Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2012]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:32 pm

I'll be taking SYD-LAX in a few months and I have to say this thread has me worried. I can't afford to be more than a few hours late. It might be time for me to look at another carrier
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM
Originally Posted by iexaltu
I'll be taking SYD-LAX in a few months and I have to say this thread has me worried. I can't afford to be more than a few hours late. It might be time for me to look at another carrier
I know how you feel! This year I've started flying Virgin Australia to the US and don't regret the change.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
863 is doing the leg SYD-MEL so MEL customers are going to get to SYD, which flight it turns into at SYD who knows.

Edit: 840 SYD-LAX gets the chop Friday.

Last edited by Asuka; Jul 12, 2012 at 5:54 pm Reason: 840 Cancelled.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Asuka
863 is doing the leg SYD-MEL so MEL customers are going to get to SYD, which flight it turns into at SYD who knows.

Edit: 840 SYD-LAX gets the chop Friday.
Where will the aeroplane Friday July 13 UA839 LAX-SYD come from ? Or perhaps Wednesday night's (July 11) cancelled flight will be serviceable by then ?

Maybe some pax flying SFO-LAX on Friday will get a pleasant surprise if they board a 747
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
If it makes you feel any better, I've flown the route many times and not once arrived late. If anything, the flight arrives early most of the time.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aspen
Where will the aeroplane Friday July 13 UA839 LAX-SYD come from ? Or perhaps Wednesday night's (July 11) cancelled flight will be serviceable by then ?
If they can't fix it they will send another plane and ferry the broken one to SFO for fixing.

The website reports returned to gate, 23:07 - 01:12, so maybe it didn't even make it into the air at LAX.

Given the fuel load, I wonder if they can drain the fuel or if it will sit all day with a full load of fuel.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:47 pm

If they can't fix it they will send another plane and ferry the broken one to SFO for fixing.

The website reports returned to gate, 23:07 - 01:12, so maybe it didn't even make it into the air at LAX.

Given the fuel load, I wonder if they can drain the fuel or if it will sit all day with a full load of fuel.
If it made it into the air it would have had to dump fuel because even being diverted to HNL once meant the aeroplane landed slightly overweight (a few years ago)

I am guessing the aeroplane is topped off to make it all the way to Sydney at this time of year to then sit all day in the sun with chock-o-block fuel tanks could be a problem as well.

Another interesting aspect of all of this would be: What does it mean to the crews pay etc? i.e. cabin crew were expecting to get paid for two long haul flights ( having to perform a minimum of hours every month) and flight crew have to perform a certain number of take offs and landings - this crew missed out on two (maybe three if they were scheduled to do the SYD-MEL-SYD tag) take offs and landings which are probably pretty infrequent if exclusively flying ultra long haul - they too have to maintain a monthly (yearly) minimum ?

Glad I'm not running an airline
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aspen
Another interesting aspect of all of this would be: What does it mean to the crews pay etc? i.e. cabin crew were expecting to get paid for two long haul flights ( having to perform a minimum of hours every month) and flight crew have to perform a certain number of take offs and landings - this crew missed out on two (maybe three if they were scheduled to do the SYD-MEL-SYD tag) take offs and landings which are probably pretty infrequent if exclusively flying ultra long haul - they too have to maintain a monthly (yearly) minimum ?
Not sure if they are paid the full amount during a MX on long haul flights.

The LAX-SYD-MEL schedule is a 6 day turn with 2 crews, LAX-SYD-Break-SYD-MEL-Break-MEL-SYD-Break-SYD-LAX. It's one of the most sought after (Bidding) routes, hence the seniors always on this route.

Pretty good job if you ask me, have run into a number of the crew in Melbourne and had coffee during their time off, since I do the flight so often, they almost seem like a 2nd family to me One lady (crew) I actually flew with her for 3 years, as luck has it we just had the same schedule. It was nice to see her smile on boarding, just made the 14 hours fly by.

Little things like Lindt Chocolates goes a far way to keeping the crew happy and it's nice to board with a "Welcome Back" or taking the time out to just chat on a flight.

The crew really love the coffee bags we have in AU, Robert Timms, as yet I can't find anything close in the US (no tea-bag like coffee)

Most of them just work because they love to travel and their pensions were cut during the bankruptcy. I wouldn't like to see a FA 3 months after retiring from long haul flights, they would be itching to fly again
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Delta and Qantas both have earlier flights to LAX, get in about 6am, and I think a better on time record. Delta is a 777, Qantas is a 747. If you fly MEL to LAX nonstop you can get Qantas 93, an Airbus 380.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:19 pm
Suspended

839 left 2 hours late, it did return to the gate although, 863 on time for landing.

Gate return 23:19 - 23:32, departed 01:07

United can't get a break on this route

Edit: UA839D is about to arrive, D for delayed?

Edit2: changed to UA1760

Last edited by Asuka; Jul 13, 2012 at 3:31 pm
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:16 pm

839 left 2 hours late, it did return to the gate although, 863 on time for landing.

Gate return 23:19 - 23:32, departed 01:07

United can't get a break on this route

Edit: UA839D is about to arrive, D for delayed?

Looks like all those crew members will get their hours after all.
I wonder where the extra aeroplane will be flying back to in California LAX or SFO?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Saturday's UA 840 SYD-LAX is already on 2 hour departure delay.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Saturday's UA 840 SYD-LAX is already on 2 hour departure delay.
Delayed - Airport Conditions preventing departure

Pull the Other one United!
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:24 pm

Why rename the flight?

Why would UA change the name of this flight from UA839 to UA1760? I can't think of any good reasons......

839 left 2 hours late, it did return to the gate ......

Thanks in advance.

--j
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jofegan
Why would UA change the name of this flight from UA839 to UA1760? I can't think of any good reasons......
Lie for the reason of the delay, we are now CO, they would beg/cheat out of anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.