Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow... FA's treat people like idiots in Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow... FA's treat people like idiots in Y

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Exactly. I don't get why someone who has status thinks that they are better than someone else.
I know that I'D appreciate if you could point out ONE, just ONE example of an FTer saying this. I suspect others might as well.
In the meantime perhaps you should consider not posting false information.
Thank you.
Dave
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
Originally Posted by sbm12
If the one doesn't actually fit under the seat then this probably isn't actually true. One bag plus one personal item is not the same as two bags which only fit in the overhead bin.
It depends on the seat. My briefcase isn't very big and is pliable, and yet an aisle seat on a DirectTV equipped Boeing generally means it won't fit.

To be fair to the folks in F who put two bags up, the space under the seats can be pretty darned useless there too. (Although my bag always fits).

It would be nice if the underseat space actually matched the sizers.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
So let me get this straight Elites should be able to bring as much they want onboard, yet non-elites should be restricted to only 1 item? Care to explain? Carry-on bag rules apply to everyone, no matter if you fly every other day, or once or twice a year.
I didn't say that. The 2 item limit is necessary and reasonable, therefore it should be enforced for elites and employees not on duty also.

Do you understand that customers vary greatly in their value to the airline?

Airlines have great flexibility in how they implement rules.
The rules vary considerably with regard to checked baggage for elites vs no status, for example.
Top tier elites can check 3 bags up to 70 pounds without charge, etc.

Since overhead space frequently has greater demand than availability and boarding is often delayed because of this, it is quite reasonable for airlines to limit the number of carry on items brought on board by their least profitable customers to 1 item. This would also generate more revenue from checked bag fees.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Could have been abnormally-high carry-on due to storm

Did I miss someone mentioning that, with the storm, and everybody trying to get out of harms way, a lot of people were taking flights not originally planned, and maximizing carry-on so their luggage didn't end up elsewhere?

My guess is that that's a significant factor during severe irrops... nobody wants to check bags because they might end up on a different flight. This would also add to the stress of everyone on board, passengers, crew, everyone.

If I were working that flight, I'd try a semi-passionate plea to please let us gate-check your bags because our load of carry-ons is so heavy due to the storm and people not wanting to check bags. But y'know, it's easy to say things like this when it's someone else doing that job, not me.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by walkerci
The airlines brought this carry on baggage issue upon themselves when they started charging for checked bags.

There is no such rule that a passenger can put only 1 item in the overhead.

Now if someone's bag has to be checked, who should be the victim?

1. A loyal, top tier elite, frequent flyer that controls large annual travel spend and cannot afford to waste upwards of 1 hour a week waiting at the baggage carousel.

2. A non-loyal, non-elite, price sensitive, low margin, infrequent flyer with essentially no opportunity cost for waiting on checked bags.

The answer is obvious.@:-)

No, it's not. The glue that holds the social compact together is a social perception of fair treatment. Not always equal, but fair. You have no, absolutely no right to assume that being an "elite flyer" makes your time is more valuable than someone else's time. Elite status gets you precisely defined benefits. Take more and you are just a pig.

I once went through TSA security with Senator Sarbanes. I asked him if he got any special treatment. He said "I don't need special treatment, I always wear clean socks"
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Folks, the OP "threw in the towel" posts ago. Ad yet many here are still piling on. Enough already!

Many here wrote regarding the OP getting free drinks, move on.

Same goes here. The OP stopped posting. Lets move on!

Edited to add: I think overhead bin use is overrated anyway! As a 6 foot person, I lose no sleep with my duffle at my feet. Besides, it allows me all my stuff without having to get up!

Last edited by zrs70; Oct 30, 2012 at 11:52 am
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:45 am

The airlines brought this carry on baggage issue upon themselves when they started charging for checked bags.

There is no such rule that a passenger can put only 1 item in the overhead.

Now if someone's bag has to be checked, who should be the victim?

1. A loyal, top tier elite, frequent flyer that controls large annual travel spend and cannot afford to waste upwards of 1 hour a week waiting at the baggage carousel.

2. A non-loyal, non-elite, price sensitive, low margin, infrequent flyer with essentially no opportunity cost for waiting on checked bags.

The answer is obvious.@:-)

FWIW, I frequently see passengers bringing 3 items on board such as a large hand bag, a computer bag, and a roll aboard. I'm not talking about crew either, although non-working airline employees should be subject to the same baggage rules as other passengers.

IF the airlines really want to solve the carry on luggage issue, the solution is quite simple: Restrict non-elites to 1 carry on item.
I didn't say that. The 2 item limit is necessary and reasonable, therefore it should be enforced for elites and employees not on duty also.

Do you understand that customers vary greatly in their value to the airline?

Airlines have great flexibility in how they implement rules.
The rules vary considerably with regard to checked baggage for elites vs no status, for example.
Top tier elites can check 3 bags up to 70 pounds without charge, etc.

Since overhead space frequently has greater demand than availability and boarding is often delayed because of this, it is quite reasonable for airlines to limit the number of carry on items brought on board by their least profitable customers to 1 item. This would also generate more revenue from checked bag fees.
So basically your saying elites should be able to bring as much as they want onboard, yet non-elites should be forced to check the extra bag if they bring more then one onboard? I fail to see the logic in this. Again it don't matter if you fly every day of the week or once every 6 months or so. All carry on bag rules apply to everyone. I'm an FA and even I when I'm traveling on a personal trip, just bring my back pack as my carry-on item and just stuff it underneath the seat in front of me.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fail to see the logic in this. Again it don't matter if you fly every day of the week or once every 6 months or so. All carry on bag rules apply to everyone.
A perfectly well stated explanation of the HouCrew's attitude toward 1K/GS and Kettles. From a pmCO employee no less.
Well done , Sir!!!

Dave
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bseller
A perfectly well stated explanation of the HouCrew's attitude toward 1K/GS and Kettles. From a pmCO employee no less.
Well done , Sir!!!

Dave
Frankly that should be everyone's attitude towards all flyers. Has nothing to do with status.

Those are the rules. There are no special "put it all in the overhead bin" perks for status.

Stop trying to drum up some sort of confrontation where there isn't one.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:00 pm

Well done , Sir!!!

Dave
Ha alot you know about me. I'm not even Houston based. And this has nothing to do with attitude. It has everything to do with some people who think they are above others and that the rules don't apply to them. Like I said, I could care less if you fly every other day or fly once in a great while, all carry-on bag rules apply to everyone.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:04 pm

I mostly fly US, but this thread piqued my attention, because I recently had an encounter on this issue -- I think this is one area that really gets FAs and GAs very stressed out.

I was traveling with a child in F. The GA was having a day, and called F to board even though persons needing assistance with mobility were still backed up at the top of the ramp. (I don't think he could see that.) So, anyway, I'm standing there with my son, holding two duffel bags. They weren't that big -- I was easily able to hold both of them in my right hand.

Anyway, while we're standing in line at the podium waiting for the pax needing assistance to be helped, the GA is giving me the once over. He comes over and points to me and my son, and an elderly couple behind us, and says, "who here is together." I say, "I am not with them." He says, "then I need to check one of your bags." I say, probably sounding like a DYKWIA, "we are in first, and there will probably be enough room, can I just bring it down and then have it valet checked if there is not." He says, "no, it's one bag per person." I say, admittedly in an annoyed voice, "well, there's two of us and two bags."

He starts lecturing me -- "why didn't you say he (my son) was with you when I asked." I open my mouth to say, "because he's leaning on me and I didn't take you for a freaking idiot," but just say nothing, at which point he dismissively waives me off and moves on to the next person with his big stack of gate check tickets.

I actually tried to apologize later when he came up to the cockpit and said I understood he was just doing his job, but he shrugged me off and gave me the wave again.

So, who cares about my story. Just sort of tagging along to say that getting these planes pushed back in time is rough with all the carry on baggage, and people pushing the limits to avoid the checked baggage fees makes it hard for the FAs and GAs. It's not an easy job. I think this is one area that is going to be a continuing source of rudeness and angst. Just the way it goes.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ha alot you know about me. I'm not even Houston based.
A CAREFUL read of my post will show that I didn't make any such assertion. Your profile showing your location as EWR was my first clue.
And this has nothing to do with attitude. It has everything to do with some people who think they are above others and that the rules don't apply to them.
It has to do with this airlines' "new" attitude that the once a year flyer is the same as the GS. I think it's foolish beyond the pale, but apparently it worked for an airline hubbed at mid sized fortresses. Who am I to disagree??
Dave
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
regardless of the merits of the op's

initial comment i find that the US crews are generally hostile toward passengers and act and speak as if they if they are law enforcement invoking all kinds of federal laws and so on. somebody ought to rewrite the scripts to make them more customer friendly. you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
It has to do with this airlines' "new" attitude that the once a year flyer is the same as the GS. I think it's foolish beyond the pale, but apparently it worked for an airline hubbed at mid sized fortresses. Who am I to disagree??
Dave
And you seem to be insinuating that a GS is above the rules. Apparently that works in your world.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
And you seem to be insinuating that a GS is above the rules.
I'm sorry that you've misunderstood my point. GS should be given the "benefit of the doubt", IMO, since their spend helps to pay a whole lotta UA salaries. Apparently, the HouCrew sees it differently. Oh well.
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Apparently that works in your world.
I have literally NO IDEA what your point is.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.