Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow... FA's treat people like idiots in Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow... FA's treat people like idiots in Y

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by avi8tir
my fiance had her purse only, which went under her seat.
So tell the F/A that, or that the other bag is hers. Odd you failed to mention it earlier.....

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
If you had said that the two bags covered two passengers, then the whole issue would have been resolved right there.

Programs: It's Complicated...
I am going to imagine LGA-IAH is one of those routes that there is a LOT of carry on bags and it is an absolute mess to manage boarding because of it. The OP mentioned they made sure to board so they did not get stuck with no space due to boarding towards the end. Maybe if people would stick to the rules then this would not be such a problem. They are really rules, not guidelines. You get one carry on and one personal item. Here is the note about the personal item from UA's site.

"In addition to one carry-on item, you may bring one personal item such as a shoulder bag, backpack, laptop bag or an item of similar size."

I think the FA was well within the spirit and the the actual rules to tell you to check our second bag and I commend them for doing so. Perhaps they would treat people with a little more respect if the PAX would show it themselves.

The carry on baggage issue on domestic flights is something that drives me nuts as it is an absolute mess with most people absolutely ignoring the rules on carry ons and then complaining about about FA's then they are just doing their job.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Sounds like OP did not like what he heard, so therefore the FA must be rude.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Oh, and while I hate to sound too skeptical, there are occasional trolls who start threads in the guise of unreasonably DYKWIA passengers (like the guy who flits from forum to forum complaining that his flight was delayed for a broken economy-class lavatory), so I have to ask:

Is it really possible to fly three hundred thousand miles in mostly-F within 21 months and still not make GS?

Definitely not a DYKWIA person... Im one of those people who avidly supports the FA's and backs them up when people are being out of line or rude.

And as to why I am not GS, I don't know.... this is only my second year flying on UA as I moved to Houston in Jan 2011 and am formerly a DL customer. Currently at 153,000 this year and thats before yesterdays flight has posted.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen
I'd have to agree that if a bag is too big to fit under the seat in front of you, it's too big to count as a "personal item". Quit being selfish, and check your second bag.
Agreed. The FA was right in enforcing the rules. No need to be rude about it, of course, but it should be enforced. The OP was in the wrong, regardless of how often he has flown, the status he has, or the boarding group # he was in.

The general rule is that you can bring one personal item (excluding purse, etc). One bag can go in overhead bin and one under the seat. This has been fairly consistent for every Y flights I've ever flown on whether on United, or on other airlines. As a general rule, you can check in more bags if you are an elite member free of charge.

With more full flights these and more people trying to take their bag onboard to avoid the check-in fee, this is to be expected. On my most recent flight in Y (the only segment that didn't get upgraded), I only had one bag as did my Dad who was traveling with me. We checked everything else in. He was in the last boarding group. At that time, the announcement was made that anyone with a rollerboard in the last boarding group must gate-check their bags. The FA also handled it nicely by requesting that anyone who can fit their luggage under the seat to do so as well.

Fortunately for my Dad, he only had a duffel bag which can fit under the seat if need be, so it was no big deal. I've seen some unhappy passengers who were the last to board (through no fault of their own; i.e. catching a connection) and was forced to gate check their one and only bag. Being in group 1 doesn't afford you the option to take up more space than you should take, because it takes away from others on a full flight.

I know everyone wants more space, including the legroom space in front of them, but it the considerate thing to do. During the boarding process, it can get intense with people trying to put everything on the overhead bins, so it's possible that FA could be under pressure and come across as rude. But I think the FA was wholly in the spirit of the enforcing the rule.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ryerflyer
So tell the F/A that, or that the other bag is hers. Odd you failed to mention it earlier.....
I agree a simple statement to the FA that the second bag was not yours but your fiance would/should have resolved the issue.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:26 pm

My point was there was a reason I was in group 1 and overhead space is 1st come 1st serve and I had the legal amount of bags.
Originally Posted by marvanit
Maybe harsh, but seems to have treated you appropriately if you brought two bags, neither of which fit under the seat. You admit you got on first, because you had the intention of hogging as much space as needed.
Originally Posted by Antipode
I agree completely with this. If the personal item doesn't fit under your seat, then it isn't a personal item. It's also common courtesy to only put 1 bag up because there usually isn't even enough space for everyone to put up 1 roll-aboard, much less a roll-aboard + a second bag, especially if that second bag is large.
+1. I'm heartened that so many of the respondents have pointed out to the OP that while his/her behavior and attitude may just have been "legal" (although as several have suggested, that's not entirely clear), they were hardly very social or considerate of the other passengers.

Typically these days, most flights on which I fly have load factors of over 90% or 95%. On narrow bodies, the overhead bins are for two rows of three passengers. Hence, whenever I have a piece of luggage larger than about one sixth of the capacity of an overhead bin (quite a bit smaller than the "legal" carry-on size limits), I will usually check it (or feel guilty on the very few occasions when I do need to bring it on board).

The OP's attitude of "1st come 1st serve (sic.)," coupled with the airlines' moves to extract as much revenue as possible from checked bag charges, is responsible for such antisocial behaviors as stealing the overhead space of other passengers. Some boarders will quite blatantly deposit their carry-ons in bins above unoccupied forward seats, then continue on back to a seat many rows further back. That type of behavior is shameful, in my opinion.

Meanwhile, the passengers who have been considerate and checked bags that they might "legally" have trundled on board are often adjured by FA announcements to give precedence to large rollerboards in the allocation of the overhead space. Particularly in the winter when traveling in coach, I've checked my bag so that I can use (less than) my "one sixth of a bin" fair share to stow my heavy overcoat or heavy briefcase . . . but that behavior is officially discouraged in favor of forcing in the largest possible rollerboards.

So while I don't endorse the OP's FA's rudeness, I do sympathize with her frustration with selfish passenger carry-on behaviors.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:30 pm

I really hate people who throw their rollaboard and "laptop bag" (pretty sure they have way more than a laptop in those things) in the overhead storage. People in first are the absolute worst about this. Even better when they stick the rollaboard in sideways just to make sure they can take up a whole compartment.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
nd was quite rude and spoke to everyone like they were morons. My point was there was a reason I was in group 1 and overhead space is 1st come 1st serve and I had the legal amount of bags.
...I applaud the FAs who enforce the common sense rule that most of us learned in kindergarten....and I really like it when they bust the "drop in front, head to back trick....Sir...you will need to place thatbag where you sit please....

Instant outperform Recognition :-)
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:11 pm

I'm really glad that you were sure to board first and secure sacred bin space! God forbid if you couldn't!

Hope I never fly with you.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
I'm really glad that you were sure to board first and secure sacred bin space! God forbid if you couldn't!

Hope I never fly with you.
I'm sorry, but if I am on an A fare and voluntarily take a Y seat, damn right Im going to secure my space.

And my point was how rudely the flight attendant was addressing me AND others. To the point that my fiance, myself and even the person sitting next to my fiance (she said she was 1K) all commented on the fact of how unprofessional the FA was.

So, you have a 1K a Platinum and a 1K making an observation and agreeing on the situation.

Guess you had to be there... sheesh!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
If you think the FA treats people in coach poorly, you should see how Y pax get treated on FT
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by fragment54
I really hate people who throw their rollaboard and "laptop bag" (pretty sure they have way more than a laptop in those things) in the overhead storage. People in first are the absolute worst about this. Even better when they stick the rollaboard in sideways just to make sure they can take up a whole compartment.

"People in first are the absolute worst about this."

Absolutely, but few on here will say it.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K

That all being said, I have flown coach a few times this year. Yesterday, my fiance and I took an earlier flight than planned LGA-IAH due to the incoming storm. We were booked on an A fare on our original flight but only Y was available on the earlier flight so we had no problem sitting in Y in order to get home (and not get stuck) in NYC.

I'm sorry, but if I am on an A fare and voluntarily take a Y seat, damn right Im going to secure my space.
This is the attitude that is killing you in this thread. You act like taking a Y seat on an earlier flight so you could get home before a hurricane is an act of kindness or generosity on your part. It is not, but a nice perk you have/earned as a 1K.

Originally Posted by Cargojon
If you think the FA treats people in coach poorly, you should see how Y pax get treated on FT
That actually did make me laugh out loud!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.