Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow... FA's treat people like idiots in Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow... FA's treat people like idiots in Y

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by DCDreaming
"People in first are the absolute worst about this."

Absolutely, but few on here will say it.
It is worse with F but it is really bad all over. Everyone is in for themselves.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Cargojon
If you think the FA treats people in coach poorly, you should see how Y pax get treated on FT
Still better than an FO on DL.

To the OP: chill.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by PHLyer82
This is the attitude that is killing you in this thread. You act like taking a Y seat on an earlier flight so you could get home before a hurricane is an act of kindness or generosity on your part. It is not, but a nice perk you have/earned as a 1K.
It was the fashion in which the FA addressed the situation to me and everyone else. she didnt even ask if one of the bags belonged to my fiance. she likely didnt even know if I was traveling with someone or not. she came at me aggressively and therefore I remarked back.

And I throw in the towel!

Lesson learned....

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen

Is it really possible to fly three hundred thousand miles in mostly-F within 21 months and still not make GS?
I did 350,000 - 2 years in a row and didn't make GS either year!
Yep, because they only look at major spends!!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:22 pm

You expect the FA to ask if the bag belongs to your fiance.. and in the next breath admit she wouldn't know who you were travelling with (if anyone)...

Huh? Why didn't you just tell her? When she "came at you aggressively" might just have been a good time... doncha think?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by avi8tir
it was quite a contrast to the (normally) acceptable service in F. This whole scenario seems to happen every time I end up flying Y.
This is what bugs me. As someone sits in 1st more often than not, I am always blown away by the number of briefcase/laptop bags in the overhead bin. This often causes at least one 1st class passenger to have to take their normal size carry on suitcase back to Coach and swim upstream after landing to retrieve it. If you have a small bag, put it under your seat. The only people with small bags up top should be row 1, but I see way more than 4 on a very regular basis.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

Lesson learned....
We can all hope so. You seem to have enjoyed playing the victim, when it's pretty obvious in about 99% of replies you were the perpetrator!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Look, dude, I'm only 95% taking the F/A's side on this one. There really is never an acceptable excuse for unprofessional/non-courteous behavior. That being said, she was just doing her job and (bluntly) ensuring that the rules were followed. Obviously, she realized that she was not the most diplomatic about it, so she gave you two drinks free of charge. I don't care how pissy an F/A gets during boarding with me; if they comp me some drinks as a peace offering (or do anything else to make it up), they get a gold star in my book. So many times, I've had unapologetic, grouchy F/As who are mean to pax the whole flight and don't seem to care. So, during the rare occasion when the F/A realizes they're in the wrong, checks their ego at the door and comes back to make amends, I always accept with open arms. After all, why not? Forgive, forget, enjoy being home. The end.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:07 pm

Lesson learned....
No need to capitulate and give up your views.
Seriously, as soon as you posted your thread you were asking for it. Not saying that you were wrong, however you probably should have thought things through a little more before forming an opinion about your experience and then sharing it with others.

For example --- You were very lucky to get 2 seats out of the storm area and get home safely.
You weren't able to sit in F/C as you are used to normally do and as such you needed to go along with the rules, like everyone else in steerage. One bag up top and one below and if the second one doesn't fit you were supposed to gate check it. Dem's da rules! The F/A was only doing what she was instructed to do, and she did't know that just because you boarded before everyone else that you were entitled to do what you thought you had gotten away with nearly every time you flew and that you were a 1K, which by the way doesn't mean squat when you have a seat in coach. Secondly, it was very nice of her to give you FREE drinks and she probably did so as a result of your demeanor when you were instructed to place your bag under the seat in front of you.

Not ragging on you, man, however you were very lucky to get home before the storm, and frankly I would never, ever, beef someone that bought me a drink or two!
Just sayin'!!!

I'm sorry, but if I am on an A fare and voluntarily take a Y seat, damn right Im going to secure my space.
You voluntarily took a Y seat to get your a$$ out of New York before a hurricane hit. Your secure space was in Houston, pal, and "A" fares don't mean squat when it's, "Head for the Hills", on one of the last flights out of Dodge!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 29, 2012 at 9:26 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist

Definitely not a DYKWIA person... Im one of those people who avidly supports the FA's and backs them up when people are being out of line or rude.

I'm sorry, but if I am on an A fare and voluntarily take a Y seat, damn right Im going to secure my space.

And my point was how rudely the flight attendant was addressing me AND others. To the point that my fiance, myself and even the person sitting next to my fiance (she said she was 1K) all commented on the fact of how unprofessional the FA was.

So, you have a 1K a Platinum and a 1K making an observation and agreeing on the situation.

Guess you had to be there... sheesh!
You said earlier you are definately not a DYKWIA person, but here you totally talk like one.

With this kind of atitude, I could actually see you are the person being rude and not the FA, you said the FA rude is probably only because she wouldn't let you have your way.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Oct 29, 2012 at 9:17 pm
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Look, dude, I'm only 95% taking the F/A's side on this one. There really is never an acceptable excuse for unprofessional/non-courteous behavior. That being said, she was just doing her job and (bluntly) ensuring that the rules were followed. Obviously, she realized that she was not the most diplomatic about it, so she gave you two drinks free of charge. I don't care how pissy an F/A gets during boarding with me; if they comp me some drinks as a peace offering (or do anything else to make it up), they get a gold star in my book. So many times, I've had unapologetic, grouchy F/As who are mean to pax the whole flight and don't seem to care. So, during the rare occasion when the F/A realizes they're in the wrong, checks their ego at the door and comes back to make amends, I always accept with open arms. After all, why not? Forgive, forget, enjoy being home. The end.
I agree 100%. I would take the drinks and just let it go.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:32 pm

It really doesn't matter what you paid for your ticket or where you sat, the FAA rules states: one carryon bag and one small personal item.

You should always expect this rule to be inforced.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The only time putting 2 bag in the overhead is acceptable is if you are in a bulkhead. Period.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:48 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Bingo, seriously get a life. Free drinks are the best too.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: CO platinum
Originally Posted by N1120A
The only time putting 2 bag in the overhead is acceptable is if you are in a bulkhead. Period.
...or if there is space left after everyone is settled.

- Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.