Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2012]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: UA Plat 2.2MM, AA nobody, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Saturday's UA 840 SYD-LAX is already on 2 hour departure delay.
As is the SFO flight - looks like they held the on time SFO arrival for the incoming LAX passengers to carry on to MEL so both aircraft were late going back out.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by OtleyFlyer
As is the SFO flight - looks like they held the on time SFO arrival for the incoming LAX passengers to carry on to MEL so both aircraft were late going back out.
Hmmm I see 870 taking off like a rocket

Those SFO crews know how to push the plane, just amazing take off.

Last edited by Asuka; Jul 14, 2012 at 2:40 am
Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
If it makes you feel any better, I've flown the route many times and not once arrived late. If anything, the flight arrives early most of the time.
It does! Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
[QUOTE=Asuka;18926985]Lie for the reason of the delay, we are now CO, they would beg/cheat out of anything.[/QUOTE. UA1760 was the replacement aircraft for the cancelled UA839 the night before. You can't fly two UA839's at the same time.....hence UA1760. I was on that flight.A great inconvenience,but a great crew to make up for the delay.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:44 pm

Monday Night July 23 both diverted to BNE

About the time the flights took off from California last night (7/23) I heard the first prediction for fog in SYD this morning. All of the flights from USA, UAL, QF, DL & VA were diverted.

Sydney, Wednesday July 25 flights from all directions were diverted and the fog started lifting less than two hours later meaning there will be quite a log jam waiting to land around 10am when they all try to get here.

Currently
Wednesday July 25
840 MEL-SYD delayed ~2.5 hours,
840 SYD-LAX delayed ~ 2.5 hours now ~3 hours late departing at 17.00
870 SYD-SFO showing on time - we shall see. fingers crossed, still at 14.45 departed 5 minutes early @ 14.40
IMHO getting the SFO flight out of SYD on time instead of holding it for MEL passengers is the better option - allowing SYD passengers the ability to be rebooked to their final destinations via SFO (an hour later rather than 3 hours later) but hopefully with more connections available - the main inconvenience is for the MEL-SFO pax.

Last edited by Aspen; Jul 25, 2012 at 3:39 pm Reason: updating times
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Could be problems with UA863, Aug 3

I was scheduled to fly PHX-SFO then out of SFO-SYD on 863 tonight (Aug 3), however, upon check in here in PHX I was re-booked to LAX and now flying UA839 to SYD. Check in folks had no idea why I have been rescheduled via LAX but most likely scenario is that UA863 is cancelled. Fortunately, I did not lose my GPU upgrade from UA863 and flying upgraded C on UA839, phew...
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by IainC

Fortunately, I did not lose my GPU upgrade from UA863 and flying upgraded C on UA839, phew...
Pretty darn lucky if they CX the other flight!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Pretty darn lucky if they CX the other flight!
Too right! Friday night flight, my heart sank when I learned I had been diverted via LAX, so very relieved that my upgrade was "protected" as well Just hope that there are no problems with UA839 tonight, its pretty tense flying UA SYD these days with cancellations becoming so frequent.

By the way still no word on the status of UA863, but UA901 (FRA-SFO) in flight and on time - this aircraft usually flies out of SFO as UA863.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:56 pm

Curious and curiouser

Too right! Friday night flight, my heart sank when I learned I had been diverted via LAX, so very relieved that my upgrade was "protected" as well Just hope that there are no problems with UA839 tonight, its pretty tense flying UA SYD these days with cancellations becoming so frequent.

By the way still no word on the status of UA863, but UA901 (FRA-SFO) in flight and on time - this aircraft usually flies out of SFO as UA863.
As the eternal optimist...............
And still being sympathetic to you having probably losing your favourite seat

Being re-booked via LAX is a much better scenario than arriving at the aerodrome to told you are being involuntarily downgraded

Certainly a lot of us have been re-routed when there has been a cancellation or delay but this has always required the input of a good agent (and prodding from the flyer who knows other routing options)

It is hard to fathom, but currently .bomb says your original 863 flight is on time but full in Business - is this part of some complex computer programme that has allowed UA to sell more Business tickets without downgrading any customers?

Good luck tonight to you IainC I hope you have a decent J seat

Last edited by Aspen; Aug 3, 2012 at 4:04 pm
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:02 pm

I was scheduled to fly PHX-SFO then out of SFO-SYD on 863 tonight (Aug 3), however, upon check in here in PHX I was re-booked to LAX and now flying UA839 to SYD. Check in folks had no idea why I have been rescheduled via LAX but most likely scenario is that UA863 is cancelled. Fortunately, I did not lose my GPU upgrade from UA863 and flying upgraded C on UA839, phew...
As an update to the above. UA863 appears to be on schedule and there is no cancellation that anyone is aware of. Nobody can tell me why my flight today has been rerouted from UA863 to UA839. It's all a big mystery really and is somewhat concerning as it would seem that this was the system SHARES that has made this change to my flights. Also concerning is the fact that I was never sent any alert that the itinerary has changed.

Originally Posted by Aspen
As the eternal optimist...............
And still being sympathetic to you having probably losing your favourite seat

Being re-booked via LAX is a much better scenario than arriving at the aerodrome to told you are being involuntarily downgraded

Certainly a lot of us have been re-routed when there has been a cancellation or delay but this has always required the input of a good agent (and prodding from the flyer who knows other routing options)

It is hard to fathom, but currently .bomb says your original 863 flight is on time but full in Business - is this part of some complex computer programme that has allowed UA to sell more Business tickets without downgrading any customers?

Good luck tonight to you IainC I hope you have a decent J seat

Thanks Aspen, perhaps your hypothesis is correct, it now seems the most plausible explanation for what has happened. I indeed have lost my seat 16A upstairs for 8H, but I am not complaining - I may have dodged the proverbial bullet today.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 5, 2012 at 9:26 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:21 pm

I am not sure if UA cancels its flights to Australia more than Virgin ,Delta or Qantas, but I am getting more anxious each time I fly them in case of cancellation or signifigant delay.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Might be related that UA840 SYD-LAX appears to have been cancelled yesterday (Friday 3rd)

Jeff
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by ozflier
I am not sure if UA cancels its flights to Australia more than Virgin ,Delta or Qantas, but I am getting more anxious each time I fly them in case of cancellation or signifigant delay.
Again as the eternal optimist......

In over 100 UAL trans-oceanic flights I have only been cancelled twice out of SYD, once out of LAX and twice diverted to HNL (one with a free day in Hawai'i)

Don't be too anxious
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by jswong
Might be related that UA840 SYD-LAX appears to have been cancelled yesterday (Friday 3rd)

Jeff
Yep, the plot thickens, you are correct, UA840 was cancelled out of Sydney on Friday, August 3. I am not aware that UA normally flies 747's from SFO to LAX so if I am not mistaken a replacement aircraft is on its way to LAX from SFO (UA6854) as I type and will go out tonight as UA839. Still, I would like to know why SHARES rerouted me from 863 to 839.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Yep, the plot thickens, you are correct, UA840 was cancelled out of Sydney on Friday, August 3. I am not aware that UA normally flies 747's from SFO to LAX so if I am not mistaken a replacement aircraft is on its way to LAX from SFO (UA6854) as I type and will go out tonight as UA839. Still, I would like to know why SHARES rerouted me from 863 to 839.
Perhaps passengers from the cancelled flight needed to rebooked and there was not enough capacity SFO-LAX, so instead they rebooked you through LAX and gave your SFO-SYD seat to one of the cancelled passengers? Seems a bit wonky, and unsure if UA would even do that, but who knows these days.

Edit: nevermind, read this as being SFO-SYD was cancelled, but rather it was SYD-SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.