Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2012]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by OtleyFlyer
It also used to be true in the past that it did SFO-SYD-MEL as well (I used to take it quite often and end up back in the same seat) but that may have changed with the lack of 747 rotations out of LAX.
If it did ever do that, it hasn't been for several years.

For the past few years at least it's been :
LAX-SYD-MEL-SYD-SFO and
SFO-SYD-LAX

If you look at the times this rotation makes sense - the flight from LAX arrives first (even if only by about 20 mins), so it can be ready earlier to proceed to MEL. The flight to SFO departs later, so it makes more sense to use the MEL plane.

The plane to SFO normally then continues on to a different route - frequently becoming UA900 to FRA, although it varies. The plane to LAX normally sits at LAX for about 12 hours and then returns to SYD. Not great utilization, but given that it's the only 747 flight out of LAX there's not a lot of choice!
Old Jul 8, 2012, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
UA840 was cancelled on Sunday out of MEL, it made it back to SYD as UA9911 and then continued onto SFO as UA9911 as a ferry flight only, no passengers.

The LAX flight was delayed and arrived into LAX at midday.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Asuka
UA840 was cancelled on Sunday out of MEL, it made it back to SYD as UA9911 and then continued onto SFO as UA9911 as a ferry flight only, no passengers.

The LAX flight was delayed and arrived into LAX at midday.
And blamed on "Airport Conditions preventing departure" once again, as if the airport was to blame.

Last edited by flyinbob; Jul 8, 2012 at 9:24 pm
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:26 pm

Fog in SYD

839 & 863 plus the QF 747 QF 108 & the Air Canada 777 ex YVR were diverted to BNE this morning. Delta & Virgin Australia in their 777s made it in on time plus the QF A380.

Last edited by Aspen; Jul 10, 2012 at 12:11 am Reason: Asuka kindly informed us AC33 diverted to BNE
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aspen
839 & 863 plus the QF 747 were diverted to BNE this morning. Delta & Virgin Australia in their 777s made it in on time plus the QF A380.
Air Canada and a MEL-SYD QF flight also diverted, there was a lot of holding loops on Flight Radar this morning.

863 didn't depart until 1am as well, not sure why, 839 left on time, so I doubt it was predicted fog.

Tuesday Depart SYD, 840 18:00, 870 14:45 Ontime

Last edited by Asuka; Jul 9, 2012 at 6:20 pm Reason: +1 hour for 840 departure
Old Jul 9, 2012, 6:55 pm

Tuesday Depart SYD, 840 18:00, 870 14:45 Ontime
This makes sense. The aeroplane going to SFO usually sits at SYD for ~ 8 hours and is used in SFO for another flight fairly soon after landing where as the LAX bound aeroplane sits on the ground in LAX for ~12 hours before returning to SYD. The inconvenienced passengers are the MEL for final destination SFO passengers. Anyone hazard a guess how many of those there are?

(not forgetting the 840 passengers who are not re-routed onto 870 to make connections etc) - wow - running an airline is hard
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:16 pm
Suspended

This makes sense. The aeroplane going to SFO usually sits at SYD for ~ 8 hours and is used in SFO for another flight fairly soon after landing where as the LAX bound aeroplane sits on the ground in LAX for ~12 hours before returning to SYD. The inconvenienced passengers are the MEL for final destination SFO passengers. Anyone hazard a guess how many of those there are?

(not forgetting the 840 passengers who are not re-routed onto 870 to make connections etc) - wow - running an airline is hard
Actually the inbound 839 goes down to MEL as it arrives before 863, then turns into 840 to SYD, 870 for the return flight. The 863 inbound plane is prepped for the 840 SYD-LAX flight, which is why often it's a struggle to use the NZ Lounge in SYD. Often I've stepped off MEL-SYD up the ramp, back down onto a fully boarded SYD-LAX flight. Wish they would have a scanner at the bottom of the ramp.

They do sometimes switch this order depending on delays like today.

SFO flight looks light today, maybe they just off loaded all the MEL SFO people onto 840. I would kill to have a decent few hours at the NZ lounge on the way out. It's a long time between food from breakfast to dinner doing MEL-SYD-LAX, since they don't serve a snack to SYD.

Either way Annie would be earning her money today with all the rebookings.

We are in fog season, so this won't be the last time this happens, maybe UA should look at reopening the LAX-MEL route, leave early, arrive at MEL without a Curfew and then fly back via SYD.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold; Million Miler
Melbourne to SFO people indeed the victims

Reporting from United Lounge at MEL... Indeed all the MEL people en route for SFO were rebooked for LAX with connections to SFO and other places. Initially we were told that the SFO flight 870 had been cancelled. Then the flight was 'uncancelled'. We managed to get our J uogrades recognized on the LAX flight but I think there were some disappointed passengers. As always the communications at MEL's Tullamarine airport were poor although the non UA check in folk were very pleasants and helpful, They seemed to be in as much of a bind and fog as we passengers. Currently the take off of flight 840 to SYD is 3.15 pm but who know when we will take off from SYD?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:42 pm

Those seat maps on UA's web site are sure inaccurate

Re the light load that ASUKA reports for today's UA 870 SYD to SFO. When I checked my reservation online last night the seating plan showed the flight was very full, almost completely full in Y. But the checkin people at MEL told me it was a light flight this morning on arrival at the airport - so merging 870 with 840 ( which was originally rumored to be the plan ) would be easy. So much for UA's seating maps. A little wrong is fine but something on this scale is ridiculous.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:47 pm
Suspended

SYD-LAX 18:00 arriving 14:02, which will give you some time in the NZ Lounge, go the Hot Dogs

I didn't think there were any UA staff in MEL? The lounge has contract staff as well, last time I asked about an upgrade, was told.

If you get really hungry go check out the NZ lounge, just say you would like a look around during a delay, they normally have a decent feed compared to the breakfast foods in UA.

Good to see they are keeping the lounge open, as it normally shuts after the last customer for 840 before noon.

Edit: 839 just fired up in SYD, on taxi about to depart to MEL according to FlightRadar24

Last edited by Asuka; Jul 9, 2012 at 8:59 pm
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:22 pm

No UA checkin people in MEL

Indeed, there are no UA staff at MEL. The checkin staff are employed by handlers who also deal with a whole range of other airlines. The checkin staff are very competent and pleasant all the same. They did, politely, tell me that SHARES was, ahem, somwhat less useful than UA's old software but that they mastered the essentials in a three week course. Mind you, when it comes to dealing with many issues, upgrades is one, the checkin people have to call the US with the same kinds of delays that we ordinary mortals experience. Surely check in staff. Should have a fast track phone?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:53 am
Suspended

UA840 - New Departure 18:40, the crew must be ready to exceed duty time and turn into pumpkins if I read the pilot Q&A correctly.

What has been the latest time of departure?

They will need to turn a 747 in 1h30mins and it normally only gets new head rest covers, vacuum in SYD too

Edit: Looks like they held 870 Departure 17:16 on taxi for take off

Last edited by Asuka; Jul 10, 2012 at 1:31 am
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:53 am

UA840 - New Departure 18:40, the crew must be ready to exceed duty time and turn into pumpkins if I read the pilot Q&A correctly.

What has been the latest time of departure?

They will need to turn a 747 in 1h30mins and it normally only gets new head rest covers, vacuum in SYD too

Edit: Looks like they held 870 Departure 17:16 on taxi for take off
Up until now - I had been so impressed with UAL's pro-active dealing with with the fog re booking MEL originating passengers to go through LAX who were going through SFO and possibly even re-routing some of the SYD originating pax to xxx via LAX on the supposedly on time 870 to make connections getting them to their final destinations on time.

Any clue as to this 2.5 hour delay ex SYD for the SFO flight ? Was it mechanical?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:13 am
Suspended

Any clue as to this 2.5 hour delay ex SYD for the SFO flight ? Was it mechanical?
Aircraft Servicing according to the website, I forgot about that flight and didn't pick up any alert from FlightRadar24 until it left.

It left rather quickly after 840 arrived, so I would say MEL SFO people did the ramp walk up/down in SYD and it left ASAP. It shot out of SYD like a rocket!

Aussiebart said all MEL SFO people were rebooked to LAX and onwards, but they might have changed their minds as they would need to use the Shares rebook code, which was published in the one of the threads recently, if they didn't know how.

Edit: 840 took a stroll out to the end of the runway and has now departed. Nothing speedy about that. The UA website did change the departure time to 10mins less than when I saw it pop up on the radar during taxi from the gate.

Last edited by Asuka; Jul 10, 2012 at 2:57 am Reason: 840
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:55 pm
Suspended

839 Went MX Wednesday out of LAX, looks like it took off and then returned

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.