Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow... FA's treat people like idiots in Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow... FA's treat people like idiots in Y

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by avi8tir
I was in group 1 and was sure to be the first coach passenger on the plane in order to secure overhead space.

This whole scenario seems to happen every time I end up flying Y.
By exhibiting gate lice type behaviors you will not ingratiate yourself to crew members or fellow travelers alike. Next time try to blend a little…

SunLover
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: United MP Platinum+ / 1Million Miles+ and Flying Blue
Hi;

well in some ways if I were a FA or CEO of United, and looked at the customers, I probably would think, we take, take and screw. And they just keep paying, and the revenues and profits margins increase. So, when I looked at those people, it would not be too hard to imagine thinking "idiots" or probably the word "suckers" is around the golf course lounge when the CEO is shooting the .... with buddies.

The only way to effect change is stop paying, boycott, or like the French walk out and greve. I seriously doubt complaints are going anyplace other than /dev/null
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
I'm really glad that you were sure to board first and secure sacred bin space! God forbid if you couldn't!

Hope I never fly with you.
I'm sorry, but if I am on an A fare and voluntarily take a Y seat, damn right Im going to secure my space.

And my point was how rudely the flight attendant was addressing me AND others. To the point that my fiance, myself and even the person sitting next to my fiance (she said she was 1K) all commented on the fact of how unprofessional the FA was.

So, you have a 1K a Platinum and a 1K making an observation and agreeing on the situation.

Guess you had to be there... sheesh!
The fare class, the "elite" status, the earlier flights, etc. are all moot points.

Fact of the matter is you didn't follow the rules and the FA called you on it. You created your own problem and your high and mighty attitude certainly doesn't help.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
If the FA was rude or otherwise discourteous then yes we would all probably be chastising the FA for it but instead she seems to have acted with decency and professionalism by merely pointing out a legitimate rule and by offering you some drinks on the house.

IMO we should be congratulating the FA for a job well done!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:31 am

The last time I was in first class, I was pretty much amazed that during taxi and takeoff everyone except me had left their seatbelts unbuckled, were slyly using their ipads/mobile phones and so on. And all while making sure to keep it all out of the sight of the FA.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
I'm sorry, but if I am on an A fare and voluntarily take a Y seat, damn right Im going to secure my space.

And my point was how rudely the flight attendant was addressing me AND others. To the point that my fiance, myself and even the person sitting next to my fiance (she said she was 1K) all commented on the fact of how unprofessional the FA was.

So, you have a 1K a Platinum and a 1K making an observation and agreeing on the situation.

Guess you had to be there... sheesh!

You voluntarily took a Y seat????? You took a standby flight, giving up your F seat on your confirmed flight. Now you are doing the airline a favor by not having them kick someone out of their first class seat so you can have it on a STANDBY flight?? Getting better every second, but you are right, you aren't a DYKWIA!!!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Is it really possible to fly three hundred thousand miles in mostly-F within 21 months and still not make GS?
Very much so. Very easy.

On the topic of this thread, what I've realized is the most unpleasant thing about flying UA lately is not the blended UA/CO staff, the planes, the service levels, etc... it's my fellow passenger. I've flown B6 and AS more lately ex-SEA and the flying experience is worlds apart from UA - because my fellow passenger is actually kind, courteous, and in a good mood.

Maybe we all could use that, OP, other posters, and myself included?

Last edited by bmvaughn; Oct 30, 2012 at 7:52 am
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
I would count getting to keep both bags in the overhead bin, some (probably minor in the grand scheme of things) verbal abuse, getting out before a hurricane, and two free drinks as a win. But maybe I'm just naive.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by rajsbasi
If the FA was rude or otherwise discourteous then yes we would all probably be chastising the FA for it but instead she seems to have acted with decency and professionalism by merely pointing out a legitimate rule and by offering you some drinks on the house.

IMO we should be congratulating the FA for a job well done!
There's certainly some less-than-ideal FAs out there. Some of them are, on occasion, rude to customers, and sometimes these customers will be flyertalkers. So I certainly believe anyone who claims to have been the victim of a rude FA. But it is notable how frequently these "rude FA" threads are started by someone whose story starts off "There I was, minding my own business and doing something totally unreasonable..."

The worst thing about air travel is that every minor inconvenience or insult is followed by several hours of sitting there with nothing to do except stew over it. If someone is rude to me at my local cafe then I've probably forgotten about it one hour later. If someone is rude to me on United then I sit there in a chair mentally composing a big long flyertalk post about it for the next three thousand miles...
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
The airlines brought this carry on baggage issue upon themselves when they started charging for checked bags.

There is no such rule that a passenger can put only 1 item in the overhead.

Now if someone's bag has to be checked, who should be the victim?

1. A loyal, top tier elite, frequent flyer that controls large annual travel spend and cannot afford to waste upwards of 1 hour a week waiting at the baggage carousel.

2. A non-loyal, non-elite, price sensitive, low margin, infrequent flyer with essentially no opportunity cost for waiting on checked bags.

The answer is obvious.@:-)

FWIW, I frequently see passengers bringing 3 items on board such as a large hand bag, a computer bag, and a roll aboard. I'm not talking about crew either, although non-working airline employees should be subject to the same baggage rules as other passengers.

IF the airlines really want to solve the carry on luggage issue, the solution is quite simple: Restrict non-elites to 1 carry on item.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum
wow, I guess some elites are over-entitled. I think some people used to F feel like everyone in Y should be HONORED that they are slumming it w/ the commoners.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by walkerci
The airlines brought this carry on baggage issue upon themselves when they started charging for checked bags.

There is no such rule that a passenger can put only 1 item in the overhead.

Now if someone's bag has to be checked, who should be the victim?

1. A loyal, top tier elite, frequent flyer that controls large annual travel spend and cannot afford to waste upwards of 1 hour a week waiting at the baggage carousel.

2. A non-loyal, non-elite, price sensitive, low margin, infrequent flyer with essentially no opportunity cost for waiting on checked bags.

The answer is obvious.@:-)

FWIW, I frequently see passengers bringing 3 items on board such as a large hand bag, a computer bag, and a roll aboard. I'm not talking about crew either, although non-working airline employees should be subject to the same baggage rules as other passengers.

IF the airlines really want to solve the carry on luggage issue, the solution is quite simple: Restrict non-elites to 1 carry on item.
So let me get this straight Elites should be able to bring as much they want onboard, yet non-elites should be restricted to only 1 item? Care to explain? Carry-on bag rules apply to everyone, no matter if you fly every other day, or once or twice a year.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Marriott lifetime Plat
During drink service she leaned over and asked me if I fly a lot... she had the manifest in her hand so I assume she knew my status. I ordered 2 drinks for my fiance and I and she said it was on the house. gee.... I wonder why
I don't think your free drinks were related to your baggage incident. I've been given free drinks in Y on several occasions, without having any prior run-ins with FAs.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
So let me get this straight Elites should be able to bring as much they want onboard, yet non-elites should be restricted to only 1 item? Care to explain? Carry-on bag rules apply to everyone, no matter if you fly every other day, or once or twice a year.
Exactly. I don't get why someone who has status thinks that they are better than someone else.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

...and I had the legal amount of bags.
If the one doesn't actually fit under the seat then this probably isn't actually true. One bag plus one personal item is not the same as two bags which only fit in the overhead bin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.