Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:10 am
Original Poster

SYD-LAX UA840 was cancelled due to mechanical on 12th Mar - rescheduled for 13th as UA1753.

Today, 13th Mar, SYD-SFO UA870 started with a 2 1/2 hour delay, then 5 1/2 hour before being eventually cancelled. Looked as if the UA1753 and UA870 equipment were swapped to reduce the delay to the LAX passengers. (There would have been a riot if they had two overnight delays). Part was coming from Melbourne, but crew also went out of hours so tomorrow at 1pm as UA1756.

Check-in zone at SYD was a mess with long lines and some additional waiting caused by the new system, but they handled it pretty well and there were plenty of additional staff (presumably from UA corporate) to assist front-line workers with the new computers. My Mother-in-law required re-ticketing which took about 15 minutes but they said that they were pleased to "have the practice."

Will see what tomorrow brings....

Mark
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Do I [B][I]really[B][I] want to fly to SYD (from ORD) this July? Sounds like it could be quite a hassle. Not to mention, the R/RN available fares are sparse at best.

I was trying to 'bold' the word really... not sure why it didn't work. Maybe give it time.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by sim510
Do I really want to fly to SYD (from ORD) this July? Sounds like it could be quite a hassle. Not to mention, the R/RN available fares are sparse at best.

I was trying to 'bold' the word really... not sure why it didn't work. Maybe give it time.
Go (life is too short. SYD is a wonderful city, delays are infrequent in the big picture and the inventory issue will have settled (into what we do not know yet ) by then.

GO!

Lurker
PS: I fixed the bolding. You had started [b] but not ended [\b] the bolding instruction
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Lurker
Go (life is too short. SYD is a wonderful city.......
GO!
I agree, SYD is a wonderful city. I've visited 7 times already, and look forward to another one. Just trying to decide if I go (or not).... I'll make up my mind in a month or so. Heading to Europe this weekend first.

(thanks for fixing the bolding)

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 18, 2012 at 12:54 pm
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:52 pm

Yes go for sure. If you want star miles fly AC or NZ. UAs 744s are an embarrassment at this point unless you are in J or F but even then you have mx problems.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
863 is delayed 24 hours, reports that it turned around after take off
Old Mar 17, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Asuka
863 is delayed 24 hours, reports that it turned around after take off
Good afternoon from the SFO UC ^ I was indeed on that flight last night.

About 2-2.5 hours after takeoff, they announced that there was an issue with the radar on the plane, and that for everyone's safety they'd be turning around and heading back to SFO. Couldn't fix the issue in Hawaii, apparently. So, according to the FA, they dumped a bunch of fuel over the Pacific and we headed back in.

Here's where things get interesting: despite having 3+ hours to prepare, it was absolute BEDLAM in SFO when we landed. They segmented us into a few different groups:

1.) GS / First
2.) Business
3.) Economy (Which included 1K's)

So, I was placed in the massive queue with all of the econ customers and GM's, and there was absolutely nothing ready for non-GS. No BP's, no vouchers, nothing. It took me ~90 minutes to get out of there, only after I wandered over to a GA and asked about getting one printed (they were auctioning them off.)

The flight was thus delayed 23 hours and will be taking off this evening at 9:45. I totally applaud the decision to come back - I can't even imagine how much this fisaco is going to cost United - but the complete lack of preparedness when we landed, plus 1K's being lumped in with everyone else ... Really? Especially given there was a 2-3+ hour notice.

On the plus side, got a $600 e-cert just now ^

Cheers,
Adam

Last edited by DrDesmo; Mar 17, 2012 at 5:25 pm
Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was on 863 the 15th, the 45 minute connection time from ORD 493 apparently not enough to get 493's luggage on the flight. GA staff extremely incompetent for this departure in my experience, and they caused a 30 min departure delay trying to look for Aussie visas that should have been checked earlier. So I'm unsurprised at the chaos reported by the return of 863 on the 16th.

I can also report the usual 747 maintenance issues on my flight - out of service lavs, no hot water, rebooting of Panasonic junky IFE, and the usual batch of surly FA's.

Sadly I still don't have my luggage. Maybe tomorrow.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
I just flew SYD-SFO UA, plane had only 4 spare seats in Y due to 2 cancellations and associated rebooking. After doors closed captain demanded 4 pax in the last row of Y move forward to balance takeoff weight. (NFI how 600 lbs really makes a difference on a plane that heavy).

FA's had trouble moving the pax forward, one guy in a forward row insisted he had "bought" the vacant seat beside him and didn't want anybody sitting there. So we sat on the tarmac for a while until captain agreed that those 4 pax would move "back" to row 61 after takeoff.

Originally Posted by DrDesmo
So, I was placed in the massive queue with all of the econ customers and GM's, and there was absolutely nothing ready for non-GS. No BP's, no vouchers, nothing. It took me ~90 minutes to get out of there, only after I wandered over to a GA and asked about getting one printed (they were auctioning them off.)
I'd make my own hotel reservation from the plane, go straight there and save 90 minutes of stress, call 1K reservations and let them sort out the rebooking/reimbursement/etc.

And out of LAX, QF108 LAX-SYD departs 23:40 so that's always an option if the delay is known before boarding.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA/CO
Wow,so that 3/17 return of 863 was probably why my flight 870 was cancelled on 3/18.

I'm going to post a lenghtier post in the general forum about my recent experiences with UA past two weeks,but to throw my two cents in here,they had plenty of notice of cancelled flight and were handing out a stack of hotel vouchers. It was quite a mess at that paticular counter that morning.

They handed out those choice vouchers,either 5K miles,$100 e-voucher or 20% of e-ticket.

I ended up on a different airline the same day,but my luggage has yet to leave Sydney.

Anyone else missing luggage this long from that day???
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
From Flightaware, it appears that yesterday's UA839 was diverted to Brisbane, where it appears it was on the ground for about two hours before taking off for Sydney. Anyone know why?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...517Z/KLAX/YSSY
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sannmann
From Flightaware, it appears that yesterday's UA839 was diverted to Brisbane, where it appears it was on the ground for about two hours before taking off for Sydney. Anyone know why?

Today (Sat morning) fog is effecting operations in SYD & MEL
http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/flig...A&searchType=I

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/flig...A&searchType=I

http://bne.com.au/flight-info-bookin...eparture-times
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM
Originally Posted by sannmann

Most likely due to the fog in Sydney. I would also suggest today's incoming flights to Sydney would have been diverted too because of heavy fog.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
I was in BNE this morning (Sat 21) and the place looked like an A380 parking lot. SQ, QF, and EK all were diverted. As was UA. The place was packed to the rafters. I had fallen asleep and when I woke up - thought I was in the wrong city for a moment! Or drank way too much the night before (which could have been entirely possible)

Fog in Sydney caused the headaches...
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by cssaus
Most likely due to the fog in Sydney. I would also suggest today's incoming flights to Sydney would have been diverted too because of heavy fog.
More of the same forecast for Sydney tomorrow (22/4) morning and I am outbound from Sydney tomorrow on UA840 with tightish connection in LAX.

Today's (21/4) Sydney outgoing UA870 (SFO) and UA840 (LAX) showing departure delay of about 2 hrs for both flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.