Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Same for me, Actually I don’t think I’ve ever had an issue with fare classes showing..
expert mode is now working again on my app. Weird stuff
Old Sep 25, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
expert mode is now working again on my app. Weird stuff
My Android app is now not showing fare classes... (Expert mode is/was? enabled)

Edited to Add: My other Android phone is showing them....wild!
Old Sep 25, 2022, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy

Some funky stuff going on for sure
Old Sep 25, 2022, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy

versus

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
my app is showing the available fare classes currently. iOS
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Same for me, Actually I don’t think I’ve ever had an issue with fare classes showing..
If it’s not an iPhone, it’s not an iPhone.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 11:41 pm

I also cant see any fare buckets anymore. And I cant even find where to turn on expert mode. I dont see a preference anymore with this option? Can someone point me to where this should be now? Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:02 am

Their ticketing service was having issues over the early parts of the weekend. Supposedly was fixed sometime Saturday night, but not sure if that means everything got sent over for ticketing or left on a time limit. I had called in on a couple of my reservations that hadn't ticketed and they said it was good I called since it was never sent to ticketing and needed agent intervention to get it sent to the ticketing queue. The ticket came through almost instantly after that. No idea what would have happened if I didn't call (I'm guessing by the agents response it would have just cancelled automatically when the time limit expired? Hopefully they would have been able to restore/honor the original fare if that had happened), but if the reservation is showing not ticketed or you never got an email receipt, I would just give them a call. It was a pretty quick/painless process (or maybe I just got lucky with the agent I had )
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I thought it was just me? It's been that way since Friday
oh lol same
Old Sep 26, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Their ticketing service was having issues over the early parts of the weekend. Supposedly was fixed sometime Saturday night, but not sure if that means everything got sent over for ticketing or left on a time limit. I had called in on a couple of my reservations that hadn't ticketed and they said it was good I called since it was never sent to ticketing and needed agent intervention to get it sent to the ticketing queue. The ticket came through almost instantly after that. No idea what would have happened if I didn't call (I'm guessing by the agents response it would have just cancelled automatically when the time limit expired? Hopefully they would have been able to restore/honor the original fare if that had happened), but if the reservation is showing not ticketed or you never got an email receipt, I would just give them a call. It was a pretty quick/painless process (or maybe I just got lucky with the agent I had )
My itinerary never ticketed and I couldn't complete the process online. I finally called late Sunday night before the deadline. The agent I spoke to said there was some type of system migration over the weekend that was causing the problems. She had dealt with many callers with the same problem. Fortunately, she was able to complete the purchase and ticket the itinerary without any difficulty.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:29 pm

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Yeah I've had all sorts of weird things since Friday. The repeated log-in issue, can't select seats and have them stick, and the meal pre-order options that showed for my flights this week have disappeared. It says that all of the available meal options that should be available are "sold out" (LOL not even sure what that means when we're talking about pre-orders).
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
YES, same here. Glad it’s not just me.
Having to answer those security questions EVERY SINGLE TIME on my phone and iPad are beyond frustrating !!
Since Friday? You lot are lucky. I think I've been dealing with this for a year, maybe more. I'd say about 80% of my login attempts require the security questions.

But that's nothing compared to the 100% rate of the United app popping up a dialog saying "United Airlines. We're sorry something went wrong. Continue" every single time I launch the app on my iPhone. It's as if Kirby's corporate vision statement is being used for not-very-subliminal brainwashing. This issue has been with me for years, through several OS upgrades, app upgrades, and one phone upgrade 2 years ago. If only it came with 5,000 miles as compensation for whatever went wrong!
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Not sure if this is related, but for the past few days the my trips tab show nothing when starting a new session and I have to answer security questions every time I login.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
had no issues with a couple of tickets purchased on Saturday.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Not sure if the below should be here, or in the website issue thread, or somewhere else.

Flight details
Aircraft Boeing 777-300ER
Fare Type United Premium Plus (R)
Meal Check with operating airline

Really? Ummm, United, you are the operating airline...lol
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Expert Mode / Fare Buckets not working

The fare buckets stopped displaying for me on the ua.com web browser. Worked this morning. I checked the Expert Mode was enabled. I disabled & enabled it again Still does not display the fare Buckets on web browser .It is working on my phone.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Expert Mode / Fare Buckets not working

The fare buckets stopped displaying for me on the ua.com web browser. Worked this morning. I checked the Expert Mode was enabled. I disabled & enabled it again Still does not display the fare Buckets on web browser .It is working on my phone.
Not showing up on my web browser either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.