Inbound aircraft was late and there were a lot of gate lice to go through, in fact I don't think the new boarding ropes made much difference. Also, a lot of confusion due to people who had started the day on US and still had US BPs with no group numbers on it. I ended up 7/10 on the upgrade list which isn't too humiliating.

EWR-RIC ERJ-145: A wasn't able to get 12A (exit row single seat) but I could have had 12C or 1A (bulkhead) so that was good. Easy flight, no problem boarding with seating 2.

Easy trip and one I'm glad I didn't pay for E+ on

Search this Thread