Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2012]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 2:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PSTraveller
UA 839 LAX-SYD on Thursday night June 21 just cancelled and the return UA 840 SYD-LAX on Saturday June 23 is cancelled as well. Not a good couple of days for the SYD flights.
Yup, I was on that flight and now am stuck in LA for another day :/ Delayed for an hour and a half for aircraft servicing before they cut the whole thing. Thanks to an awesome phone agent I grabbed the last SFO-SYD seat for tomorrow, but lost my u/g in the process About 300 upset passengers left in the terminal when I left, most were being told Monday or Tuesday were the earliest they could leave.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by IADOrange
Yup, I was on that flight and now am stuck in LA for another day :/ Delayed for an hour and a half for aircraft servicing before they cut the whole thing. Thanks to an awesome phone agent I grabbed the last SFO-SYD seat for tomorrow, but lost my u/g in the process About 300 upset passengers left in the terminal when I left, most were being told Monday or Tuesday were the earliest they could leave.
This is interesting in that the flight is cancelled and not simply postponed overnight or ~ 24 hours. People not being able to travel for 72 or 96 hours sounds a little unreasonable
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by weebz
Newbie here. What happens if I was on a flight that was scheduled from SFO-SYD that got cancelled? As an F passenger, what are my options?
Heh heh best case scenario (in my situation at least) would be being flown to LAX and then taking QF to Sydney
My understanding is that the QF flight leaves LAX about the same time as the SFO flight so there would be no way to get from SFO to LAX in time to catch that flight on the same night. If the flight is cancelled, I think you have to go the next day. I don't know if any one else has a better strategy for flight cancellations.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
sounds like its time UA kept a spare plane around.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by why fly
840 (SYD-LAX) has been cancelled once in the last 14 days. During the same period, 870 (SYD-SFO) had no cancellations. You really think United should station an extra plane in Sydney when one of 28 flights is cancelled?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mmack
My understanding is that the QF flight leaves LAX about the same time as the SFO flight so there would be no way to get from SFO to LAX in time to catch that flight on the same night. If the flight is cancelled, I think you have to go the next day. I don't know if any one else has a better strategy for flight cancellations.
Correct. From SFO there's no options that will get you out the same day.

The only real alternative to waiting ~24 hours is to try and get them to put you on a morning flight via HNL. The problem with doing this is that the HNL-SYD leg is with Hawaiian, not UA, so there's no guarantee they will do it even if seats are available - but if you can pull it off then you'll at least arrive in SYD on the same day as planned, even if it's ~12 hours late.

From LAX there are alternatives that leave after the UA flight (QF and Air Pacific spring to mind) but they generally aren't going to be late enough after the UA flights that rebooking onto them is an option unless the UA flights are canceled early.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:02 pm

Spare aeroplane

Originally Posted by why fly
In UAL's heyday when they had 44 747-400s I believe there was a 'spare' 747-400 based in SFO that could cover SFO and LAX departures if one went mechanical.

BA used to always have two Concordes ready to go to cover the flight out of LHR in case the scheduled one ever went mechanical at LHR.

In today's day and age the accountants rule everything.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
If a SFO-SYD or LAX-SYD flight gets cancelled, does the MEL tag still operate? I know the SFO aircraft actually flies down to MEL, so what happens if there is a cancellation? Does UA still fly down to MEL anyways?

Would be nice to see MEL delinked from SYD one day, hopefully a SFO-MEL service link, can UA's 787's operate such a route?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by soorox
If a SFO-SYD or LAX-SYD flight gets cancelled, does the MEL tag still operate? I know the SFO aircraft actually flies down to MEL, so what happens if there is a cancellation? Does UA still fly down to MEL anyways?

Would be nice to see MEL delinked from SYD one day, hopefully a SFO-MEL service link, can UA's 787's operate such a route?
I thought the plane from LAX does LAX-SYD-MEL-SYD-SFO and the plane from SFO does SFO-SYD-LAX? I believe the MEL segments still operate as there are passengers connecting to and from MEL.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:48 am

Programs: UA Plat 2.2MM, AA nobody, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by USFdonWill
I thought the plane from LAX does LAX-SYD-MEL-SYD-SFO and the plane from SFO does SFO-SYD-LAX? I believe the MEL segments still operate as there are passengers connecting to and from MEL.
The flight numbers suggest that - but it is often (not sure about always) the SFO flight that does the turnaround - at least in the sense that the plane flying back to SFO is that one (since that is the later departure).
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by soorox
There are plenty of Virgin and Qantas flights to put people on for the relatively small number that actually make the MEL connection. I've certainly seem them do that before now.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by OtleyFlyer
The flight numbers suggest that - but it is often (not sure about always) the SFO flight that does the turnaround - at least in the sense that the plane flying back to SFO is that one (since that is the later departure).
If I am reading your post correctly (and I very well may not be) as it pertains to my post and the post I replied to, you are saying that the planes go SFO-SYD-MEL-SYD-SFO and LAX-SYD-LAX? This is almost never the case since the two planes need to switch in SYD or else there would be no rotation of the LAX plane through the rest of the UA network.

Last edited by USFdonWill; Jun 25, 2012 at 4:33 am Reason: grammar
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by USFdonWill
If I am reading your post correctly (and I very well may not be) as it pertains to my post and the post I replied to, you are saying that the planes go SFO-SYD-MEL-SYD-SFO and LAX-SYD-LAX? This is almost never the case since the two planes need to switch in SYD or else there would be no rotation of the LAX plane through the rest of the UA network.
Not quite - the bit I know is true every time I've been there is that it does MEL-SYD-SFO. You can watch it coming in from MEL from the ANZ lounge and parking at the SFO gate. It also used to be true in the past that it did SFO-SYD-MEL as well (I used to take it quite often and end up back in the same seat) but that may have changed with the lack of 747 rotations out of LAX.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by IADOrange
They might have been "told" that but Sunday (6/24) SFO-SYD (UA863) went out with only 178 in Y. Plenty of space. BTW, UD was full, but I saw 14 open C places for UG on the screen before boarding.

Lurker
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by OtleyFlyer
Not quite - the bit I know is true every time I've been there is that it does MEL-SYD-SFO. You can watch it coming in from MEL from the ANZ lounge and parking at the SFO gate. It also used to be true in the past that it did SFO-SYD-MEL as well (I used to take it quite often and end up back in the same seat) but that may have changed with the lack of 747 rotations out of LAX.
Back in April when I flew UA840 (SYD-LAX) UA incoming flights were delayed due to fog in SYD. UA changed the normal rotation in SYD and sent the SFO (UA870) out on schedule on the plane that remained in SYD, and while (UA840) departed 60 mins late on the bird that came back from Melbourne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.