Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow... FA's treat people like idiots in Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow... FA's treat people like idiots in Y

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bseller
A CAREFUL read of my post will show that I didn't make any such assertion. Your profile showing your location as EWR was my first clue.

It has to do with this airlines' "new" attitude that the once a year flyer is the same as the GS. I think it's foolish beyond the pale, but apparently it worked for an airline hubbed at mid sized fortresses. Who am I to disagree??
Dave
Actually, when it comes to ensuring that everyone has equal space in bins and an equal shot at a reasonably comfortable flying experience, everyone IS the same. That is actually an old attitude, not a new one.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by rajsbasi
IMO we should be congratulating the FA for a job well done!
^

if only all FA's were serious about enforcing the 'one up-one down "rule"', boarding would go quicker, people would carry less onboard, and the boarding process might have some tiny chance of actually working.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by IFlyHarder
Actually, when it comes to ensuring that everyone has equal space in bins and an equal shot at a reasonably comfortable flying experience, everyone IS the same.
Ok, I give up. Everyone's the same. SWU's for everyone next, right?? Free checked bags for 1KMM flyers, same as the Priceline kettle, right??
Not sure why you see "bright lines" on only some issues, but to each their own.

Dave
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
It's the "rules for everyone else but me" mentality which is ruining this airline.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
It's the "rules for everyone else but me" mentality which is ruining this airline.
IMO, it is the " everyone is totally equal " mentality that has ruined this airline.

I'm shocked that you haven't yet abrogated your Marriott status, or your car rental status either.
Don't you feel badly getting things that others don't ??

Dave
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Ironic that I've read this threat immediately prior to boarding a flight on which the pax in 2A took the whole row 3 compartment just because he and his gf/wife literally ran to board the plane first in group 2. So, now I'm in 3C and have nowhere to stow my laptop (my only carry-on) but in row 4 compartment. So, I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for the OP.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by ddrost1
^

if only all FA's were serious about enforcing the 'one up-one down "rule"', boarding would go quicker, people would carry less onboard, and the boarding process might have some tiny chance of actually working.
Then, United won't be able to sell priority boarding since everyone will get their space.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:57 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by N1120A
The only time putting 2 bag in the overhead is acceptable is if you are in a bulkhead. Period.
Or if you're chivalrously toting one belonging to someone else on
the flight, as was apparently the case here. In which case be
prepared to explain yourself.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMO, it is the " everyone is totally equal " mentality that has ruined this airline.
Dave
Yes. What a horrible concept for an U.S. based airline to have!

What truths do you hold to be "self-evident"?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kale73
What truths do you hold to be "self-evident"?
In the military, it's referred to as "RHIP". In flying circles, it's called "elite status".
In my opinion, it is nothing more than a service business doing what it can to make things easier/faster/better/simpler - on it's best customers.
I know that many here disagree. That's fine, but I am still curious how many of these egalitarians have renounced their status??

I'll believe it when I see it. Till then, it's just a bunch of limousine liberals denouncing rich folks as far as I can tell.

Dave
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold

I'm shocked that you haven't yet abrogated your Marriott status, or your car rental status either.
Don't you feel badly getting things that others don't ??

Dave
I don't feel bad about those - I'm playing by the rules.

I'm still unclear why GS should be exempted from the one above/one below rule? If they should be, that should be a stated benefit
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

I'm still unclear why GS should be exempted from the one above/one below rule? If they should be, that should be a stated benefit
I agree completely. Elites should enjoy benefits, but those benefits must be stated in the rules. Once the rules are set, they should be adhered to - no exceptions.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm glad that you can at least "appreciate" elite status.

Now, take a moment - if you can, and let me now where you think I've advocated exemption from rules??
I simply believe that the number of pax who store two bags above is virtually limitless. Furthermore, if you're going to bark (TSA style) at pax -- PLEASE do your best not to do so at high value pax.

That's my point. And has been throughout this thread.
Dave
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:18 pm

Is it actually a rule? It doesn't appear to be. It sure seems like UA could help its FAs and GAs by making it such -- one carry on of appropriate size and one personal item only if you put it under the seat in front of you (or it is of size to fit under a seat for bulkhead passengers).
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by lkar
Is it actually a rule? It doesn't appear to be. It sure seems like UA could help its FAs and GAs by making it such -- one carry on of appropriate size and one personal item only if you put it under the seat in front of you (or it is of size to fit under a seat for bulkhead passengers).
No, but there is also no rule that says you can't put your roll-aboard sideways even if it fits vertically, and there is no rule that says you can't lay your jacket on the bottom of the overhead or otherwise take up more space than necessary and blocking other people from putting their stuff there too. It's called common courtesy, and it's somewhat of an implicit rule.

There is, however, a rule that you can only have 1 carry-on + 1 personal item, and some airlines have specifications that a personal item can only have certain dimensions (which also happens to be dimensions that fit under the seat). I don't think UA specifically does, but a general rule of personal item = "fits under the seat" is reasonable and one can say that it is implied by the restrictions they do have on what counts as a personal item..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.